Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Cornell banning large group events....wait for it........ EXCEPT for athletic events ...with the reasoning that "attendance is largely Cornell-based"....

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/...ey/4973674002/
    And that is sound reasoning. Anyone attending or working at RPI has already been in contact with everyone else. Attendance at a hockey game is not going to change that.
    I hate this decision. If it was made for liability reasons, just put up a sign saying that you enter the HFH at your own risk.
    By now, everyone knows what is going on and they should be allowed to make their own decisions about going to a hockey game. JMO
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      And that is sound reasoning. Anyone attending or working at RPI has already been in contact with everyone else. Attendance at a hockey game is not going to change that.
      I hate this decision. If it was made for liability reasons, just put up a sign saying that you enter the HFH at your own risk.
      By now, everyone knows what is going on and they should be allowed to make their own decisions about going to a hockey game. JMO
      Completely agree. Shirley couldn't care less about the hockey team...that's why she hung MacElroy out to dry to face the media alone, even though he quickly pointed out that the decision was that of the administration, not athletics. The press event amounted to nothing more than a giant shoulder shrug by our A.D. and coach....emabrassing.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

what a joke. I should become a union fan ….embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          25 and JM. I get it but I don't see the rest of the country or state seeing it this way. SARS, Swine Flu, bad strains of seasonal flu and others have been extremely serious in our past. Social media and the insane hunger of attention from mainstream media have us all on edge. Where do we draw the line on what we can and cannot attend? IMO the games should be open to the public and if you don't want to go, don't go. No different than attending a shopping mall, restaurant, or any other public gatherings. Siena had 7,000 people at their game last week and?????? I will respectfully disagree on stopping the world due to a flu strain.
          100% agree, as of now its a simple virus, like MANY. Death has only come to the elderly and those with compromised health, just like many other viruses.. Very highly unlikely an issue for the majority going to or playing in a sporting event. Fully media driven, question is why?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            100% agree, as of now its a simple virus, like MANY. Death has only come to the elderly and those with compromised health, just like many other viruses.. Very highly unlikely an issue for the majority going to or playing in a sporting event. Fully media driven, question is why?
            It's all a plot to kill us boomers.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

giving away home ice that we earned all year

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                To be fair, it's a question of limiting the spread in order to protect the most vulnerable - the more people that have it, the more of a risk to the most vulnerable.

I disagree with the necessity of the tactic but not its usefulness. If we were to cancel everything for two weeks and require people to stay in their homes for that time period, that would probably stop the thing dead in its tracks. But it's unfeasible and unreasonable. This is not unfeasible but that doesn't make it reasonable.
                Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                  To be fair, it's a question of limiting the spread in order to protect the most vulnerable - the more people that have it, the more of a risk to the most vulnerable.

I disagree with the necessity of the tactic but not its usefulness. If we were to cancel everything for two weeks and require people to stay in their homes for that time period, that would probably stop the thing dead in its tracks. But it's unfeasible and unreasonable. This is not unfeasible but that doesn't make it reasonable.
                  The "we" which I have bolded would have to be the whole world for that to make any sense to me.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    The "we" which I have bolded would have to be the whole world for that to make any sense to me.
                    Which is why it's unfeasible and unreasonable.
                    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Well, that's what's happened in China, and the cases are coming down. My colleagues in China have been through hell, however, the data seems to show some semblance of it being a good idea.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                        Which is why it's unfeasible and unreasonable.
                        Yes, and that was my point.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                          Well, that's what's happened in China, and the cases are coming down. My colleagues in China have been through hell, however, the data seems to show some semblance of it being a good idea.
                          Can one really believe any information coming out of China?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
                            what a joke. I should become a union fan ….embarrassing
                            Just know that it is guaranteed that Union's rink will also be empty this weekend . . . and for the remainder of the season

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              I have intel that we are, in fact, bringing in a grad transfer. We'll see if it's correct.
                              Does anyone know if there is a list on line of players who entered the grad transfer portal?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                Cornell banning large group events....wait for it........ EXCEPT for athletic events ...with the reasoning that "attendance is largely Cornell-based"....

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/...ey/4973674002/
                                i know it's been nearly 40 years since I got my grad degree and attended my last game at Lynah Rink, but that statement sure wasn't true then for hockey. Like RPI, the student section was on one side of the rink leaving the corners, end and other side for staff, townies, alums and visitors. Even if the number not closely connected to the campus on a daily basis is only 1/3 of attendees, that's nearly 1,500 potential points of infection. I attended many concerts, shows and other campus events and they were generally just as campus-centric so it seems intellectually dishonest to create a separate standard for sporting events. Then again, they are nationally ranked in the two primary spectator sports (hockey and lacrosse) for the remainder of the academic year. That couldn't be part of the motivation.............

Comment

Working...
                                X