Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a list on line of players who entered the grad transfer portal?
    In D-I football and basketball, yes. I've never seen a site publish a list for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      100% agree, as of now its a simple virus, like MANY. Death has only come to the elderly and those with compromised health, just like many other viruses.. Very highly unlikely an issue for the majority going to or playing in a sporting event. Fully media driven, question is why?
      When you put it that way, it starts to sound like the Troy side. Our median spectator age has definitely gotten older over the last 10-15 years. When I was in my mid-30s I felt like I was pretty much in the sweet spot of our non-student crowd. I'm now in my late 50s and I'm over the median, but probably not by a big margin. We have a lot of senior citizens in our fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
        To be fair, it's a question of limiting the spread in order to protect the most vulnerable - the more people that have it, the more of a risk to the most vulnerable.

I disagree with the necessity of the tactic but not its usefulness. If we were to cancel everything for two weeks and require people to stay in their homes for that time period, that would probably stop the thing dead in its tracks. But it's unfeasible and unreasonable. This is not unfeasible but that doesn't make it reasonable.
        For what it is worth--I mentioned this briefly yesterday, but I think the fact that an RPI grad student died less than a month ago from the flu (non-coronavirus), as well as the disheartening manner of that death has impacted the decision-making here. For those unfamiliar with the story, 911 responders were unable to find the student's off-campus apartment when the student called for help several hours before being found dead.

I understand the frustrations and that the result is harsh on the team, but I am not sure RPI was in a position to take a wait-and-see approach--and I think if any one of us was charged with the decision, the recent events would have been hard to ignore when making a decision about campus safety.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          When you put it that way, it starts to sound like the Troy side. Our median spectator age has definitely gotten older over the last 10-15 years. When I was in my mid-30s I felt like I was pretty much in the sweet spot of our non-student crowd. I'm now in my late 50s and I'm over the median, but probably not by a big margin. We have a lot of senior citizens in our fan base.
          So perhaps we should have simply carded all entrants to HFH who appear to be over age 65. Sort of like a reverse ID check and only youngsters allowed in for the games. Anyone with a medicare has to go home and watch on TV!!
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            To be fair, it's a question of limiting the spread in order to protect the most vulnerable - the more people that have it, the more of a risk to the most vulnerable.

I disagree with the necessity of the tactic but not its usefulness. If we were to cancel everything for two weeks and require people to stay in their homes for that time period, that would probably stop the thing dead in its tracks. But it's unfeasible and unreasonable. This is not unfeasible but that doesn't make it reasonable.
            Glad you have come back to be the voice of reason and sanity (at times). You have hit on exactly the key in epidemiology and virology. If you can totally isolate everyone for the length of time that we have calculated the incubation period, you win!! Other than that, almost any other actions are sort of futile. Since you cannot rely on many people to do what is right, it has to be mandatory and enforced. In this country, it is unfeasible and unreasonable as you have clearly stated.
            Hopefully all of this will be a moot point as if this behaves as most respiratory viruses, the late Spring and early summer weather should put an end to at least the spread here. of course all bets are off for the Southern hemisphere where it may all begin anew. As far as i can see, the only really good thing about all of this panic is that it may now limit the spread of influenza for the remainder of the season which is a very good thing since this year flu has caused the death and severe morbidity of far more people than Corona.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              The "we" which I have bolded would have to be the whole world for that to make any sense to me.
              While it seems all this is an overreaction, a few points. Only1500 people in the US have been tested so far. My elderly neighbor returned from Florida and got sick. She is negative for the flu. Her doctor has no kit to test her for Covid. Second: YOU can accept the liability of taking your chances by attending, but you could get exposed and carry the virus to , say, your parent ,hypothetically , in the hospital. And spread it there. And those people did not accept the liability of you attending the game. Third: there is zero protection for people like there is with the flu. And Fourth: If many people were tested and the number of positives were much higher, would it change your feelings about what RPI is doing. All it will take is people coming down with this and even 1 person dying all traced to a large event especially if people get sick or die if they didn’t attend. The fact that Cornell or HS basketball is willing to throw the dice shouldn’t be seen as a sign RPI is hysterical.

Comment

I don't know why anyone on here would be surprised by the action of Shirley. Anytime she can steal the limelight, she's all in. Besides, I'm sure there's a political slant to her decision-making!

"The fact that Cornell or HS basketball is willing to throw the dice shouldn’t be seen as a sign RPI is hysterical." Really???
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a list on line of players who entered the grad transfer portal?
                  I don't think a complete list is released by a school or the NCAA--I believe the NCAA treats the identity of players in the portal as private. I think if you see a list, the player has either announced it or a beat reporter has surfaced the information on a player-by-player basis.

Comment

A post on the RPI Sports list. I am omitting his name.

I was heartbroken when I heard the news last night that because of health protocols the home ECAC quarter-finals at RPI would be closed to the public. I had mixed emotions after a few moments, realizing that I fit the criteria they are trying to protect: an old fart with Asthma since childhood. Although, I am in overall good health, working out at the gym three days a week, that I and other seniors who have supported this team for decades would be the ones who could actually be in danger because of the spread of this here-to-fore unknown virus. So, I will watch the games on ESPN+, which I am glad I purchased for $5 a month and will scream and yell at the refs from home, and cheer for my team so loud they can hear me from across the river...Now a few suggestions for the RPI administration and field house and public relations staff: do everything you can do legally to keep the team motivated, play fight songs on PA system during breaks, if possible, have pep band be in attendance, Put cardboard cut-outs of RPI Fans in seats on the south grandstand for players to look at and know they are there, and with them in spirit...for fans, stage a safe rally to support the team prior to the game outdoors, and being a safe distance from each other-7-8 feet apart front and back and sideways....even have pep band playing for the event...any ideas other fans have let the RR staff know in advance.

In closing, This book I am writing was going to conclude at the end of this season. So, In a positive vein, I will have a memorable conclusion to Puck U...

PS...RPI will you please put in those 'friggen' handrails us old farts need to get to our seats safely, by next season...
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                      I don't think a complete list is released by a school or the NCAA--I believe the NCAA treats the identity of players in the portal as private. I think if you see a list, the player has either announced it or a beat reporter has surfaced the information on a player-by-player basis.
                      I suspect that is correct.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                        While it seems all this is an overreaction, a few points. Only1500 people in the US have been tested so far. My elderly neighbor returned from Florida and got sick. She is negative for the flu. Her doctor has no kit to test her for Covid. Second: YOU can accept the liability of taking your chances by attending, but you could get exposed and carry the virus to , say, your parent ,hypothetically , in the hospital. And spread it there. And those people did not accept the liability of you attending the game. Third: there is zero protection for people like there is with the flu. And Fourth: If many people were tested and the number of positives were much higher, would it change your feelings about what RPI is doing. All it will take is people coming down with this and even 1 person dying all traced to a large event especially if people get sick or die if they didn’t attend. The fact that Cornell or HS basketball is willing to throw the dice shouldn’t be seen as a sign RPI is hysterical.
                        Not being critical of your post in any way - but you could have said this about almost 500 other communicable diseases. many of which are far more common and some of which are even far more dangerous. Although as a physician I would like to prevent every single case of every illness. I understand the logistics of trying to do that are beyond the realm of impossible. This disease like so many others, are respiratory and viral in nature. We cannot even enumerate how many there are or how many different types of each there are. We cannot test for many of them. Do we stop every one who has an Adenovirus, a Coxackie virus, or any type of influenza virus from being out in public? Unless, as Realet so aptly put it, we are willing to do the unfeasible, total quarantine of the entire USA population for at least a 2 week period, we are really just nipping at the edges of what well be a massive epidemic of infections (most of which might actually be going totally unnoticed with minimal symptomatology).

Comment

Here's what it looks like when a review is performed using logic and reason:

Message From Clarkson University

The University is keeping to its normal schedule, which includes events in Cheel Arena. At this time, we are asking anyone who has traveled to a location designated by the CDC as a Level 2 or 3 risk to not attend any Clarkson events within 14 days of travel, and the same from individuals who have been active in specific geographies or groups with known outbreaks. We are asking anyone who is sick or believes they may have been in contact with someone who is sick to stay home.
                          We are also telling our community and guests that it is okay to suspend social etiquette practices such as eliminating handshakes or other forms of personal contact when greeting others.
                          Throughout our campus operations, we are actively promoting the CDC’s counsel on everyday preventive behaviors. Stay home when sick. Cover coughs and sneezes. Frequently wash hands with soap and water. Keep hands away from your face and clean frequently touched surfaces.

""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

AP Top 25.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Can one really believe any information coming out of China?
                              Well, I can tell you I've spoken to my colleagues and they corroborate the improvement. Feel free to continue drawing your own conclusions.
                              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

someone else mentioned it earlier, I didn't see the answer - has the Institute stopped holding >100 person classes in the lecture halls?
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X