Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    I'm going to be optimistic about this hire because I think we owe it to all of ourselves to try optimism for a change after years of not feeling much of any. I do agree that the staff is going to be important so it will be interesting who he brings in and you'd like to see someone who knows NCAA a bit better. I was trying to find a comparable situation and the only one I could find was Mike Haviland at Colorado College and those results have not been good but at the same time CC hasn't really been good since Lucia left in the 1990s and outside the 50s it really was the only time they were good. Every situation is different but I think that the profile of Woodcroft is something that can work at UVM because I think it's a job that needs a coach who loves to coach.
    I think UVM was looking for someone like Greg Carvel. Woodcroft seems to have the exact resume, although he didn't play US college hockey.

If it came down to Barr and Woodcroft, one is straight off the Carvel tree and the other is very similar in background. Let's hope we get the similar turn around results.

I'm very impressed with the preparedness of Woodcroft. He's going to have the team ready to play and pay attention to the small details. The google video links were interesting. He speaks very passionately. The video on faceoffs is great. And in another, he speaks to the need to push the puck north..owning the space in front of you. Hopefully, the team will be fun to watch.

Comment

Having him as a head coach who has demonstrated a passion for player development is going to make recruiting and retaining players much easier. The thing that most worries me is the transition from assistant to head coach. Staff picks are going to be really important and I think he will attract a larger pool of staff talent than a Hockey East assistant or past head coach would have.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        Keefe does this every year....No clue why these reporters fall for his tricks.
        reporter

singular

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
          reporter

singular
          heh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            Keefe does this every year....No clue why these reporters fall for his tricks.
            ZXlax
            Apparently you are an equal opportunity curmudgeon. Besides Providence, other college's threads are fortunate to be able to benefit from sharp wit, wisdom and insights.

For the UVM fans:
            I hope your new coach can come close to doing as much for your program as Keefe has done for NU. Over the years, NU hired a couple of coaches who came from the pro ranks (Flaman and Cronin). We learned that each had similar, but modest hurdles to overcome. First they learned that they can't coach and treat college players the same way they managed professionals for a variety of reasons.. Second, they, and their assistants, had a few recruiting disappointments until they had a clearer idea of which junior players were capable of playing D1 hockey and would take their studies seriously. Do not expect Instant PC/Lowell types instant miracles. Give the man 3-4 years to show what he can do. I hope you have better results than Wisconsin has had after 4 years and flashy recruits with Tony Granato.

Despite the fact that your team solidly whipped my Huskies in February, and nearly spoiled our season , I hope your new coach makes your program more than competitive again, and that trips to the Gutt are, once again, something to look forward to.
            Good luck!
            Last edited by HHound; 04-16-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
              Apparently you are an equal opportunity curmudgeon. Besides Providence, other college's threads are fortunate to be able to benefit from sharp wit, wisdom and insights.

For the UVM fans, I hope your new coach can come close to doing as much for your program as Keefe has done for NU. Over the years, NU hired a couple of coaches who came from the pro ranks (Flaman and Cronin). We learned that each had two modest hurdles to overcome. First they learned that they can't coach and treat college players the same way they managed professionals. Second, they, and their assistants, had a few recruiting disappointments until they had a bit better idea of which junior players were capable of playing D1 hockey and would take their studies seriously. Do not expect Instant PC/Lowell types instant miracles. Give the man 3-4 years to show what he can do. I hope you have better results than Wisconsin has had after 4 years and flashy recruits with Tony Granato.

Despite the fact that your team solidly whipped my Huskies in February, and nearly spoiled our season , I hope your new coach makes your program more than competitive again, and that trips to the Gutt are, once again, something to look forward to.
              Good luck!
              I don't think anyone here is expecting instant miracles. The leading point scorer this year was at 15 so I think we all know there's a lot of work ahead to get out of this and besides UVM doesn't have a quick trigger on firing any coach. Also what UVM is going through is way worse than Lowell under McDonald at in a 10 year stretch at least by record. Lowell strung together some decent seasons in that time and were 17 games under .500...UVM was 64. Not to say what Bazin has done isn't short of remarkable but UVM is at rock bottom and it feels like Lowell got ahead of heading that direction when it made the move. Probably similar to Providence before Leaman for sure. Most of us just want to be in a place where 4 years in something good is happening. and

Really hope it was made clear in the process what UVM is. Most of us who are longtime followers know that the flashy big time recruits rarely come here and it's about getting those guys who build into better players. Have to hope both parties know the deal going in and that's why getting a staff is pretty important. Also the academic stuff UVM never hires someone that doesn't know the deal there and that will be drilled in Woodcrofts head every day by the administration so again you hope that's all square. I do think you'll see a very experienced college coach on there or at least someone who is on a current staff that is looking to move up but that's just my guess. UVM is still a Hockey East coaching job and for some guys might be a nice pay bump depending on what the assistant coaching budget is. Few years back they were getting their assistants in the 80-100k range which is pretty solid living in Burlington and for probably a few coaches a nice pay bump.

Comment

• congrats UVM hockey & all the best.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Congrats! UVM is a long-time staple in our league and a competitive Catamount program only enhances the league. I look forward to more great battles, such as the 2009 National semifinal in DC (sorry...had to get that in).

Comment

Looks like fans can submit questions for Woodcroft and Schulman for a Q&A session: https://uvmathletics.com/sb_output.aspx?form=98

Comment

Just listened to the Woodcroft interview on 101.3. Sounds like he is keeping Jeff Hill as an assistant and has another person lined up to come in. Has friends involved with other Hockey East programs and is looking forward to 'putting the boot to them' A friend involved in Hockey East made him aware of the opportunity and provided the introduction to Schulman. UVM checks all his boxes: Small campus/small town/program with community support and a strong history. Fully understands the academic requirements. I'm excited for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                        ZXlax

For the UVM fans:
                        I hope your new coach can come close to doing as much for your program as Keefe has done for NU. Over the years, NU hired a couple of coaches who came from the pro ranks (Flaman and Cronin). We learned that each had similar, but modest hurdles to overcome. First they learned that they can't coach and treat college players the same way they managed professionals for a variety of reasons.. Second, they, and their assistants, had a few recruiting disappointments until they had a clearer idea of which junior players were capable of playing D1 hockey and would take their studies seriously. Do not expect Instant PC/Lowell types instant miracles. Give the man 3-4 years to show what he can do. I hope you have better results than Wisconsin has had after 4 years and flashy recruits with Tony Granato.

Good luck!
                        My comment was about Jerry Keefe's actions every year when the reporter that should not be named falls for his tricks. It has been like five straight years of it and that reporter continues to fall for it.
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                          Just listened to the Woodcroft interview on 101.3. Sounds like he is keeping Jeff Hill as an assistant and has another person lined up to come in. Has friends involved with other Hockey East programs and is looking forward to 'putting the boot to them' A friend involved in Hockey East made him aware of the opportunity and provided the introduction to Schulman. UVM checks all his boxes: Small campus/small town/program with community support and a strong history. Fully understands the academic requirements. I'm excited for next season.
                          He's saying a lot of the right things. Seems like a strong presence too. This program won't fix itself overnight, but he seems like the kind of guy who knows the expectations and has a plan. His talk about recruiting is interesting.
                          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by VT-Alumni View Post
                            I think UVM was looking for someone like Greg Carvel. Woodcroft seems to have the exact resume, although he didn't play US college hockey.

If it came down to Barr and Woodcroft, one is straight off the Carvel tree and the other is very similar in background. Let's hope we get the similar turn around results.

I'm very impressed with the preparedness of Woodcroft. He's going to have the team ready to play and pay attention to the small details. The google video links were interesting. He speaks very passionately. The video on faceoffs is great. And in another, he speaks to the need to push the puck north..owning the space in front of you. Hopefully, the team will be fun to watch.
                            Sounds like you were right about UVM looking for the Carvel model. I just listened to a sports radio interview he did in Winnipeg with the local drive hosts and he basically said during the process UVM was looking for someone who had a similar background to what Carvel had and would like to see what UMass is done replicated from a total revamp of the team and leadership. It is surprising to realize really Carvel had little NCAA experience beside the one year at St. Lawrence where he was the coach in waiting. It was just two years at Amherst before all NHL. Woodcroft also said he had a video conference with the current players today and would be talking to the incoming recruits tonight. Hopefully next is making sure a staff is finalized and planning on when he can actually get to Burlington.

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              He's saying a lot of the right things. Seems like a strong presence too. This program won't fix itself overnight, but he seems like the kind of guy who knows the expectations and has a plan. His talk about recruiting is interesting.
                              Forgive me, but what did he say about recruiting? I missed the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                                Forgive me, but what did he say about recruiting? I missed the interview.
                                Here's the interview in full: https://www.1013thegame.com/new-uvm-...-huddle-audio/

the 8:50ish mark is where he starts discussing. Talks about the target of having a strong "backyard" where we'll never be out-recruited (and we've gotten sniped on VT recruits quite a bit in recent years, guys like Haskins, Finkelstein, and Samuelsen all committing elsewhere), spending time in emerging markets and understanding recruiting overseas, talks a bit about his connections in Sweden specifically.
                                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Working...
                                X