2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

To compete in Hockey East Vermont will likely need to recruit heavily in Europe like UConn has seen some success with. It will be difficult to out recruit the BC's and BU's for the elite US players. Vermont's location could be helpful for recruiting Quebec and Eastern Ontario too. This coach has an outstanding resume to recruit across all of Europe not just in a particular region. Looks like a very good choice. Good luck UVM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
      Here's the interview in full: https://www.1013thegame.com/new-uvm-...-huddle-audio/

the 8:50ish mark is where he starts discussing. Talks about the target of having a strong "backyard" where we'll never be out-recruited (and we've gotten sniped on VT recruits quite a bit in recent years, guys like Haskins, Finkelstein, and Samuelsen all committing elsewhere), spending time in emerging markets and understanding recruiting overseas, talks a bit about his connections in Sweden specifically.
      Thank you for that. Even more excited now. Again, excellent choice.

Comment

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-12...here-1.1467241

Here's that Winnipeg radio interview with Woodcroft from earlier today.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          My comment was about Jerry Keefe's actions every year when the reporter that should not be named falls for his tricks. It has been like five straight years of it and that reporter continues to fall for it.
          He either falls for it or he is in on it. Neither side is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Groot View Post
            He either falls for it or he is in on it. Neither side is good.
            Thank you!
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Hope Coach Woodcroft works out for UVM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Nice CHN column on the hire: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Is-In-Good.php

Speaks French and sounds like a little bit of Russian which I did feel was an important thing to have especially if there's talent in Quebec. Columnist who knew him from his coaching beginnings in the Iowa area says reminded him of a young Nate Leaman which would be great for UVM.

Comment

CHN Q&A: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...w-Vermont-.php

Comment

• I like the part about developing players. As we know, that’s been sorely missing.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Congrats! UVM is a long-time staple in our league and a competitive Catamount program only enhances the league. I look forward to more great battles, such as the 2009 National semifinal in DC (sorry...had to get that in).
                      UVM hockey has not been relevant for a decade. Under Sneddon, they not only lost, but were boring to watch. Vermont deserves so much better.
                      UVM has great fans, a terrific old hockey barn and should be a factor again in Hockey East.
                      Maine rode Swayman back to relevance, and a competitive Vermont only makes for a better Hockey East.
                      The Catamounts are rolling the dice by hiring a coach with no college experience, but it appears to be a chance worth taking.

Comment

I would liken Woodcroft to Norm Bazin. Norm served as assistant coach at Umass-Lowell and Colorado College. The difference being that he has had three years head coaching experience at Hamilton before taking over at UMass-Lowell. While Todd was an assistant ,but not for college teams. Norm may be a bit older than Todd by only a few years. Both are from Canada I believe. I hope that he can make Vermont competitive once again in Hockey East. There are no guarantees for success when hiring any coach.

Comment

I am excited for the future of UVM hockey for first time in a very long time! many of the article i have read over last few days on the new coach he is going to be a strong coach who knows what he is doing and has the team prepared at all times also sounds like he is a great person who people here are going to love and will hold all parts of the program accountable for the performance! Rome wass not built in a day but I think if everyhing in place we can all be proud of Vermont hockey once more! A new era begins!! I pray every day for things to be normal by then and hockey season can start!
                          Not to be a rabble rowser but I wonder if those fans who left here because all the negativity will come back into the fold! What do they think about this. I think all us haters have gotten a lot of the hate out and want to get back to feeling good about UVM hockey!!

Comment

I saw this and think it's a pretty good take on the situation: https://twitter.com/nickmumley11/sta...03227573878784

If you don't click through it's one of the local radio guys saying in reply to Jeff Cox tweeting a story behind a paywall about how UVM dropped the ball not hiring a NCAA coach but the response from the local guy basically says Barr is a good NCAA coach and Woodcroft is a good HOCKEY coach and that it's something many of the NCAA hockey media out there don't want to admit. We won't know how it all comes together and a few years will be the true judge of that but from the start I said UVM needs a guy who puts making guys better as their priority. I think the recruiting can improve a lot but at the same time we all know this roster is unlikely to be loaded top to bottom with draft picks and it's going to have to be the guys below that or diamonds in the rough that you can't lose and by the time they are done here they've left a mark and can go off to have a good career at NHL or strong AHL career or in top leagues overseas. All about building back up the respect of the program and being sustainable and I think on ice coaching and development will always keep things level or elevate them at UVM. Also here's another Free PRess article on how they got to Woodcroft https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ig/5144924002/

Comment

With all the chatter about the coaching change an award may have been missed and a round of applause is due for Stefanos Lekkas for being one of the Unsung Hero Award winners. The award was issued a few days ago and the following is the release from Hockey East: http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...hero-award.php Some pretty impressive numbers indicate a pro future to me. I can see him rising from Fort Wayne in the ECHL to an AHL team. Fort Wayne got a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                                With all the chatter about the coaching change an award may have been missed and a round of applause is due for Stefanos Lekkas for being one of the Unsung Hero Award winners....
                                This! I always regarded Lekkas as one of the best goaltenders in a league steeped in top-flight goaltending. A kid who could (and did) steal a game from any opponent on any given night. Glad he finally got some recognition.
                                Last edited by Split-N; 04-18-2020, 05:54 PM.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X