2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Really like what I see about this guy!!He will develop the players. Needs some good assistants on the recruiting side to help round the staff to make it successful. Good hire UVM!

Comment

• Re: 2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

From the CHN story

"And to be clear, as opposed to some rumors floating around, Woodcroft was Schulman's first choice. No one else was offered the position or "pulled themselves out of the running," the old canard of coaches who are trying to save face."

Comment

Originally posted by Groot View Post
        From the CHN story

"And to be clear, as opposed to some rumors floating around, Woodcroft was Schulman's first choice. No one else was offered the position or "pulled themselves out of the running," the old canard of coaches who are trying to save face."
        This usually happens but I am curious with this whole side discussion from outside posters. Who is the hockey writer who that people were saying is out to promote his guy or a certain coach has under his thumb? McMahon or Cox? I could see both having their biases based on connections but what's interesting is after the initial out of left field feel for this hire only Cox has been panning the hire consistently. McMahon did post a few tweets last night talking to other coaches who say Woodcroft will learn quick and was compared to Carvel by others. https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...98983732477955

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
          This usually happens but I am curious with this whole side discussion from outside posters. Who is the hockey writer who that people were saying is out to promote his guy or a certain coach has under his thumb? McMahon or Cox? I could see both having their biases based on connections but what's interesting is after the initial out of left field feel for this hire only Cox has been panning the hire consistently. McMahon did post a few tweets last night talking to other coaches who say Woodcroft will learn quick and was compared to Carvel by others. https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...98983732477955
          Everyone has biases. "Bias" is not the issue. Any human being can have a preference (bias) for one thing over another, as a matter of opinion. Allowing yourself to be used for propaganda, however, is a different story.

McMahon works for CHN - so it's doubtful that a CHN article would be referring to their own guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
            It is Cox that is used every year by Keefe. Cox mentioned Keefe for every job opening in New England/upstate NY for at least the last five years. He mentioned him for the Merrimack opening, the BU head assistant job, Vermont and AIC just off the top of my head.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              It is Cox that is used every year by Keefe. Cox mentioned Keefe for every job opening in New England/upstate NY for at least the last five years. He mentioned him for the Merrimack opening, the BU head assistant job, Vermont and AIC just off the top of my head.
              Really guys, you need to stop taking up space in the UVM thread, which now has more important things to discuss, and move your complaints over to the Northeastern thread, where I'm sure you'll find plenty of nice people with which to engage. Just suffice it to say that Jerry Keefe is known and respected, and hardly needs a journalist/blogger to carry water for him.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Cox lol good for u Vermont

Comment

So excited about the new coach and for this team to have a new direction. May be time for a new thread.

Comment

I'm just hoping now Woodcroft can get a staff together and get to UVM by June if it's safe to do so with a visa so he can enter the states since Trump has paused visas and is talking about more immigration bans. I'm no expert on the subject and I would assume UVM did its homework to make sure Woodcroft had everything in order but it would be really unfortunate if political factors on top of medical and science factors kept him from starting his job in town.

Comment

I'm just hoping now Woodcroft can get a staff together and get to UVM by June if it's safe to do so with a visa so he can enter the states since Trump has paused visas and is talking about more immigration bans. I'm no expert on the subject and I would assume UVM did its homework to make sure Woodcroft had everything in order but it would be really unfortunate if political factors on top of medical and science factors kept him from starting his job in town.
                      I believe Canada is exempt from that order.

Comment

He may be lucky if his check clears, never mind hiring assistants. Locally here, Union, Siena and RPI have furloughed hundreds of employees. At RPI the furlough order is said to include all hockey staff, except the head coach.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          He may be lucky if his check clears, never mind hiring assistants. Locally here, Union, Siena and RPI have furloughed hundreds of employees. At RPI the furlough order is said to include all hockey staff, except the head coach.
                          The local paper here says that right now he is taking a reduced salary that under the current situation he'd make $165,000 a year and when the university returns to normal operations he's bumped to the $275,000 annually that he agreed to in the contract. It will be something to monitor my guess is that Jeff Hill likely stays on for at least another year given what's going on now and he'll need a man on the ground if he's unable to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            I believe Canada is exempt from that order.
                            The Canadian Border is closed until at least mid-May. That will be his hold up. The greencard order isn't a factor as Woodcroft would be here on a work visa, which weren't part of the Trump order.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              UVM's stance is to remotely work if at all possible. Woodcroft is capable of doing a lot of work from home currently and will not be furloughed. I'm not sure how those colleges work, but UVM has to reimburse Unemployment dollar for dollar, so if they can find something for the person to do its far better to keep them on payroll since they are paying them one way or the other. UI would be cheaper, but the University gains nothing from it.
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

A short podcast from UVM talking to Jerry Tarrant who was on the search committee about Woodcroft: https://open.spotify.com/episode/2ai...Sh6XWGMmyMVkFQ

Gives some interesting insights as Tarrant says Woodcroft is going to have good relationships with advisors/agents for kids who are looking to get their guys to the next level with a pro pedigree which will have them in the conversation with high caliber players. Says also that Woodcroft is bilingual in French and that it was Jeff Hill who was trying to open up doors in Quebec again. Also mentions the international stuff as well. Thinks the biggest learning curve is going to be having less practice time with guys and how to best manage the time they have since in the NHL you have unlimited time and these guys have to go to class but thinks Woodcroft is aware and his development background speaks for itself. It's a good listen about 23 minutes long.

Comment

Working...
                                X