X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
    Depends on your willingness to wear a tinfoil hat. IF the Chinese weaponized the common cold (which this is) they most certainly would have developed and used a vaccine on themselves, right? Given what the political climate was in Hong Kong and China at the time this started to spread, it's not all that far-fetched. Remember at the beginning, China wasn't (still aren't) all that forthcoming with information or allowing outside help. This is also one of the reasons this has grown as big as it has.
    Sure you aren't describing the White House and their lack of info and responses until yesterday? You want a day by day list of what the Orange Man Child said over the last 2 weeks regarding the virus or what his tool V.P. said while sucking up to in praise while wiping bodily fluids off his lips from the Boss? The word Hoax was used how many times?

Many reports from China, unfiltered, of what happened. Weaponized on purpose theory is fine until you look at the economics of what is going on in China. No way would they self inflict that damage.

Power retention is what drives these leaders, including ours. Tanked economies is not the way to do that.
    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
    Just win.....

Comment

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Even if you don't think everything should have been closed, if you have any respect for math you should read this.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        I'm not challenging anything you say here, just a few questions:

1. How does the "herd immunity" work?

2. As the virus is passed from person A to person B to person C, etc. does its virulence diminish?

3. We're a long way from a vaccine right? Absent a vaccine, the limitation/elimination of public gatherings to limit the virus spread sounds like it would need to last for longer than a few weeks.

1) In this case, there really isn't a herd immunity to this disease, not yet anyways. Generally speaking, however, if everyone who can be vaccinated to a disease is, then it helps protect those who cannot be inoculated - small children, the elderly, chemo patients, HIV/AIDs infected - basically anyone with a weak immune system, or those that are allergic to something in the vaccines. It's like watching a herd of wild animals - the healthy ones are generally on the outside of the group, while the sick, elderly or young are nearer the center, so they aren't easy prey to predators.

2) No idea, but I'd have to think not. If that were the case, then things like the black plague, the 1918 flu pandemic, etc, wouldn't have been as major, right?

3) Some experts are saying we're months out from a viable vaccine. But with the President's address last night (whether you like him or not), he's claiming a lot of the red tape will be going away concerning research and developing a vaccine. That could be a positive thing and help get something out sooner rather than later. - As for cancelling events and such, I think it makes sense, especially with these big businesses like the NCAA, NBA and probably the NHL to suspend for at least a few weeks then reevaluate. Something may shake out sooner rather than later, and if it does, then they just make up the lost games and the seasons go into July.

Though I think if the status quo is the same, or worse, instead of playing in empty arenas, or suspending a season, they will be cancelled.
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

The Australian Grand Prix is still scheduled but one of the teams backed out this morning when one of them tested positive for the virus. I'd expect that to be canceled as well.

Hope you have Netflix or Disney+ because live sports, music and movies are done for the foreseeable future

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post

3) Some experts are saying we're months out from a viable vaccine. But with the President's address last night (whether you like him or not), he's claiming a lot of the red tape will be going away concerning research and developing a vaccine.
            Yes, but this is the genius who thinks we can use the regular flu vaccine on it and a vaccine specifically for Covid-19 can be ready in a few weeks. Don't worry though, Dr Kushner is on it. I feel much better.

Comment

What are the effects of this virus?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                1) In this case, there really isn't a herd immunity to this disease, not yet anyways. Generally speaking, however, if everyone who can be vaccinated to a disease is, then it helps protect those who cannot be inoculated - small children, the elderly, chemo patients, HIV/AIDs infected - basically anyone with a weak immune system, or those that are allergic to something in the vaccines. It's like watching a herd of wild animals - the healthy ones are generally on the outside of the group, while the sick, elderly or young are nearer the center, so they aren't easy prey to predators.

2) No idea, but I'd have to think not. If that were the case, then things like the black plague, the 1918 flu pandemic, etc, wouldn't have been as major, right?

3) Some experts are saying we're months out from a viable vaccine. But with the President's address last night (whether you like him or not), he's claiming a lot of the red tape will be going away concerning research and developing a vaccine. That could be a positive thing and help get something out sooner rather than later. - As for cancelling events and such, I think it makes sense, especially with these big businesses like the NCAA, NBA and probably the NHL to suspend for at least a few weeks then reevaluate. Something may shake out sooner rather than later, and if it does, then they just make up the lost games and the seasons go into July.

Though I think if the status quo is the same, or worse, instead of playing in empty arenas, or suspending a season, they will be cancelled.
                Great answers to those questions posed. I'll just add that a vaccine is most likely going to take awhile due to testing requirements for safety etc. Glad that the President said they would push through the red tape. That's what had to happen with the new HIV drugs that were released in 1996...normally it could take 3 to 5 years to get a drug out..

If you watch Magic Johnsons 30 for 30 ESPN special he had the means early in his infection to connect with docs like David Ho who eventually master minded these drugs. And we are talking 1991 ish. (that said MJ also could have contracted a weak form of HIV OR his immune system had a variation that the virus didnt "understand) Still no vaccine for HIV but this is a totally diff animal (heck there's still no vaccine for the common cold)

Lots prob will change rapidly with this...just hope we don't lose a ton of people in the process.
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  What are the effects of this virus?
                  Could be as light as a "cold" or as dangerous as severe pneumonia that could kill a person depending on their age and other pre existing conditions. The spikes on the virus attach to the throat and lungs; they have a "heart" shape to them hence the term "corona" which means heart. Definitely going to affect people in different ways depending on many variables. Hate to use the term "flu like symptoms" as this is not the flu (it causes pneumonia) but has similar symptoms. Interestingly Tom Hanks and his wife had fevers and chills which alerted them to be tested.

My students made pamphlets using this fact sheet which explains a lot about the virus...

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...Fact-Sheet.pdf
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-12-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Could be as light as a "cold" or as dangerous as severe pneumonia that could kill a person depending on their age and other pre existing conditions. The spikes on the virus attach to the throat and lungs; they have a "heart" shape to them hence the term "corona" which means heart. Definitely going to affect people in different ways depending on many variables. Hate to use the term "flu like symptoms" as this is not the flu (it causes pneumonia) but has similar symptoms. Interestingly Tom Hanks and his wife had fevers and chills which alerted them to be tested.
                    Um... Corona refers to the crown they appear to look like, not the heart...
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      oh duh!!! I've been out sick all week myself...correct you are!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Haven't you heard about the corazonavirus?
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Some good info and links being posted. Good job people.
                          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                            I'm not challenging anything you say here, just a few questions:

1. How does the "herd immunity" work?

2. As the virus is passed from person A to person B to person C, etc. does its virulence diminish?

3. We're a long way from a vaccine right? Absent a vaccine, the limitation/elimination of public gatherings to limit the virus spread sounds like it would need to last for longer than a few weeks.
                            1. Herd immunity works by diminishing the ability for the disease to transmit and pass from person to person. If you introduce a disease into a population that has antibodies then the people with antibodies have either less or no symptoms/disease. Example- you have 10 people, 8 of them have been immunized against pertussis (whooping cough). Pertussis exposure occurs to some who have immunized. Their immune system either kills the disease or they have a mild case and shed less infectious material. The person who is not immune is less likely to become infected. In communities where there is less immunity (or in this case no known immunity) the disease spreads without hitting the firewall of immunity in some of the population.

Immunity is only so good. You will probably have seen reports of cases of those who have been immunized and still got sick. It is postulated the more exposure occurring, the more the immune system has to fight against. Sort of like one person storming the castle is rebuffed. An army- some get in. The higher the rate of exposure the higher the liklihood of infection.

2. There is no evidence the virus is weakening as it transmits. It isn't something that dilutes because there is only so much of it. The virus replicates and infects the person. It replicates inside the infected person and then is transmitted to the next person.

3. It is now March- after 3+ months and extreme measures the infection rate in Wuhan is starting to diminish. That is with total shut down of everything and strict control of movement in the population. While those things may be an anathema in most circumstances they are a benefit in this one. This is going to take a long time for this country to deal with it. Read thru this thread, look on FB feed. How many people are claiming hoax, denying severity, making excuses for life to go on because [fill in your favorite]? The only way to stop spread is to have total buy in and be able to test. We have neither.

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                            Sure you aren't describing the White House and their lack of info and responses until yesterday? You want a day by day list of what the Orange Man Child said over the last 2 weeks regarding the virus or what his tool V.P. said while sucking up to in praise while wiping bodily fluids off his lips from the Boss? The word Hoax was used how many times?

Many reports from China, unfiltered, of what happened. Weaponized on purpose theory is fine until you look at the economics of what is going on in China. No way would they self inflict that damage.

Power retention is what drives these leaders, including ours. Tanked economies is not the way to do that.
                            NPR did a segment in 2017 about the Coronovirus research being done with the researchers talking about this kind of thing being a probability. A few yrs before that there were other segments discussing the research about novel viruses (Public health geek here- I found them fascinating). I know the GOP believes NPR is a Librul propaganda machine but if NPR was talking about it then it was not a secret. The CDC had a program put in place because, you know, they actually believed the science. Then the Orange Menace decided that science doesn't matter and disbanded it

Comment

Familiar with that NPR piece, but used the economics as a reason why I don't think it applies in this case. But i agree 100% with your excellent and needed info.
                              Just win.....

Comment

Oh My!!! Stock Market this a.m.
                                Just win.....

Comment

Working...
                                X