X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Deaths from influenza in US in 2019 - 20,000
    And what does that have to do with the price of hand sanitizer in china?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      And what does that have to do with the price of hand sanitizer in china?
      It has to do with a poorly managed public health system. and of course a lack of reading comprehension of the last post saying why it was irrelevant. Of course we could invite the people who aren't impressed to participate in research studies testing severity....

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
        ~0.1% of the population that contracts the flu dies of it among the millions that get it, despite there being a vaccine readily available that at very worst helps make symptoms milder. In spite of the yearly work and preparation that goes into it, our hospitals are over 90% capacity from the people currently hospitalized for it.

Over 3% of the population that has contracted this new virus has died, a virus we have no immunizations for and no way to mitigate. It spreads at a similar, if not higher, contagion level than the flu. It causes hospitalization and the need for ventilators, even amongst young people, at at least 3 times the rate the flu does. The measures being taken are to prevent it from spreading to millions of people in short order, completely overwhelming the available hospital system and resulting in patients who could otherwise be saved dying from lack of resources. If everyone gets it at once, the 20% of people who need hospitalization but otherwise recover will become 20% who die from lack of resources available. The point here is to reduce cases where it could spread massively and to make sure the growth stays manageable for our society to handle everybody with the care they need. 1 million people getting it today vs one million people getting it this year are vastly different prospects.

And even if you believe all the verifiable numbers I just posted are wrong and it's just a cold, what's the worst that could happen? We accidentally stopped you from going to a game in person and made you watch it on TV instead for no reason? Taking the risk of spreading a pandemic so a couple of thousand people can see a game they would have seen on TV anyway is clearly a worse scenario than forcing people to watch the game on TV when it wasn't necessary.
        Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-10-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
          ~0.1% of the population that contracts the flu dies of it among the millions that get it, despite there being a vaccine readily available that at very worst helps make symptoms milder. In spite of the yearly work and preparation that goes into it, our hospitals are over 90% capacity from the people currently hospitalized for it.

Over 3% of the population that has contracted this new virus has died, a virus we have no immunizations for and no way to mitigate. It spreads at a similar, if not higher, contagion level than the flu. It causes hospitalization and the need for ventilators, even amongst young people, at at least 3 times the rate the flu does. The measures being taken are to prevent it from spreading to millions of people in short order, completely overwhelming the available hospital system and resulting in patients who could otherwise be saved dying from lack of resources. If everyone gets it at once, the 20% of people who need hospitalization but otherwise recover will become 20% who die from lack of resources available. The point here is to reduce cases where it could spread massively and to make sure the growth stays manageable for our society to handle everybody with the care they need. 1 million people getting it today vs one million people getting it this year are vastly different prospects.

And even if you believe all the verifiable numbers I just posted are wrong and it's just a cold, what's the worst that could happen? We accidentally stopped you from going to a game in person and made you watch it on TV instead for no reason? Taking the risk of spreading a pandemic so a couple of thousand people can see a game they would have seen on TV anyway is clearly a worse scenario than forcing people to watch the game on TV when it wasn't necessary.
          THis is a great post.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

THis is a great post.
            Yes it is!

Comment

THis is a great post.
              It belongs in the real thread!

Comment

This has been explained many times, corona virus is not the flu.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  It belongs in the real thread!
                  "That belongs in a museum!"

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    This has been explained many times, corona virus is not the flu.
                    But we can use the flu vaccine on it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      But we can use the flu vaccine on it, right?
                      😂
                      Originally posted by mookie1995
                      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

The doctor at the epicenter of the Bergamo Italy outbreak has posted this on Facebook. Only 1% of the cities population is infected and they are overwhelmed.

“After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible,” Macchini wrote in his post, as translated by Dr. Silvia Stringhini, an epidemiologist and researcher at the Geneva University’s Institute of Global Health.

“I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder,” he said.

In Bergamo, a city of about 122,000 some 30 miles northeast of Milan, 1,245 people have been diagnosed with the coronavirus in one of the country’s worst-affected areas.

“I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly ’emptied,’ elective activities were interrupted,” he continued in the chilling post, which was shared more than 29,000 times.

“All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity,” he said.

“I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I’ve seen what’s happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least,” Macchini added.

“The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

“The boards with the names of the patients, of different colors depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the ****ed same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.”

The doctor urged people not to describe Covid-19 as a bad case of the flu.

“Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. … And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is ‘temporarily’ put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place,” he said.

“And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

“Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.”

Describing every available ventilator as “gold,” Macchini said the doctors and nurses working at his side are exhausted.

“I saw the tiredness on faces that didn’t know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask, ‘What can I do for you now?’

“Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can’t save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

“There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols,” he said.

Macchini noted that some of his colleagues have become infected themselves and then infected their relatives who “are already struggling between life and death.”

“So be patient, you can’t go to the theater, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate,” he said.

“I finish by saying that I really don’t understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there’s no mask on sale anymore. We don’t have a lot of studies, but is panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?”
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Take home-the Spanish Flu was novel in 1918 epidemic. It killed massive amounts of people. This virus is more virulent. We have ventilators. But not enough ventilators and the patients are sicker.

Comment

According to the CDC, the flu hospitalization rate as of the week ending February 29, 2020, was 57.9 per 100,000 cases.

The AHA has estimated the CV hospitalization rate as 5%. In the Chinese study of 72,000+ patients, 14% of cases were severely ill and an additional 5% of cases were critical.

The hospitalization rate for CV is like 10X the flu plus it appears that outbreaks are localized.

All of this means the need for scarce resources will be far greater than we see with the flu
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              According to the CDC, the flu hospitalization rate as of the week ending February 29, 2020, was 57.9 per 100,000 cases.

The AHA has estimated the CV hospitalization rate as 5%. In the Chinese study of 72,000+ patients, 14% of cases were severely ill and an additional 5% of cases were critical.

The hospitalization rate for CV is like 10X the flu plus it appears that outbreaks are localized.

All of this means the need for scarce resources will be far greater than we see with the flu
                              This is what came out thru the WHO at the height of the Wuhan part of the outbreak. Not just the morbidity and mortality but the state of the healthcare system.
                              You also belong in the real thread- posting stuff that is based in reality.

Comment

Pretty disheartening that some folks are so willing to be so vocal in disseminating talking points without any thought, simply because it aligns with their political views. String together two facts about the number of flu deaths without considering the obvious question about future cases (the exponential growth of cases by CV), would fail basic logic 101 in any class.
                                Not only do they fail to think, but they are so quick to circulate the "fact" and chastize others for thinking, solely because it fits the agenda. It's as if they are unaware that there are experts who model these things their entire life.
                                That is a step below just being ignorant.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X