X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Yes, and I have not heard one report about the governors and mayors violating the United States Constitution with all these bans prohibiting people from gathering in groups of more than 25 people.

Sean
    Having worked as a Chief of a Fire Dept, once an emergent situation is declared, all bets are off. Orders are done for the greater common good, not whether someone wants to go see Reverend Horton Heat. It really is a terrible situation, unseen in my 60 year lifetime.
    Last edited by LTsatch; 03-18-2020, 10:26 PM.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      It was 50000 in Minnesota. 1.67% of the workforce. Dont want to see what that % will be in Maine.
      Gov shut down eat in Restaurants so thats going to spike the unemployment rate here. I'm still working, not sure if I'm crazy, greedy, stupid or etc. Customers still working so equipment is still breaking. I've noticed social distance is being used but obviously not 100% which isn't good. I'm outside working for the most part. Supply houses aren't allowing us in, call before and we will leave it outside. Job I'm on now, 3 workers from one company, all coming from same place, 3 trucks. Company won't let workers in building, call and will leave parts outside. Stress is high with most everyone.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        Poor vs. possibly dead. The government is controlling this now, whether we like it or not. They will choose that point, but unfortunately, it will most likely be later, rather than sooner.
        People die because they are poor, for various reasons. So, poor vs. dead is not the proper metric. It's still dead vs. dead.

Society will eventually break under this kind of stress. It's just a matter of when that crossover point is.

But something that will come out of all this pain is the realization -- that can no longer be ignored -- of just how many people in America do not have a safety net. I think this is going to change the political landscape, on both sides, for decades to come.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

So I turned on the TV this morning before starting my work-at-home routine, and on FS1 there was what appeared to be a live Aussie Rules Football match winding down, with absolutely no one in the stands. I wasn't sure if it was live or whatever, but with an empty stadium, I figured the match would have at most only been a week or so old.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a follower of the AFL. I was expecting FS1's sports talk shows instead.

Looking into it further, over breakfast here downstairs, I discovered that yes, indeed, this had been live sports. In fact, the folks down in Australia are currently "enjoying" as best they can, their three professional team sports competitions - the AFL, Rugby League, and A-League Football (soccer). Games are being played, but no one (apparently other than employees and players' family) is being allowed into the games. And as foreshadowing of the approaching "tipping point" or "crossover point" as Russell refers to it, it's apparently largely driven by the financial side of the enterprise, per the linked article below:

https://sports.yahoo.com/financial-f...5159--spt.html

I'm not scanning a lot of different threads here at USCHO or elsewhere, but I'd think there might be more coverage of this situation, only because it is a different approach - for whatever the reason - and we may be looking at this point ourselves not too far down the line. I think it's important that as soon as we possibly can, within reason, we need to start clawing our way back to some semblance of normalcy. I agree with Russell - this is not poor vs. dead … it's dead vs. dead. Whether death arrives via COVID-19, or the severe stress and strains that will result from prolonged quarantines, all the same. JMHO.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Sununu seeks special period to enroll in Obamacare:
            https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...lock_id=883785
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

It seems the big wildcard here is the immunity vs. reinfection issue. If there is a natural immunity from initial infection, then the future re-flaring will be greatly mitigated by today's steps. But if this has no impact long term, then we're in a perpectual supression system until a vaccine in 14 months.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                It seems the big wildcard here is the immunity vs. reinfection issue. If there is a natural immunity from initial infection, then the future re-flaring will be greatly mitigated by today's steps. But if this has no impact long term, then we're in a perpectual supression system until a vaccine in 14 months.
                Estimates from some media sources I'm following (no, not MSNBC) suggest just that. They also suggest 40 to 60% of the U.S. population will become infected (many, asymptomatic, non life threatening as we've learned) Just like the yearly flu, this can come back, come back, etc. Vaccine sorely needed. (but like the flu vaccine...doesn't always work, etc.) I'm wondering if I will go back to school at all this year...
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I’m really curious about what is happening in the tropics. Heat and humidity, is it helping? Infection rates depressed? A lot of mixed messages regarding this. High density population areas like Bangkok? From what I can find, the virus appears somewhat depressed.
                  As this is the first day of spring, one can only hope warmer is better.
                  Maybe the spring breakers can be our test subjects. 😜
                  $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                  Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Dr. Birx or Dr. Fauci said that the virus could weaken as it spreads. Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      So I turned on the TV this morning before starting my work-at-home routine, and on FS1 there was what appeared to be a live Aussie Rules Football match winding down, with absolutely no one in the stands. I wasn't sure if it was live or whatever, but with an empty stadium, I figured the match would have at most only been a week or so old.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a follower of the AFL. I was expecting FS1's sports talk shows instead.

Looking into it further, over breakfast here downstairs, I discovered that yes, indeed, this had been live sports. In fact, the folks down in Australia are currently "enjoying" as best they can, their three professional team sports competitions - the AFL, Rugby League, and A-League Football (soccer). Games are being played, but no one (apparently other than employees and players' family) is being allowed into the games.
                      I'm a huge Formula 1 fan. This past weekend, at one point, it looked like they were going to pull off the Australian GP. But then some team members in the paddock tested positive. They thought about a no-fans event, but ultimately cancelled it.

Now, I read they are holding other sports events in Oz with no fans. I'm depressed.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Dr. Birx or Dr. Fauci said that the virus could weaken as it spreads. Or not.
                        The prob with any virus...is it's ability to mutate to suit its survival needs as we all know. HIV did this; it went through a ton of people, many went to AIDS very quickly and died very quickly in the early days of the epidemic, until the success of antiretroviral drugs were created in the 90's. I've always wondered about Magic J; he was able to get early trials of these drugs (fact) OR..his immune cells weren't favorable to the virus..OR...the virus he contracted was a variant of HIV that was 'harmless'. With this coronavirus we are already seeing that many who get it do not show ANY symptoms, or, they get sick and recover quickly. (we also know some will not recover; sad stories cropping up like the one with the family in NJ who lost 3 immediate family members in one, fell swoop )

Hope all those 'happy go lucky' Spring breakers we saw yesterday will quarantine themselves when they return from their trips esp from older members of t heir family...(hey, I was young once...understand their feelings about living in the now...I guess) I'm trying to cancel a hotel reservation in Boston as we speak that WAS going to be for this weekends HE championships.

Anyway...its fascinating and terrifying at the same level with these unknowns. Fortunately, this isn't the 90's and all we can hope is social distancing will help stem the tide. Be well!
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          I'm a huge Formula 1 fan. This past weekend, at one point, it looked like they were going to pull off the Australian GP. But then some team members in the paddock tested positive. They thought about a no-fans event, but ultimately cancelled it.

Now, I read they are holding other sports events in Oz with no fans. I'm depressed.
                          My guess … it boils down to survival of the domestic leagues in Oz by maintaining cash flow through their TV deals, these competitions are pretty much limited to Australia-only - with some slight overseas penetration for the AFL, but not too much. They need this to continue for their survival as a business. If there was more money in those domestic leagues, they could afford to play the long game, like the North American professional leagues, the Premiership/UEFA, etc. I suspect F1 falls into that latter category as well.

I hadn't noticed this, but apparently the largest North American competition outside of the US - Mexico's Liga MX - had been continuing its season behind closed doors last weekend, and apparently will be continuing for one more weekend on Sunday before they shut down temporarily. Liga MX is the highest revenue-generating soccer league in the Western Hemisphere, and their most prominent clubs have deep pockets as a result. So they're probably closer in profile to the US pro leagues than to the domestic leagues in Oz, hence hesitant to shut down, but eventually doing so.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...sundays-games/

It'll be interesting to see how the situation plays out in Australia.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

“We are not a shipping clerk”
                            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                            Just win.....

Comment

He regressed today. Big time.

Comment

He and his impressive team are doing a fantastic job.
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X