This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

I get whiplash in here trying to relate to both Dr House and Homer Simpson. I better just go back to my people.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Fixed? Fixed.

Either figure out how to post code or don’t do it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

15 minutes until today's White House briefing. I didn't view yesterday's until last night when it was immediately obvious that the President did not have his A game. Remember, I thought he did well a few days ago? Not yesterday. Every speaker except Dr. Faucci and Dr. Birx ran the border action script, essentially repeating the same thing over and over and over. Dr. Faucci in the background looked like a man who knew he could be making far better use of his time as the parade of speakers played to the base on immigration. Bonus points from the President to Pompeo for calling it the Chinese virus.

While Dr. Birx delivered truth, Pompeo shifted nervously on his feet in the background. Dr. Faucci is a LEADER. All the nation needs is 15 Faucci minutes/day. Spare us the PR sideshow. Oh wait, VP Pence has to follow Dr. Faucci to robot the same endless and unchanging testing talking points.

I don't have words for how the President attacks the media. Nothing. He is Trump-bot, programmed to work one way. A single playbook for every situation. The last play in the book, when everything else fails? Attack the media.
        Last edited by Darius; 03-21-2020, 11:20 AM.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          I once read that people who are genetically predisposed to getting sickle cell anemia don’t get malaria. Could it be those living in malaria countries by luck are more predisposed to having the genetic makeup to not be bothered by COVID-19?
          All the talking heads, me included, have had only a very brief time to think about this virus. Remember that as recently as 3 months ago, it was virtually unknown to all but a few of us and the information we were seeing was perhaps not from the most reliable sources. We are slowly developing a sense of what the true incubation period might be, the most common course the disease takes in different individuals and age groups, the response to some of the actions like isolation already taken.
          The good news is that the more time that goes by, the more we find out and can utilize for some sort of control. The bad news is that the more we find out, we may be discovering how deep the hole is that we are in and some of the newly discovered difficulties we have in digging out way out.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Fauci urges people who don't have Covid-19 symptoms against seeking coronavirus testing because it uses up medical gear that is needed for people who do have symptoms https://t.co/NJtw8ZUn1p

Makes sense given the lack of medical gear but thought "anyone who wants a test gets a test". Not sure if that's a good idea either per se. (Anybody/everybody)
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

They've recognized that containment is not viable, so no need to test everyone. Instead, focus on treatment of people who need it.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Fun new game ... feel free to play along, but follow to the end, please ...

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                All the talking heads, me included, have had only a very brief time to think about this virus. Remember that as recently as 3 months ago, it was virtually unknown to all but a few of us and the information we were seeing was perhaps not from the most reliable sources. We are slowly developing a sense of what the true incubation period might be, the most common course the disease takes in different individuals and age groups, the response to some of the actions like isolation already taken.

The good news is that the more time that goes by, the more we find out and can utilize for some sort of control. The bad news is that the more we find out, we may be discovering how deep the hole is that we are in and some of the newly discovered difficulties we have in digging out way out.
                I once read that people who are genetically predisposed to getting sickle cell anemia don’t get malaria. Could it be those living in malaria countries by luck are more predisposed to having the genetic makeup to not be bothered by COVID-19?
                Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Hi there! Agreed, a disruption in visual acuity does seem to be a potential side effect. To me that sounds like the fiber tract from the lateral geniculate nucleus to the cortex causes some temporary disruption to the retinotopic mapping on the cortex. In this case, partial damage to these fiber tracts can cause predictable visual problems. Apparently hydroxychloroquine seems less toxic as a chemical derivative of Chloroquine.

I think the CoV-19 numbers coming out of countries known as seed farms for malaria are underreporting due to a lack of testing. That's especially true in Thailand now with a record 89 cases yesterday. They're only testing cases showing CoV-19 like symptoms. But you may be onto something there.
                Originally posted by Darius View Post
                15 minutes until today's White House briefing. I didn't view yesterday's until last night when it was immediately obvious that the President did not have his A game. Remember, I thought he did well a few days ago? Not yesterday. Every speaker except Dr. Faucci and Dr. Birx ran the border action script, essentially repeating the same thing over and over and over. Dr. Faucci in the background looked like a man who knew he could be making far better use of his time as the parade of speakers played to the base on immigration. Bonus points from the President to Pompeo for calling it the Chinese virus.

While Dr. Birx delivered truth, Pompeo shifted nervously on his feet in the background. Dr. Faucci is a LEADER. All the nation needs is 15 Faucci minutes/day. Spare us the PR sideshow. Oh wait, VP Pence has to follow Dr. Faucci to robot the same endless and unchanging testing talking points.

I don't have words for how the President attacks the media. Nothing. He is Trump-bot, programmed to work one way. A single playbook for every situation. The last play in the book, when everything else fails? Attack the media.
                One of these posts is not like the others
                One of these things just doesn't belong
                Can you guess which post is not like the others
                By the time I finish this song?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I’m not a medical person?

[/QUOTE]
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I’m not a medical person?

Close, but not quite, Russ. That would be at least two of you then. You're good, no worries.

That should make the game just a wee bit easier now ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

When does the fun come, chuck?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        When does the fun come, chuck?
                        You'll know, BlackI. It'll probably happen when the "winner" comes on and explains why theirs is the same as the other three. I'm not sticking around, but I'm figuring with all the wicked smaht folks on this thread, it will be sooner, not later ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          You'll know, BlackI. It'll probably happen when the "winner" comes on and explains why theirs is the same as the other three. I'm not sticking around, but I'm figuring with all the wicked smaht folks on this thread, it will be sooner, not later ...
                          Ok, I’ll just go listen to the foo fighters rather than holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            Ok, I’ll just go listen to the foo fighters rather than holding my breath.
                            Where ya been?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Where ya been?
                              Holding my breath and listening to foo fighters.

Plus they suspended me because of my drunken rambling.

Comment

From the UNH Off Season thread:

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                It continues to astonish me how so many have their heads us their *** on this, taking their lead from the President, who decided to get in a debate with Dr. Fauci yesterday about the efficacy of an untested vaccine that some have surmised might help treat the virus. Trump was going with his gut of course while Fauci opted for science. What shock.

The clear difference between between your run of the mill influenza and the coronavirus is that the former is preventable if people take the proper measures while the latter, to this point is not. Yes, there are thousands of deaths every because of the flu. Why. Because people wave away the advice to get a flu shot at the start of winter. They refuse to wash their hands multiple times a day, stay home and instead “power through” and head off to work or school where they can infect countless others. The reason drastic measures are being taken now is because, without them, people would go about their normal business and, if carrying the virus, infect others even if they don’t feel ill themselves. Why is this hard to understand? Because the guy with the big gut in the Oval Office, who is already a climate science denier, chooses to be an infectious diseases denier as well?
                                This is a thing in our country where the less educated whether formally, by experience or both, feel they know more about something than the educated. Do I disagree with the diagnosis of my dentist, doctor, car technician? No. I ask questions, propose alternatives and ultimately make decisions based on their expert advice. I see this as a consultant. People pay me because I've been doing what I do for a long time and have seen what works, what doesn't, know best practices. Still, they often go against my advice. In my case I typically end up with more work when I am invited back to undo the mess they create. With Covid-19 the mess is undo-able.
                                Last edited by Darius; 03-21-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X