X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid 19

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    Keep in mind that an RPI student died a few weeks ago from the flu (not coronavirus). Given that tragedy, and the growing concerns expressed by clinicians in the U.S. about COVID-19, I can understand why the RPI administration felt compelled to act.
    I think its valid to worry about COVID-19... I think this is the most critical issue we've dealt with in decades. Just my opinion, naturally.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      Oh, you think I'm taking my advice from trump. How nice. While the god emperor has done many wondrous things and exceeded my expectations I can assure you I don't listen to him on day to day stuff. Heck, I don't listen to him about much of anything.

I've probably been on the shut down the flights and quarantine/disinfect shipping trade for awhile. I am very upset that the CDC and the rest seemed under-prepared to scale up to meet the challenge of a biological emergency. There are tough and rational things that can be done now, but i don't think we're at the "closed door match" stage here. Certainly in some parts of Italy.

If we go by this logic we should also shut down the supermarkets right now. Tons of people pass through there every day and touch all kinds of stuff. Dorms should be abandoned and so on. Yes, I think there is a degree of over-reaction. I think earlier there was a degree of under-reaction.

There is acting prudent, versus acting scared. I have no doubt I will be sent home from work, along with my coworkers, because of this over the next few weeks because somebody at work catches it. It will happen, I am prepared, a few weeks on soft-quarantine will happen. That being said, I still think that depopulating the arenas is not a needed procedure at this point. If we have evidence the person went to the arena then my opinion changes.
      It’s not about preventing the spread now. It’s about slowing it down as much as possible so we don’t overwhelm the system. The hospitalization rate is going to be what causes deaths. We don’t have the number of ICU beds or ventilators necessary if this thing spreads too fast.

Jesus, it’s like Italy and the rest of Europe haven’t even happened. You think they’re shutting down their financial capitals because they get their jollies off? They had no idea, maybe we can take their earning and slow this thing down just enough to not kill 2%. Or even 1%.

Like I said before, maybe when it comes to exponential functions we miss on the side of caution?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It’s not about preventing the spread now. It’s about slowing it down as much as possible so we don’t overwhelm the system. The hospitalization rate is going to be what causes deaths. We don’t have the number of ICU beds or ventilators necessary if this thing spreads too fast.

Jesus, it’s like Italy and the rest of Europe haven’t even happened. You think they’re shutting down their financial capitals because they get their jollies off? They had no idea, maybe we can take their earning and slow this thing down just enough to not kill 2%. Or even 1%.

Like I said before, maybe when it comes to exponential functions we miss on the side of caution?
        Don't act like I don't know as much as you. OK? I've got older parents who are in decent health but i don't want to roll that dice. You think I'm scared about losing them... You're right, I am. Your sanctimony is pointless. I am well aware that systems will break under what they think may happen. I agree that slowing it down makes a lot of sense... but I think you have to do a lot more to slow it down in a meaningful way. I am asking for calm and measured.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Dude, there is a strain running through the United States... it has killed north of 10,000 + already this season. It’s call influenza (the flu). Those are staggering numbers; we (unfortunately) have those kinds of stats every yr; but the media doesn't go gaga over that reporting each death with breaking news cause they'd look stupid. The flu doesn’t result in clicks (ie generate revenue for them). They've tried this with Sars, AIDS, Swine flu etc. Ya can't stop living your life. People are taking the subway tomorrow morning and i just got off a quick flight. The traffic is a bit light but not what you think. It goes on man.

There’s like south of 600 cases (not deaths just cases) of Covid in our entire country (including Alaska, Hawaii & the territories). So again, practice good hygiene, relax & if you’ve got very young kids around (i'm talking infants) or older folks around (north of 75- 80 yrs); perhaps a bit of caution & avoid the crowded venues through end of April more or less i think. That’s it. The rest of us - (to each their own; but my take), carry on as usual, with good hygiene, you'll be fine.

Wuhan, China (where 99%+ of the deaths have occurred with this, due whatever reason); has the problem and needs to get aggressive & they have pretty much overcome it with lockdown mode - but they had good reason!. The darn thing was the epicenter, much like bird flu, sars etc.

Rest of the world the deaths have been in the elderly (mostly) but if you read closely; with other underlying conditions already. There were a few medical folks in China who paid the price facing thebrunt caring day & night for hundreds. But again; that was the epicenter. Rest of the world the folks treating patients are coping just fine. This is a media circus along with a few forces for whatever it is they are driving to keep us occupied through these months. And then everyone gets on TV for their 15 mins of fame. Like i said (me thinks) the smoke will clear end April or so & then they'll find the latest greatest 'clickable bait' for spring and summer. We have become sheep. They throw these stories but are usually hiding something else going on in the world. Happens every time. Look through the smoke.

And aren’t you supposed to be getting married in a week or so? What the heck are you in these forums for all day anyway? Go get busy!

Above all relax; they’re selling but you don’t have to buy. Anyway, all the best & g'luck with the wedding. Just my .02. To each his own.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            Dude, there is a strain running through the United States... it has killed north of 10,000 + already this season. It’s call influenza (the flu). Those are staggering numbers; we (unfortunately) have those kinds of stats every yr; but the media doesn't go gaga over that reporting each death with breaking news cause they'd look stupid. The flu doesn’t result in clicks (ie generate revenue for them). They've tried this with Sars, AIDS, Swine flu etc. Ya can't stop living your life. People are taking the subway tomorrow morning and i just got off a quick flight. The traffic is a bit light but not what you think. It goes on man.

There’s like south of 600 cases (not deaths just cases) of Covid in our entire country (including Alaska, Hawaii & the territories). So again, practice good hygiene, relax & if you’ve got very young kids around (i'm talking infants) or older folks around (north of 75- 80 yrs); perhaps a bit of caution & avoid the crowded venues through end of April more or less i think. That’s it. The rest of us - (to each their own; but my take), carry on as usual, with good hygiene, you'll be fine.

Wuhan, China (where 99%+ of the deaths have occurred with this, due whatever reason); has the problem and needs to get aggressive & they have pretty much overcome it with lockdown mode - but they had good reason!. The darn thing was the epicenter, much like bird flu, sars etc.

Rest of the world the deaths have been in the elderly (mostly) but if you read closely; with other underlying conditions already. There were a few medical folks in China who paid the price facing thebrunt caring day & night for hundreds. But again; that was the epicenter. Rest of the world the folks treating patients are coping just fine. This is a media circus along with a few forces for whatever it is they are driving to keep us occupied through these months. And then everyone gets on TV for their 15 mins of fame. Like i said (me thinks) the smoke will clear end April or so & then they'll find the latest greatest 'clickable bait' for spring and summer. We have become sheep. They throw these stories but are usually hiding something else going on in the world. Happens every time. Look through the smoke.

And aren’t you supposed to be getting married in a week or so? What the heck are you in these forums for all day anyway? Go get busy!

Above all relax; they’re selling but you don’t have to buy. Anyway, all the best & g'luck with the wedding. Just my .02. To each his own.
            There was also 600 cases in Italy a week and a half ago. This spreads fast.

I think you're still missing the forest for the trees. It's not the direct deaths that are scary right now, it's the fact that so many of these infections require hospitalization. We don't have the bed space to handle peak flu season AND another major (deadlier!) pandemic at the same time. That's where the CFR starts to get scary. We don't know what will happen if we start running out of beds and mechanical ventilators.

I get that the old and infirm are disproportionately at risk. However, we shouldn't just dismiss them. We all need to act to protect them as well. And yes, that means shutting down certain aspects of society like many other countries are doing.

Regarding getting married, yes, I am. I use this forum as an outlet to both de-stress and keep up on things. We have most of it under control except for the most minor of details. You're probably right though, I shouldn't worry about threads like this. Everyone has their relief valve and this forum is mine I suppose. Thanks for the best wishes.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              I think its valid to worry about COVID-19... I think this is the most critical issue we've dealt with in decades. Just my opinion, naturally.
              Understood; wasn't trying to imply anything about your views. Just pointing out something particular to the RPI decision that fans who don't live here would be unaware of.

Comment

I think you're still missing the forest for the trees. It's not the direct deaths that are scary right now, it's the fact that so many of these infections require hospitalization. We don't have the bed space to handle peak flu season AND another major (deadlier!) pandemic at the same time. That's where the CFR starts to get scary. We don't know what will happen if we start running out of beds and mechanical ventilators.

I get that the old and infirm are disproportionately at risk. However, we shouldn't just dismiss them. We all need to act to protect them as well. And yes, that means shutting down certain aspects of society like many other countries are doing.

Regarding getting married, yes, I am. I use this forum as an outlet to both de-stress and keep up on things. We have most of it under control except for the most minor of details. You're probably right though, I shouldn't worry about threads like this. Everyone has their relief valve and this forum is mine I suppose. Thanks for the best wishes.
                I would still get married if I were you. Love is better than the worry of dying. Love let’s you know someone cares more about you then themselves. To go against this due to social norms is wrong. Just maybe scale back the travel and the wedding to small party. And just say, we tried our best... and be ****ed we are married. Nobody can ever fault you for that.

Last advice I will give. Other than to tell you congrats!

Comment

Italy is now closed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    I would still get married if I were you. Love is better than the worry of dying. Love let’s you know someone cares more about you then themselves. To go against this due to social norms is wrong. Just maybe scale back the travel and the wedding to small party. And just say, we tried our best... and be ****ed we are married. Nobody can ever fault you for that.

Last advice I will give. Other than to tell you congrats!
                    Thanks!

We're cancelling our honeymoon entirely. Were scheduled for Germany, France, and Switzerland. Hard pass. For now...
                    Code:

Comment

Amherst switches to remote learning for the remainder of the semester: https://www.amherst.edu/news/covid-1...ty/node/766550

Comment

Thanks!

We're cancelling our honeymoon entirely. Were scheduled for Germany, France, and Switzerland. Hard pass. For now...
                        Germany has this greatly under control, my guess the same with the Swiss, France who knows. You must be in your 70s to be concerned.
                        Media hyped, overreactions.
                        I'd be more concerned of going somewhere and they decide to shut the country or location down being stuck.
                        Had plans to go to Italy, those were changed not because of concerns of getting the virus but because of their govt actions
                        Last edited by giwan; 03-09-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Welp. Sorry. 😭

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Germany has this greatly under control, my guess the same with the Swiss, France who knows. You must be in your 70s to be concerned.
                            Media hyped, overreactions.
                            I'd be more concerned of going somewhere and they decide to shut the country or location down being stuck.
                            Had plans to go to Italy, those were changed not because of concerns of getting the virus but because of their govt actions
                            Really. Because I work with people in Italy and France.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              Amherst switches to remote learning for the remainder of the semester: https://www.amherst.edu/news/covid-1...ty/node/766550
                              The ball has started to roll: "Columbia University, Princeton University, Rice University, Stanford University, Hofstra University and the University of Southern California, plus the University of Washington and a clutch of community colleges in Washington state." https://www.npr.org/2020/03/09/81375...to-coronavirus

Comment

Yale and QU in meetings about no spectators next weekends ECAC quarterfinals.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X