This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

On the topic of hockey for a second—I am still in complete denial that the season is over. Cancelling pro sports is one thing, but NCAAs with seniors graduating, teams played all year and having the playoffs cancelled. Just utterly brutal. Part of me feels like I’ll never be as big of a fan of the game as I was before this
    I wanna go fast!

Comment

Trump (or any President) cannot remain President without an election. The line of succession kicks in if elections cannot be held.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
        On the topic of hockey for a second—I am still in complete denial that the season is over. Cancelling pro sports is one thing, but NCAAs with seniors graduating, teams played all year and having the playoffs cancelled. Just utterly brutal. Part of me feels like I’ll never be as big of a fan of the game as I was before this
        I know how it feels, if that's any consolation. I was a fan of the Montreal Expos, and lived through the ill-fated, strike-shortened 1994 season. Continued to be a fan right to the bitter end a decade later. But there was always this sense of something missing, and sadly, it was never the same. Especially for the Montreal fans, who had gotten used to disappointment to a point up to 1994, and afterwards, losing the season, seeing star players leave … just pushed it over the edge.

There's something to be said about living in the present. Carpe diem I believe it is called ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I am not as big a fan of air travel as I was before 911.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Gee, do I actually have to say thank you? To you?!
            You've got enough on your hands. Return the favor, pay it forward, no one needs to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              Trump (or any President) cannot remain President without an election. The line of succession kicks in if elections cannot be held.
              LOL, What?

So Pence is our new President if elections are suspended?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                This does not help your argument.
                Again, not my argument., his own with himself. He is linking an article to prove a point. Said article disproves his point.
                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  I am not as big a fan of air travel as I was before 911.
                  I'd say the same, Darius … except I've always detested air travel.

Hated it beforehand, and these days I'll try to avoid it at almost any cost.

People on here know I drove to the 2002 FF (St. Paul MN) instead of flying … leading to my post-9/11 story, you folks might find it interesting/comical/stupid, but it also ties in with Les Expos ...

Early April 2002, first year after the Expos were left as wards of the state (MLB) after the Henry/Werner/Lucchino ownership had sold the Marlins to buy the Red Sox, hence allowing pond scum Jeffrey Loria to sell Montreal to MLB and buy Florida … rumors of the Expos going bye-bye were starting to peak. There was rampant talk around that time of MLB "contracting" two teams, and ironically the two most often mentioned teams were Montreal and Minnesota.

Anyway … I'm already planning to go to MSP for the FF as I have tickets in hand, and several of my UNH pals were going, too. "Mr. Let's Make It An Epic Midlife Crisis" getaway here, breaks out a map, connects the dots, and figuring this might be the last chance at seeing Opening Night at Stade Olympique, I decide to add a Tuesday night trip by car to Montreal. Something I would do fairly often, when getting permission from my better half, and she's always been very understanding. But then the plan after Montreal is to hop onto the Trans-Canada (or whatever it is/was - this is 18 years ago) and drive a straight line towards MSP, which requires entry back into the US at the Detroit/Windsor crossing. It all looks so simple on paper, so without a further thought, I'm off to get my rental car in the next town over, and it's off to the races!

You guys all know how the FF turned out, so I won't bother with the detail there. The road trip got off to a fantastic start, as the Expos came from behind late in their opener to beat Florida and their loathsome new owners in the bottom of the 9th, I leave the Big Owe amidst a small seasonal snowstorm that clears by the time I pass Ottawa at around midnight. I managed to get close to Toronto before pulling off the highway to get a few hours' shuteye, because of course, after that it's on to Detroit, Chicago, the Wisconsin Dells and eventually to MSP for Thursday's FF semifinal, with UNH and UMaine playing in the afternoon game.

All is going incredibly well to plan when I hit the road again, after a hearty breakfast at Tim Horton's, and then it's on to what I'm expecting to be an uneventful Wednesday covering many miles and seeing new places I've never seen before, which is right in my wheelhouse. All is going well, as I approach the customs on the bridge from Windsor ON to Detroit MI, I present my papers as I've done dozens of times in the past, advise of my destination … and then the US Customs folks ask me to get out of the car, and go sit in this windowless room without explaining why. Of course, Mr. "Sign Me Up For The Road Trip To Nowhere" realizes at this point that there are a few little differences with this crossing … first, I'm a US Citizen from the East Coast, and who drives from New Hampshire to MSP, much less going halfway across Canada after entering in Vermont? And then, it occurs to me, I'm driving some rental car - not my personal vehicle. AND we're all of 7 months after the 9/11 incident. I suddenly feel very queasy.

It probably only took 5 minutes for them to clear me (and the car), but I'll tell you, it felt like 5 hours, and I've never prayed so hard that the folks at the rental agency were super careful to check all of the car's crevices to make sure no one left anything untoward in the car. I knew I was "clean" - that's just the way I roll - but if someone had left or planted something in that car, yours truly would probably still be locked up in some penitentiary in Ontario.

The rest of the trip was thankfully mundane - this time for real. But after what had (almost) happened at the border the day before, watching UNH capitulate 7-2 to the Downeast Enemy was less stressful for me that for most. I ithink I met e-cat after that game in a bar not too far from the arena. Anyway, the trip back after Saturday's final was this time restricted to the US side of the border, and with newfound respect for sweating the details before making multiple illogical border crossings.

So that's my "I'll drive anywhere, I miss my Expos, and it's a UNH story" all-tied-up-in-one, story.

Comment

Check out the simulation thread.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      Please point to the section of the Constitution that says anything resembling that.

Comment

It's an irrelevant question anyway. The states have the authority to cancel the elections. But requests would likely come from the federal government (in the form of Sniffles, one of his surrogates or maybe Faux & Fiends). Is it really worth fighting over semantics?

States CAN cancel elections (Ohio just did it yesterday).
                        There is no mechanism in the Constitution that requires elections.

Comment

I can't help but think of the line in the Big Short---a 1% uptick in unemployment 40,000 people die. Also, wonder what my grandpa would be thinking---he lived through the depression. So the Government told workers to stop working and go home?

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Check out the simulation thread.
                            It’s something to read, but doesn’t add a 9th banner in Magness or the Ralph, or UMD won’t go down in the history books...
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by concretecharlie View Post
                              I can't help but think of the line in the Big Short---a 1% uptick in unemployment 40,000 people die. Also, wonder what my grandpa would be thinking---he lived through the depression. So the Government told workers to stop working and go home?
                              That line has weighed on me as well. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I'm sure the general theory is correct.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                LOL, What?

So Pence is our new President if elections are suspended?
                                Both their current terms expire at 4 years under the constitution. If we still cared about the constitution, and elections were cancelled, we would be without a president when their term expired. Unless the house appointed someone to it, or whatever. There's no allowance for extension of a term.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X