This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

In my best Bullwinkle voice, "And now here's something I hope you're gonna like"

Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-22-2020, 08:29 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Great half-hour interview with Dr. Fauci on Fox News, will repeat at 11:00pm Eastern tonight. First Pence, then Fauci. Very revealing!
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Great half-hour interview with Dr. Fauci on Fox News, will repeat at 11:00pm Eastern tonight. First Pence, then Fauci. Very revealing!
        Certainly was. Not a normal watcher but husband had it on. What did you feel revealing? From today's presser it was revealed by the Presodent "how hard it was for rich people to run for office" and that hes " lost billions of dollars".. ok...

Meanwhile the US went above the 30k mark in CV cases.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          Noted physician scientists Dr. Cuomo and Dr. Trump....I am really reassured by their evidence-free recommendations. We need to wait for controlled trials (which by the way are not difficult to run in this setting) before making broad based conclusions. This is experimental and should be limited to experiments.

And low toxicity? Its most well known side effect is blindness...*

I actually use this medication off-label for accepted uses and perform regular retinal screening on these patients. I do know several patients (none of my own as of yet) who have experienced severe retinal complications.
          you use this and you don't know how to avoid eye damage. wow. just wow.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            None of this thread is worth responding to. Just grab a beverage and snack of your choice and have a sad chuckle at Cult45 in action.
            I can hear the groans of disappointment, every time a treatment or possible vaccine is mention.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              you use this and you don't know how to avoid eye damage. wow. just wow.
              Do you think every person reacts the same to a particular drug. ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Waiting for quiz answer Darius to check in with his review on today's press conference. Personally, I thought it went well, but other opinions are always enlightening ...
                I missed the beginning, they kind of stealthed this one onto the schedule, probably to sneak it in before the doctors could get to the White House. A doctor interviewed later spoke very highly of the talking points presented so I'll go with that. The beginning went well.

The part I did see was a FEMA, I think, guy fumbling all over his words and the President, in full on ramble mode, about how glad he was that he spent so much money to buy the election. That part did not go well.

I win?
                Last edited by Darius; 03-23-2020, 07:06 AM.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

President Trump approval rating according to Harris poll at 60%.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    President Trump approval rating according to Harris poll at 60%.
                    Same poll that said 72% of those polled don’t fear dying from the virus.😱
                    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                    Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      I can hear the groans of disappointment, every time a treatment or possible vaccine is mention.
                      You noticed that too, eh? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Speaking of which ...

Noted physician scientists Dr. Cuomo and Dr. Trump....I am really reassured by their evidence-free recommendations. We need to wait for controlled trials (which by the way are not difficult to run in this setting) before making broad based conclusions. This is experimental and should be limited to experiments.
                      Of course, how silly of them. I'm sure they're doing this without consulting with the medical experts.

BTW, I'm pretty sure when I voted back in November 2016, President Fauci was not on the ballot.

I have an idea. Let's let the elected leaders lead, and consult with the experts when making their decisions? And if the elected leaders want to give off a positive spin - "cheerleading" or whatever we want to call it - well, that's kind of what leaders do to rally their people in trying times. FDR gave his "Fear Itself" speech at the beginning of his first term in 1933, when all indicators were telling everyone it was still going to be a long slog through the '30's to get out of the Depression (which some would argue lasted through all 4 of his terms, including WW2) … and Churchill gave his "Never Surrender" speech while the Germans were dropping bombs some people were doing something daily over London. BTW I don't buy the "wartime President" thing here (yet) but the concept of leaders trying to bolster their peoples' optimism isn't really a foreign concept to you, is it?

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      The part I did see was a FEMA, I think, guy fumbling all over his words and the President, in full on ramble mode, about how glad he was that he spent so much money to buy the election. That part did not go well.
                      I will say, Peter Gaynor (the FEMA guy) looked nervous as a tick even before he started, and I don't know if he's spoken to the nation before. My wife asked me "Who's the guy with the RBF on the right side?" Not knowing the term, I asked and was then informed what RBF stands for, so that was my "new learning" for Sunday. I'm wondering if we'll be seeing him again, and if we do, someone may want to give him a drink in advance to steady his nerves.

Your take on President Trump's comments misses the overall context, which was numerous badgering questions (where he held his temper better than usual), including a snarky comment by a reporter who, when Trump said it was "too bad" about Senator Romney being in self-quarantine, asked "Was that sarcasm?" to which Trump immediately shot back "No" … and numerous other stupid questions about him and his proximity to Rand Paul (nothing), perceived need for him to re-test (no), a funny exchange with Pence about how they each handled the testing, and then inferences that bail-outs would somehow benefit Trump himself. Again, it's amazing how these bloodhounds somehow go off the trail when it leads to (say) a certain D-CA senator.

I didn't hear his (admittedly overlong) comments about his monetary loss in running for President being based so much on what he spent - and I think all credible sources will tell you he was outspent by his opponent in the general election - but rather on the money he's foregone by not only refusing to accept the annual $450,000 salary all recent Presidents have gladly accepted, but on divesting himself of his own companies' holdings. So when some wet-behind-the-ears know-nothing reporter badgers him about stupidity on an evening when he's clearly going overboard to answer everyone else's questions … yeah, I think it's OK if he points out that (unlike Burr and Feinstein, possibly others) he's hardly profiting from his experience in politics. But he's glad he did it.

What I took out of it was that it doesn't sound like the President is going to do anything like "shelter in place" on a nationwide basis, and leave the decisions on specific states to their governors. Both he and Pence mentioned multiple times how yesterday was "Day 7 out of the 15 day lockdown plan", and he outright called supposed forthcoming martial law "disinformation", which one would think some would prefer to his usual "fake news" terminology.

FWIW it looks like the markets are set to open UP this morning, after the weekend futures were well down until after last night's conference. So at least in this short window of time, it seems like the perceptions out there were pretty favorable.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Not sure what your background is but in vitro data is quite suspect for any broad conclusions, especially in clinical medicine.
                        That's probably your most important and relevant comment. There's a fair amount of selection bias and presumption in your polemic. As a neuropsychology professor and research scientist I'm quite aware of the critical nature and value of RCTs in clinical medicine and have documented RCTs in published peer reviewed literature over several years. I mentioned its importance at the end of my post and a careful reading could have saved you a lot of time and effort.

Well designed RCTs are essential in maintaining compliance with good clinical practice and minimizing risks to trial integrity. However, the FDA is currently "fast tracking" several clinical trials of Hydroylchloroquine and Chloroquine in several regions. As I've repeatedly said, I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but several clinical researchers concur there is more than "anecdotal" evidence here. That is why the FDA is working quickly and open to deviating from normal research protocols to save lives. These drugs have a known profile with a concise review of the pharmacology, clinical efficacy and tolerability. If all goes well, we could see an approval in record time. Let's see what happens in the very near future.

FDA Commissioner Dr. Steve Hahn said during a White House briefing Thursday that the FDA is examining using a drug called Chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, which has been used to treat malaria since 1944 and severe cases of arthritis. Hahn said because the drug is already in use and the side affects are known, it is safer. In short term, we’re looking at drugs that are already approved for other uses. The FDA is aware that protocol modifications may be required, and that there may be unavoidable protocol deviations due to COVID-19.

Comment

Chuck, rather than repost your post...laughed about your "President Fauci" comment. Sorry he has to get up there and use science and facts to explain what's going on. I for one am not watching these things anymore as I need to know the basics around what's going on. I don't need to hear his personal pep rally for himself...What do you expect Fauci to do when the President is talking about things that, and with all due respect, aren't quite yet in the works? Fauci says the current ideas for drug therapies and possible results are anecdotal..there's nothing wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with the President offering hope to what could be possible. Fauci isn't going away. The President can kick him out of his group but he said in an interview over the weekend that 'while he doesn't expect to be fired, if he is, he'll keep on talking". Thank God for that.

Ps...his Mitt Romney comment, wasn't that just a hoot? Real "presidential".

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Chuck, rather than repost your post...laughed about your "President Fauci" comment. Sorry he has to get up there and use science and facts to explain what's going on. I for one am not watching these things anymore as I need to know the basics around what's going on. I don't need to hear his personal pep rally for himself...What do you expect Fauci to do when the President is talking about things that, and with all due respect, aren't quite yet in the works? Fauci says the current ideas for drug therapies and possible results are anecdotal..there's nothing wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with the President offering hope to what could be possible. Fauci isn't going away. The President can kick him out of his group but he said in an interview over the weekend that 'while he doesn't expect to be fired, if he is, he'll keep on talking". Thank God for that.

Ps...his Mitt Romney comment, wasn't that just a hoot? Real "presidential".
                            My phone thanks you.

Comment

You noticed that too, eh? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Speaking of which ... .
                              Maybe its fatigue from dragging the "hoax" crowd into reality, and now being faced with the magical "there will be a cure in 15 days" response. Trying to devise a plan that does't rely upon the assumption that this will all go away seems reasonable, not gleeful. Not sure that the "this is just the flu" crowd is really in a position to chastize others for being too pesimistc.

That said, I remind my kids how this highlights the hardships of prior generations, be it the sacrifice of going to a war that suddenly ended, or the fear of contracting polio, which thanks to science, Mr. Salk, suddenly goes away.

Yes, there may be such ground-shifting vaccine, but until then, we should not be planning on anything other than Dr. Fauci's 12-18 month timeline.

What interim solutions there may be to mitigate the societal cost is a worthy discussion. I welcome that discussion stripped of the political prism that clouds many of the responses.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

FWIW it looks like the markets are set to open UP this morning, after the weekend futures were well down until after last night's conference. So at least in this short window of time, it seems like the perceptions out there were pretty favorable.
                                Umm...

Comment

Working...
                                X