This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

Tough measures enacted by Governor David Y. Ige of Hawaii. Unfortunately unless a vaccine is approved very soon, other states will be forced adopt the same "quarantine doctrine".

Every passenger arriving at a commercial or private airport in the state will be required to fill out a form with information, including where they plan to stay in Hawaii. Arriving passengers must immediately report to their quarantine location upon leaving the airport.

Hawaii residents will self-isolate at home, and visitors will be required to stay in their hotel rooms or “rented lodging” for 14 days or the duration of their stay in the state, whichever is shorter. During the two weeks of isolation, people will only be permitted to leave their quarantine location to seek urgent medical care. Disobeying the order could result in a $5,000 fine and up to a year in prison.
    Gov. Cuomo has recently ordered 70,000 Doses of Hydroxylchloroquine, 10,000 doses of Zithromax and 750,000 Doses of Chloroquine to implement RCTs starting Tuesday. NY is the hardest hit state and today documented 5429 new cases bringing the total to 15,801 cases with 114 deaths.

Not sure why Dr. Fauci keeps saying that chloroquine is "anecdotal". I've publish mixed methodology research that included qualitative data analysis which was arguably anecdotal. But two research studies from France and China (in vitro) suggests otherwise and are clearly NOT "anecdotal" evidence. Moreover, that term is most often used when referring to qualitative research, but these are not qualitative designs. Dr. Fauci is rightfully taking a standard of care and experimental design approach to determining the drug's efficacy. But like many of my colleagues in the scientific community there is a tendency dismiss ALL evidential support unless it is subject to robust protocols within RCT research parameters.

In this current environment, I feel Gov. Cuomo in consultation with Dr. Howard A. Zucker, the Commissioner of Health for New York State, is making the correct decision to provide this treatment protocol immediately to those who are struggling with severe viral symptoms and personally request a titration monitored intervention of the treatment dyad. The recommended dosage of Hydroxychloroquine sulfate has a relatively low toxicity profile and researchers suggest front loading 400 mg twice daily for 1 day, followed by 200 mg twice daily for 4 more days.

Having read through the research designs of the drug, one of the most encouraging signs of Hydoxylchloroquine is it's an alkali base that changes the pH on the cellular membrane and that alone has an inhibitory effect. But the true efficacy of it's dyadic intervention coupled with the antibiotic protocol is it's ability to "jam" the mRNA signal sequence and prevent the binding of CoV-19 virion to membrane receptors, and thus viral particles cannot enter the intercellular space of the host to self-replicate. It also has an immunomodulatory effect which may be useful in controlling the "cytokine storm" (severe allostatic overload) that occurs late phase in critically ill SARS CoV 2 (CoV-19) infected who are often elderly patients.

Again not getting my hopes up too high here, but I think we are on to something... Let's see what the RCTs reveal. Quickly, before more precious lives are lost. It's my hope that we can put aside caustic political discourse and come together as a nation united and resilient, carrying each other's burdens until this is clearly defeated.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-22-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Thank you for this post Chuck! This is the second time in four years I’ve heard a Trump voter “admit” that he’s only human and not some kind of holy diety (as he says of himself, “I’ve never made a mistake!” I understand where you’re coming from.
      You hang with a rough crowd. I know many many Trump supporters and not one of them think he is a g-d.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
        Anyone know if those senators, yes on both sides of the aisle, simply moved out of long positions in the market or they had the nerve to short the market? Either way if they had prior knowledge , especially from some upcoming news related story about the Chinese flu they should be hung from their genitalia.
        Don't know the answer to that acs but no senator or congressman or congresswoman should be allowed to own individual stocks. Their portfolios should be in blind trusts and managed by independent money managers. It is appalling that this is not the case. DiFi passes the buck and says herhusband is in charge of the blind trust they own. This is the height of arrogance!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Gov. Cuomo has recently ordered 70,000 Doses of Hydroxylchloroquine, 10,000 doses of Zithromax and 750,000 Doses of Chloroquine to implement RCTs starting Tuesday. NY is the hardest hit state and today documented 5429 new cases bringing the total to 15,801 cases with 114 deaths.
          according to the "experts" on the board, he must be an idiot. they all know Chloroquine and Hydroxylchloroquine don't work.
          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Don't know the answer to that acs but no senator or congressman or congresswoman should be allowed to own individual stocks. Their portfolios should be in blind trusts and managed by independent money managers. It is appalling that this is not the case. DiFi passes the buck and says herhusband is in charge of the blind trust they own. This is the height of arrogance!
            Agree! Always been a Feinstein admirer. This is disappointing.
            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Edit: not worth it
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316
                Glad you and Gov have created a rush on medicines critical to treating other conditions like infections and lupus on anecdotal data. Great job!
                Other conditions are being treated?? I was told things like car accidents and heart attacks would be left to die at the emergency room door. If those aren't emergencies, surely infections aren't!
                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Edit: not worth it
                  None of this thread is worth responding to. Just grab a beverage and snack of your choice and have a sad chuckle at Cult45 in action.

Comment

Tough measures enacted by Governor David Y. Ige of Hawaii. Unfortunately unless a vaccine is approved very soon, other states will be forced adopt the same "quarantine doctrine".
                    If you think a vaccine will be approved "soon" you know very little about vaccines. 12-18 months is realistic at best based on current understanding.

Not sure why Dr. Fauci keeps saying that chloroquine is "anecdotal". I've publish mixed methodology research that included qualitative data analysis which was arguably anecdotal. But two research studies from France and China (in vitro) suggests otherwise and are clearly NOT "anecdotal" evidence.
                    Not sure what your background is but in vitro data is quite suspect for any broad conclusions, especially in clinical medicine. https://xkcd.com/1217/

The recommended dosage of Hydroxychloroquine sulfate has a relatively low toxicity profile and researchers suggest front loading 400 mg twice daily for 1 day, followed by 200 mg twice daily for 4 more days.
                    You honestly cannot know that. At this point, the evidence that is available is at best hypothesis driving and is no where near what is acceptable for broad clinical application except for a quack. Study it, and then apply it if the data holds.

Having read through the research designs of the drug, one of the most encouraging signs of Hydoxylchloroquine is it's an alkali base that changes the pH on the cellular membrane and that alone has an inhibitory effect. But the true efficacy of it's dyadic intervention coupled with the antibiotic protocol is it's ability to "jam" the mRNA signal sequence and prevent the binding of CoV-19 virion to membrane receptors, and thus viral particles cannot enter the intercellular space of the host to self-replicate. It also has an immunomodulatory effect which may be useful in controlling the "cytokine storm" (severe allostatic overload) that occurs late phase in critically ill SARS CoV 2 (CoV-19) infected who are often elderly patients.
                    I could say the same thing about hundreds of clinical "cures" that have failed to produce positive results once properly vetted in humans. This sounds like someone who has never ventured out of their lab to talk to a clinician and has ignored the 99% of trials that fail once properly tested. It is incredibly ignorant and reckless to push treatments that we do not know the number needed to treat or number needed to harm into to the public.

The most important lesson to learn as a physician (which is incredibly hard as a compassionate clinician) is to "don't just do something, stand there." Often the best course with incomplete information is to not do anything as we are very susceptible to underestimate harm.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Love him or hate him, one has to respect that he has beliefs and stands by them.
                      Very true.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Love him or hate him, one has to respect that he has beliefs and stands by them.
                        I think if you dig into Rand Pauls positions you will find he is a hypocrite
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                          You almost made it through a post without going over the edge.
                          Where did it go "over the edge"? Because I asked a simple question about why certain aspects of the media lacks curiosity about certain sensitive persons/topics? After pointing out how an apparently reviled Fox guy had a legitimate go at Sen. Loeffler?

As you can see from other responses (and my post) on the topic, there is no defending Sen. Burr. Who is the superstar on your side of the aisle who dares question DiFi? No one (so far).

Not sure why Dr. Fauci keeps saying that chloroquine is "anecdotal". I've publish mixed methodology research that included qualitative data analysis which was arguably anecdotal. But two research studies from France and China (in vitro) suggests otherwise and are clearly NOT "anecdotal" evidence. Moreover, that term is most often used when referring to qualitative research, but these are not qualitative designs. Dr. Fauci is rightfully taking a standard of care and experimental design approach to determining the drug's efficacy. But like many of my colleagues in the scientific community there is a tendency dismiss ALL evidential support unless it is subject to robust protocols within RCT research parameters.

In this current environment, I feel Gov. Cuomo in consultation with Dr. Howard A. Zucker, the Commissioner of Health for New York State, is making the correct decision to provide this treatment protocol immediately to those who are struggling with severe viral symptoms and personally request a titration monitored intervention of the treatment dyad. The recommended dosage of Hydroxychloroquine sulfate has a relatively low toxicity profile and researchers suggest front loading 400 mg twice daily for 1 day, followed by 200 mg twice daily for 4 more days.

Again not getting my hopes up too high here, but I think we are on to something... Let's see what the RCTs reveal. Quickly, before more precious lives are lost. It's my hope that we can put aside caustic political discourse and come together as a nation united and resilient, carrying each other's burdens until this is clearly defeated.
                          Fantastic post. And to those tut-tutting about this, please remember … BOTH Governor Cuomo and President Trump have agreed to try out this approach to treatment. Some folks are optimistic; no one is guaranteeing anything. It's low toxicity. Why not try?

Waiting for quiz answer Darius to check in with his review on today's press conference. Personally, I thought it went well, but other opinions are always enlightening ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Jeezuz you pick and choose what you like and ignore the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Where did it go "over the edge"? Because I asked a simple question about why certain aspects of the media lacks curiosity about certain sensitive persons/topics? After pointing out how an apparently reviled Fox guy had a legitimate go at Sen. Loeffler?

As you can see from other responses (and my post) on the topic, there is no defending Sen. Burr. Who is the superstar on your side of the aisle who dares question DiFi? No one (so far).

Fantastic post. And to those tut-tutting about this, please remember … BOTH Governor Cuomo and President Trump have agreed to try out this approach to treatment. Some folks are optimistic; no one is guaranteeing anything. It's low toxicity. Why not try?

Waiting for quiz answer Darius to check in with his review on today's press conference. Personally, I thought it went well, but other opinions are always enlightening ...
                              I’m on neither side of the aisle. I sit in the aisle, always have. As far as insider trading, anyone from any party who profits from this should be hung from a post. I’ve always said, hang a rope from the Washington monument for ANY politician who abuses their position to the extreme.(relax folks, a metaphor.)
                              As far as which news services report negative stories based on party, that will never change, left or right. The days of evening real news followed by a 5 minute editorial, where we were told it was an opinion only, are long passed by.
                              That is sad. It leads to what we have now.
                              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                              Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                And to those tut-tutting about this, please remember … BOTH Governor Cuomo and President Trump have agreed to try out this approach to treatment. Some folks are optimistic; no one is guaranteeing anything. It's low toxicity. Why not try?
                                Noted physician scientists Dr. Cuomo and Dr. Trump....I am really reassured by their evidence-free recommendations. We need to wait for controlled trials (which by the way are not difficult to run in this setting) before making broad based conclusions. This is experimental and should be limited to experiments.

And low toxicity? Its most well known side effect is blindness...*

I actually use this medication off-label for accepted uses and perform regular retinal screening on these patients. I do know several patients (none of my own as of yet) who have experienced severe retinal complications.
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X