X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    All I know is before adding to the conversation I spoke with my friend who not only is an experience physician but one of the medical center's department heads so what I relayed wouldn't be my opinion but that of someone who knows and I get called out on it by someone I don't know on forum and never interacted with before.
    I don't care if anyone has a counterpoint, just be civil and we'll all be friends.
    and I want to add that I am not a young man and am in the "at risk" age group and as such I resent at my age others making decisions for me. If I want to attend a sporting event at a "possible" risk to my health that's my business.
    I apologize if I was not civil (truly). It is mighty frustrating to see people saying reassuring things that may lead to unintended spread or bad outcomes but I should not have been snide.

Have been following this closely since before it started- have a fascination with the whole epidemiology thing and they have been warning for a few yrs now. there are a bunch of things that make this more than a bad flu. It isn't the microbiology of it but the public health impact and resources. It frustrates me when people are looking only at the micro of it. Technically if only considering that they are correct. But- there are other variables.

Most important- Wuhan had a significantly higher death rate than outlying provinces. Not because of the population but because the sheer burden of cases. They made the pretty hospital with 20k of beds but didn't have the staff or the equipment to handle the volume. There are not many places in this country that can handle extra volume. How many hospitals have go to diversion during Flu season? Many. Only this time there will be no where to divert to.

We have a firewall of sorts when considering the Flu- people who have been immunized are less likely to spread or get very ill. That means the people that chose not to or cannot get vaccine are less likely to get it if they are surrounded by people who have prevented. No one has immunity to COVID ergo everyone is at risk to be a vector. Some research is showing reinfection. Some research is showing viral shed up to 8 weeks first testing positive. People who are getting sick are staying very sick, needing intensive intervention, for ~2wks when compared to 1 week if flu.

While I understand the Libertarian view that it should be your business- it is not just your business. If you put yourself at risk, catch the thing you impact those around you in many ways. If you are lucky enough to be asymptomatic you are a vector. If you become acutely ill and end up occupying a bed with a ventilator attached for 2 weeks you are no longer just doing you. You are using resources that could be used for someone else because you used your freedom of choice. This is a case where personal decisions become community risk. Hopefully enough people care about the others around them to decrease this risk

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Did anyone tell them that Cornell is ranked #1 in D1 Hockey?
      And was #2 in the sport formerly known as lacrosse.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        I apologize if I was not civil (truly). It is mighty frustrating to see people saying reassuring things that may lead to unintended spread or bad outcomes but I should not have been snide.
        Thank you and I wish to apologize as well for my overreaction!

Comment

If this makes me a meathead, I will gladly accept the honor. Harvard not allowing the hockey team to play at all is absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            Did anyone tell them that Cornell is ranked #1 in D1 Hockey?
            Not a spring sport
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              If this makes me a meathead, I will gladly accept the honor. Harvard not allowing the hockey team to play at all is absurd.
              While I think it might be an overreaction, almost 200 people in Italy have died of Covid-19 in 24 hours. I'm not going to second guess anyone who acts out of an abundance of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Beyond absurd. Banning spectators would be understandable but abolishing the last weekend of their season IMO crosses into hysteria.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

What are the ages/health factors of those people who died? You can't allow 18-23 year olds compete in an empty arena?

Comment

Hard to know where to land on this one. Seems unfair to the players and the rest of the league, however this is a huge public health problem, it appears that we will not see a peak in the US for a few more weeks. People are still quarantined in Wuhan. Denial is a good defense mechanism for some things but not for a virus.
                    Last edited by DNAEagle; 03-11-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Per Mike McMahon

Just in the last few minutes, both UMass and UMass Lowell have announced that Hockey East quarterfinal series scheduled for this weekend will be played without fans in attendance.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What are the ages/health factors of those people who died? You can't allow 18-23 year olds compete in an empty arena?
                        I don't think it is the worry of those individuals so much as if they become a carrier of it and help the spread to the rest of the population.

It still seems crazy, but I have a feeling we are all going to be living in very odd circumstances over the next couple of months.

Comment

I feel like there are a lot of people at Harvard much smarter than we are so...

Comment

You can't allow 18-23 year olds compete in an empty arena?
                            Given the situation, you can, and should.

Comment

No fans for March Madness. So FF and regionals are next.

Comment

I just heard NCAA is playing upcoming tournaments (including the upcoming basketball tournament) without spectators. Waiting on confirmation, and I would guess that means us too.
                                Silver lining—will be very convenient for fans in Michigan since they won’t have a local team to support anyways
                                Last edited by UMD21; 03-11-2020, 03:54 PM.
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X