This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Voting in person is simply outdated. Depending on the job you have and what hours you were, you could be impacted. Same if you have young kids or if you're sick.
    A simple solution for general elections would be to eliminate Columbus Day and make Voting Day a National holiday.

Yes, the service industry (for example) would still be hamstrung by this, but making it an actual holiday would be a path forward.

As for spring elections like these primaries... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Democratic Challengers 2020 - 12: The End of the Beginning

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Also, I don't think any system would remove skeptics claiming the fix is in.
      Same problem even with in person voting.

There must be incredibly secure systems for financial transactions which answer the same requirements: you must have a system that preserves anonymity but accurately tracks and records the data, which the user can check from her permissions to verify her data is correct, and which the institution can check from their permissions to perform functions.

In banking the entities are the customer and the bank, and the action is making deposits.

In elections the entities are the voter and the state, and the action is voting.

They should be analogous. And in each case there should be a trusted third party which verifies everything is legit.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rufus, you're an easy target. If someone challenges you on something it's automatically trolling. It couldn't possibly be that people like me get tired of the same talking points from both sides which only leads to more divisiveness.

If you think voter suppression is a thing I am telling you I am all in favor of using technology so that it's easier for everyone to vote. I'm not gonna pretend to know why certain polling locations close. So let's take the BS out of the equation and use technology.
        I don't want more technology in voting. I want everyone who wants to cast a ballot to be able to get one without having to jump through hoops, given a piece of paper and a marker, and color in circles.

Paper and pen, that's all we need.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Rufus, you're an easy target. If someone challenges you on something it's automatically trolling. It couldn't possibly be that people like me get tired of the same talking points from both sides which only leads to more divisiveness.

If you think voter suppression is a thing I am telling you I am all in favor of using technology so that it's easier for everyone to vote. I'm not gonna pretend to know why certain polling locations close. So let's take the BS out of the equation and use technology.
          How, really, will technology fix that?

If a place is not flush with smart phones, you can't use that to help voters. If a place is not even flush with the internet- that's not going to help. And those are two very common situations. Heck, not related to voting, but Seattle is planning on school closures, and given they have tech disparity, they can not rely on the internet for school.

I have not seen on piece of tech that actually helps voter suppression, and I've not seen any real evidence that there is any significant voter fraud.

Comment

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can vote in person or via smartphone. It really shouldn't be that difficult to put together unless you have people who don't want to do it...

Comment

I want nothing to do with smart phone voting. Like zero. Nothing. Nuke it from orbit and salt the earth just to make sure.

Paper. Pen. Scanner.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That makes zero sense to me but ok. But let's keep crying about voter suppression.

Comment

We use technology more and more for everything yet it should be taboo when it comes to voting.

Comment

That makes zero sense to me but ok. But let's keep crying about voter suppression.
                    Crying about something that's actually happening is valid. Crying about something that doesn't exist to any degree (Voter Fraud) is really crying.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

We use technology more and more for everything yet it should be taboo when it comes to voting.
                      If my cell phone occasionally stumbles when I use it to open my garage door, the only harm is I might get wet if it raining when I get home. If it somehow has something to do with my vote, it better working 100% of the time. 100 fvcking %.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Crying about something that's actually happening is valid. Crying about something that doesn't exist to any degree (Voter Fraud) is really crying.
                        https://www.vo*****/policy-and-politics/2019/2/21/18230009/voter-id-laws-fraud-turnout-study-research

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Bernie lost me today. Instead of doubling down on his core policies and ideas, he pointed out that there's this great conspiracy out to get him.

Had you done a job of explaining why your version of the United States is better than Joe's, that would better inform me why I should choose him. Instead, he attacks more people as if they are out to get him and is unique revolution. As if it's even that unique.

Sorry, Bernie- you are starting to sound like dumpy. I can deal with the ACA eventually turning into universal healthcare instead of forcing it all at once.
                          I saw this coverage today and it seems pretty mild. Sanders has every right to go after Biden's record as the contest is far from over. Biden had a surprisingly coherent response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Dueling Biden versus Sanders interviews

Get ready for three more months of this.

At least.

“There’s an article — I don't know if you saw it today, The Wall Street Journal, Wall Street starts opening up its wallet for Joe Biden. He has more than 60 billionaires contributing to his campaign,” Bernie Sanders told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow yesterday.

Joe Biden’s response from his interview with NBC’s Savannah Guthrie: “It's ridiculous. Bernie you got beaten by overwhelming support I have from the African American community, Bernie. You got beaten because of suburban women Bernie. You got beaten because of the middle class, hard-working folks out there Bernie. You've raised a lot more money than I have, Bernie.”

More Sanders to Rachel Maddow yesterday: “We're going to the Midwest, Michigan. Michigan was decimated by terrible, terrible trade deals, NAFTA, PNTR with China, which cost our country some 4 million good paying jobs. I walked the picket lines against NAFTA. I went to Mexico to see what NAFTA would do. Joe voted for those terrible agreements.”

More Biden to Guthrie: “Let's go to Michigan, Bernie. Let's see if that's true. I'm the guy that helped bail out the automobile industry. What'd you do old buddy? Come on. This idea of that my record is a problem, this is a guy that voted against the Brady bill five times for background checks on people. ... I welcome the competition, Bernie. Let's talk about your votes, let's talk about my votes. Let's see what the American people say.”
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...urvey-n1150356
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Using paper ballots has nothing to do with voter suppression.

Purging people from your voter rolls for dubious reasons does. Ain't no amount of voting on your phone or over the internet is gonna alleviate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              If my cell phone occasionally stumbles when I use it to open my garage door, the only harm is I might get wet if it raining when I get home. If it somehow has something to do with my vote, it better working 100% of the time. 100 fvcking %.
                              If you introduce technology to people who can't get to a polling location or have no desire to go to a polling location you're at least giving them an additional option. You can still have polling locations.

Comment

Yes. When you see the numbers of cases of user information hacked over the last few years, yes.

If they can hack my credit card info, they can hack my vote. And which one is more important?

Comment

Working...
                                X