X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 2020 - 12: The End of the Beginning

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    But fewer places to vote causing long lines with frustrated voters would impact all voters.
    All voters that are required to vote in those districts. If you are not in a district that closed a location, then you would not be impacted.

It's curious that most of the long lines that stretch around city blocks are lined with people that are non-white. Happens here in SE MI, and I've seen pictures of it in Ohio, and PA..... It happened in Georgia recently.

If anyone was allowed to vote anywhere, that would somewhat frustrate everyone. But not fully, as many of the people who have had their local polling places close also do not have the means to travel to another location.

Comment

That's fair

Comment

With the technology we have including biometric solutions we should be able to get to a point where you can vote from your smartphone while also keeping polling locations.

Comment

Sadly nobody is gonna make voting easier
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Someone like Andrew Yang maybe!

As older people pass away I think we'll get there.

Comment

I was just impressed to see my polling location actually using tablets at check in rather than stacks of paper

Comment

I was just impressed to see my polling location actually using tablets at check in rather than stacks of paper
                I would not want that at all. It's pretty obvious that we, as a society, do not have the ability to make a really secure, on line, voting system. Even the paper version has huge holes in the system. It would take some of the best coders in the industry to make a truly safe on-line only system- who are never going to work for government coin.

Paper- both so that the voter rolls can not be manipulated once out, and that there's a paper trace of the actual vote.

Someday, perhaps- but not now, and not with multiple foreign powers trying stick themselves into our election system with the internet security as it is.

Let alone the cost of a system like that, which hardly has good enough penetration to all areas of the country. It's not going to speed things up in poor polling districts that have had their funds cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  But fewer places to vote causing long lines with frustrated voters would impact all voters.
                  Depends on how many voters you have for each party.

In Texas, you had Trump running unopposed, so no great need for Republicans to turn out. But there, Democrats had to vote on Democrat assigned machines, while Republicans had their own designated machines. Same numbers of each at polling places, despite far more Democratic voters.

You like to "challenge the conventional wisdom". Sure, that's it.

Any of this stuff you want to know, you could easily find on Google. But you had to come here to challenge the conventional wisdom, ie troll.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    The other 1/3 of lost polling places were in largely white areas of the state, who saw their population numbers decrease.

So yeah, both sides.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I should add there have been studies that contradict voter ID laws allegedly suppressing minority voters while also contradicting that voter ID laws prevent voter fraud. But the general idea of requiring identification is not some outlandish, unheard of concept. Happens in day to day life all the time.
                      Source?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

With the technology we have including biometric solutions we should be able to get to a point where you can vote from your smartphone while also keeping polling locations.
                        Even when that point is reached--and it will probably be soon--the question will be how long it takes people to accept it. Like juries. Even if it could be shown that judges make better finders of fact, the real question is whether people need juries to maintain their faith in the system. Even if technology makes personal device voting easier and more reliable, the question is whether people's faith in the result is more easily shaken.

As someone noted, though, Rs will never allow easier voting access.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Even when that point is reached--and it will probably be soon--the question will be how long it takes people to accept it. Like juries. Even if it could be shown that judges make better finders of fact, the real question is whether people need juries to maintain their faith in the system. Even if technology makes personal device voting easier and more reliable, the question is whether people's faith in the result is more easily shaken.

As someone noted, though, Rs will never allow easier voting access.
                          Republicans will push technology solutions that favor the rich and ban technology solutions that favor the young.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rufus, you're an easy target. If someone challenges you on something it's automatically trolling. It couldn't possibly be that people like me get tired of the same talking points from both sides which only leads to more divisiveness.

If you think voter suppression is a thing I am telling you I am all in favor of using technology so that it's easier for everyone to vote. I'm not gonna pretend to know why certain polling locations close. So let's take the BS out of the equation and use technology.

Comment

Also, I don't think any system would remove skeptics claiming the fix is in.

Comment

Voting in person is simply outdated. Depending on the job you have and what hours you were, you could be impacted. Same if you have young kids or if you're sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X