This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    You do realize that every law has a loophole, or that every law doesn't happen to cover everything, right? Right?
    well, jd WAS asking
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      We should probably nominate Romney.
      Oh heck, why not Rubio

Comment

Re: Democratic Challengers 2020 - 12: The End of the Beginning

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        How does a particular city make voting difficult? Aren't they governed by the law in regard to how to handle voters?
        You've got to be kidding with this question. You sound like you are the poster child for willful blindness. That elections are controlled at a local level (usually counties)is one of the biggest problems with federal elections in the country. If they were run at least at the state level they might be a little easier to monitor for the rampant unfairness in many places, especially places where a majority or large minority of the voters are either poor or people of color.
        Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 03-04-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          You do realize that every law has a loophole, or that every law doesn't happen to cover everything, right? Right?
          And that the local pols have their lobbyists and buddies in the state Congress to pass laws to make it easier for them. Which an R governor will sign, of course, especially one as obnoxious as Greg Abbott has been. Perry and Shrub look moderate in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            You've got to be kidding with this question. You sound like you are the poster child for willful blindness. That elections are controlled at a local level (usually counties)is one of the biggest problems with federal elections in the country. If they were run at least at the state level they might be a little easier to monitor for the rampant unfairness in many places, especially places where a majority or large minority of the voters are either poor or people of color.
            Yes, willful blindness because I don't know how every city handles voters and what laws they are breaking because they don't want certain people to vote. Should be pretty easy to capture, cell phones are magical these days.

Comment

Or give me an example of a law that is unfair when it comes to voting

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                I know I’m going to regret this

Voter ID
                Purges
                No early voting
                Fewer polling places
                No national holiday
                Caucuses
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The only thing you should regret is some of the things you listed. But just starting right off the bat, the idea that asking for identification (when this happens in so many other areas in life) is somehow wrong when it comes to voting is absolutely ridiculous. And it's not like voter ID is specific to the US either.
                  Last edited by J.D.; 03-04-2020, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I know I’m going to regret this

Voter ID
                    Purges
                    No early voting
                    Fewer polling places
                    No national holiday
                    Caucuses
                    TX has Voter ID, but everyone knows that going in, so that was a non-issue.
                    There was early voting
                    No idea the number of polling places, but if I heard the news right tonight, you can go to any polling place you want.

The biggest issue was a decision agreed upon by both parties against the objections of the election commission. They had separate voting machines for Republicans and Democrats, which was unnecessary since you could access either ballot on the machines. I technically used a Republican one in Dallas County since there were zero Republicans actually voting at that time, so the kid told me to use it, but make sure I put my ballot printout in the correct counting machine. I'm guessing the places with a higher turnout enforced that rule a lot more strict.

EDIT: WFAA story on it...
                    Last edited by MinnesotaNorthStar; 03-04-2020, 11:44 PM.
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Re: Democratic Challengers 2020 - 12: The End of the Beginning

I should add there have been studies that contradict voter ID laws allegedly suppressing minority voters while also contradicting that voter ID laws prevent voter fraud. But the general idea of requiring identification is not some outlandish, unheard of concept. Happens in day to day life all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        So then who the **** are you proposing?
                        John Kasich.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Not a law, but how about this. Since 2012, Texas has closed 750 polling locations. Over 2/3 of them in predominantly black/Latino districts. Meanwhile, the population in those districts has grown by over 2 million.

Fewer places to vote plus more people equal long waits in line. Like five or six hours. Long waits in line means frustrated voters, who either give up and go home, or don't bother to even vote at all.

Surely you're aware that this is happening, right? Not just in Texas, but states all over this country. You can't be this blissfully ignorant.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Yes, willful blindness because I don't know how every city handles voters and what laws they are breaking because they don't want certain people to vote. Should be pretty easy to capture, cell phones are magical these days.
                            How do you capture a city breaking a law with a cellphone?

I mean Republicans haven't even been able to get a photo of all those MA voters being bused up to NH to vote, despite loudly proclaiming they see it happening all the time.

Comment

No rufus, I just choose to challenge the traditional talking points such as there somehow being an issue with requiring identification. Your example about closing polling examples is at least a legitimate point. Although even then, you have no clue why a particular polling location or locations closes but if it fits your agenda, have at it. Has nothing to do with being blissfully ignorant. Some of you certainly get very upset over simply explaining your position.

Comment

But fewer places to vote causing long lines with frustrated voters would impact all voters.

Comment

Working...
                                X