Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I've been wondering. Now is the time where all those over-recruits from the big ten and ASU find out that they are not actually going to be showing up at school in the fall if they stay with the program they are in. How many do you think will switch to a different school that actually wants them?
    I think this year, things might take longer to shake out during the off-season regarding transfers, at least until the NCAA makes a decision about Winter sports eligibility being extended. As someone else previously posted, this virus reduction of the season is no different than an injury. You missed a month of hockey because the season was shut down. It sucks, but I don't think that requires the NCAA to extend every single senior player another year of NCAA eligibility. Just think how that would screw over the kids who planned on enrolling next year only to be told "Sorry no one is graduating this year, they are all coming back next season..."
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I think this year, things might take longer to shake out during the off-season regarding transfers, at least until the NCAA makes a decision about Winter sports eligibility being extended. As someone else previously posted, this virus reduction of the season is no different than an injury. You missed a month of hockey because the season was shut down. It sucks, but I don't think that requires the NCAA to extend every single senior player another year of NCAA eligibility. Just think how that would screw over the kids who planned on enrolling next year only to be told "Sorry no one is graduating this year, they are all coming back next season..."
      And it would mess with scholarship planning by the programs as well.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

The best players will be gone anyway. They aren't going to wait around to see what's going to happen when there are pro contracts in front of them. Michaelis has already signed with Vancouver.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Congratulations to BSU on their Sauer Trophy win last night https://www.uscho.com/2020/03/21/sim...ield-produced/
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Is the universe infinite? I actually tend to think so.

Is carping about B1G/Gwoz/NCHC ruining college hockey infinite? Signs point to yes.

Is MTU being butt hurt about the above infinite? Well, I'm hoping that the answer is no...

Ryan, maybe I missed the argument for UAH-in-AH before. I've never been convinced by one, but we have some time. Care to try?

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              1) Is the universe infinite? I actually tend to think so.
              2) Is carping about B1G/Gwoz/NCHC ruining college hockey infinite? Signs point to yes.
              3) Is MTU being butt hurt about the above infinite? Well, I'm hoping that the answer is no...
              4) Ryan, maybe I missed the argument for UAH-in-AH before. I've never been convinced by one, but we have some time. Care to try?
              GFM
              1) I tend to agree, but thinking about anything infinite make my engineer head hurt. I really isn't a concept humans can grasp if they are being honest.
              2) In my portion of the assumed to be infinite universe, my answer is "Yes."
              3) Not all are, but(t) this person is. I'm a big fan of loyalty. Just ask Merv who is no longer on my Christmas card list, nor are we friends on Facebook.
              4) I'm actually not sure if there is a good argument, but I think it is the most reasonable argument other than UAH joining the nCCHA with the other seven. Looking at the other conferences, what are UAH chances of being admitted?
              • NCHC - 0%
              • HE - 0%
              • Bi7 - 0%
              • ECAC - 1%
              • nCCHA - 5%
              • AH - 15%

The NCHC, Hockey East and Big are going to be a hard "No". I don't see UAH even having a sniff at joining any of those conferences.

I put ECAC at a 1% chance only because there is a flight risk of Atlantic Hockey's Holy Cross joining their women's program in Hockey East. If HC leaves Atlantic, maybe someone jumps ship out of the ECAC and moves to Atlantic Hockey. Again this is a very slim chance but you never know when one domino falls...

Was the departure of the seven from the WCHA equally focused on getting away from two AK schools AND also UAH, or did they just want to shed the AK schools and send a wake-up call to UAH at the same time? Is UAH having talks with the other seven and maybe by putting some financial commitments to their program on paper? If so, are they then back on board and a member in the nCCHA?

Given the low percentage chance for the other conferences, this is really the only reason Atlantic Hockey gets the best percentage as a landing spot for UAH. Most of Atlantic Hockey is in the Northeast, no more distant than the WCHA schools were. What's best for college hockey is to have UAH, UAA, UAF and ASU all in separate conferences, or all as independents with the Western schools playing in smaller conferences with room for more NC games. Given that UAH is the most Eastern school of the four, it is semi-logical to fit with AH. I'm not saying it is a great fit, but I feel it is the most realistic, outside of UAH getting 5 other teams in the SE to start hockey in the next two years.

UAH has a geographical advantage of the AK schools. I am far more worried about where UAF and UAA could possibly land. Their 1% chance is in the NCHC (maybe UAF) or a new conference with ASU and three more Western teams. However I don't think the Alaska schools can survive as independents for as long as it will take for three programs out West to appear because currently no one out West is even talking seriously about it... other than fans in online forums.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I think that there are five nCCHA teams in favor of UAH's inclusion. That's just one birdie telling another one who told me.

I think that AHA would laugh and hang up when we called, but maybe not. I don't see another bunch of schools that want to keep travel budgets low picking up a second long trip, guaranteeing a flight or a long bus ride every year. I don't think RoMo, NU, or AFA miss being in a conference with us, either.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

I think that there are five nCCHA teams in favor of UAH's inclusion. That's just one birdie telling another one who told me.

I think that AHA would laugh and hang up when we called, but maybe not. I don't see another bunch of schools that want to keep travel budgets low picking up a second long trip, guaranteeing a flight or a long bus ride every year. I don't think RoMo, NU, or AFA miss being in a conference with us, either.

GFM
                  I’d heard there were three who were having “second thoughts”, but that was a perspective that related to Alaska.

By process of elimination I’m pretty sure it was the UP schools. But I have no way of knowing positively.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Well, whoever it is, I don't think that it's very nice.

Honestly, I do worry about the effect of COVID-19 on enrollment. All 10 nWCHA schools are public (right?), but state dollars are going to be hard to come by right now, and the folks with money may be taking a bath in their investments. (That said, rich UAH benefactor: we're a better bet than the S&P 500!) I don't think that this will happen with any of these schools, but it's a big concern in my head that budgets will get slashed as schools try to keep the doors open for academics. I'm fairly sure that BG is the only school where hockey isn't the most expensive sport.

It could get ugly, and boards of trustees would know before the rest of us. If I were a private college or university with an enrollment under $50MM and a budget driven largely by tuition and fees, I'd be dang nervous.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm fairly sure that BG is the only school where hockey isn't the most expensive sport.
                      Yea DI football! When it comes to spending for athletics in the MAC, BG is towards the bottom (Miami State is towards the top, Western is in the upper quartile). However, when it comes to "stealing" from the general fund to cover athletic department overruns, BG is again towards the bottom of the MAC (Miami State is towards the top). While we are one of the poorer MAC schools when it comes to funding athletics, at least we ain't Eastern Michigan.

And I get it. Nobody cares. That's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                        And I get it. Nobody cares. That's cool.
                        I get it. I spent my childhood in Ohio and root for Mississippi State, which might actually do well in the MAC!

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Is the universe infinite? I actually tend to think so.

Is carping about B1G/Gwoz/NCHC ruining college hockey infinite? Signs point to yes.

Is MTU being butt hurt about the above infinite? Well, I'm hoping that the answer is no...

Ryan, maybe I missed the argument for UAH-in-AH before. I've never been convinced by one, but we have some time. Care to try?

GFM
                          1) Yes
                          2) Probably
                          3) For some MTU fans, yes (especially as long as a couple of Whioux/SCCC fans keep poking the bear every so often)
                          4) Your best bet for a conference is the nCCHA

Comment

GFM
                            Rumor has it that Liberty (Lynchburg) has already made the deposit to AHA. If they join, would that help UAH?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Rumor has it that Liberty (Lynchburg) has already made the deposit to AHA. If they join, would that help UAH?
                              It's a long way from here to Lynchburg — 10 hours when I last drove it and went to LU. (With a bottle of Hennessy in my camera bag. I wasn't searched. I gave it to the band that was playing. "You might as well have bought a bomb in here!" I don't live that dangerously.)

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

This thread is great. If you haven't seen it the UAH twitter feed shows these two players choosing their favorite thanksgiving dinner. It's a hoot!..
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X