Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I’m not saying they’re playing tough teams. Just the opposite. I’m saying if you roll up a high winning percentage, it doesn’t much matter who you play. That’s the flaw in the system.
    but if you fall flat in those games too many times, you're in big trouble.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      but if you fall flat in those games too many times, you're in big trouble.
      True, but what's more likely - Dropping a game to a Bentley, or getting swept by a NoDak? The downside risk is pretty small, as Penn State's 6-0 AH record and ASU's 9-1 AH record last year would indicate. There is no credit given in the Pairwise for losing to really good teams, and there's no penalty for beating bad teams.
      I'm not saying teams should set up their schedules that way. As a fan, I want to see us play UMD, SCSU, Gophs, etc., but I am saying the system unfairly rewards teams for scheduling teams that are traditionally weaker. Especially when you're an independent. WCHA teams only get 6-8 nonconference games, and since we want to see traditional rivalries, we're limited in the amount of "should win" games we can schedule. But ASU can set up a schedule of 20 games or more against teams that usually finish in the bottom third of the Pairwise, and never have to worry about getting upset in a conference tournament.
      Again, the rules are the rules (Maybe bringing back the TUC might help), but I just don't think this is a good way to determine the at large bids to the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
        So if AH is that terrible of a conference then it would affect the PWR wouldn't it? Because most of the teams in WCHA were below ASU's PWR should they not have scheduled them in advance of not knowing what their PWR would be?

Could it maybe say that because ASU is not in a conference and that it appears many teams are adverse to traveling as evidenced by the demand of WCHA for ASU to pay a subsidy for teams to travel to a resort area, that the the Athletic Dept. has to schedule what they can get at this point? That it works out easier to schedule odd number of team conferences? So I say it doesn't say anything negative about the Athletic Dept.
        You have been around this forum enough to know that travel fee is part of the mid-west WCHA school's thing. (Ask the UAX schools about that sometime.)

I'm not saying ASU is terrible. (I'm not a fan of some of their players and coaches.) They are a non-conference school that has to take games when they can get them. They are benefiting from a formula boost in PWR that is making them rank better than their on ice product.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Given our losses to graduation/pros, our schedule seems a bit aggressive. But, aim high, right?

Penn State and ASU have shown you can make the tourney by loading up on AH, and going .500 the rest of the year. But i'm not eager to follow that route.
          MSU wants to be an NCHC school — schedule the non conference in a way that shows a commitment to a high level of hockey. Simple.

Additionally, while next season’s squad won’t be as good as this season’s arguable best in school history, Hastings and co. have recruited at a very high level consistently, and are much more a reload than a rebuild program at this point.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

They are benefiting from a formula boost in PWR that is making them rank better than their on ice product.
            I'm a BG alum and live in PHX. I used to play men's league at Oceanside for years and years. I am very familiar with BG/CCHA/WCHA and ASU's program going all the way back to the early ACHA club days. I have seen them play numerous times the last few years, as well as attended numerous BG games, as my parents still live in the Toledo area.

ASU is on the same level as BG, Tech, NMU, BSU talent wise. They have made, or would have made the tourney the last two years, while the mentioned WCHA programs have been on the outside looking in and in general not really all that close to say the 14th spot. I know BSU was in the mix this year, but they were one more loss from being outside the bubble.

So has ASU used their INDY status to their benefit.....I would say yes. Are they "gaming the system"....not sure I would say that.

Look Oceanside is a dump, they've tried to polish it up, but a t*urd is still a t*urd. It's hard to get teams to come out here and play in that hole, much less good teams. They have scheduled the teams that would play them here and have tried to have some decent road series as well....

Now if once they get the new facility up they are still loading up on AH schools.....I would say then, yes they are gaming it.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I checked on PSU and they were 6-0 vs AH and 1-1 vs the WCHA. ( a split at home with Alaska)They played very few games vs HE, and did have some quality wins vs other Big teams especially early in the year vs Minnesota. The power is what it is but I think Kratch is a better metric overall. I'd like to see the power be tweaked to be less easily gamed but I doubt it will be changed. You have to wonder how much the schedule, which had like the first 12 straight at home for them, mattered.
              I have to say i'm pretty surprised Tech is playing ASU this coming year after what happened.
              Honestly, at this point, I very much doubt the schedule goes as planned.
              I am not following you. I thought ASU treated Tech nicely & respectfully at Oceanside this past year. Of course there are always a few jerks in any fan base but I don't think that's a reason not to play each other.

Comment

I am not following you. I thought ASU treated Tech nicely & respectfully at Oceanside this past year. Of course there are always a few jerks in any fan base but I don't think that's a reason not to play each other.
                I would assume its about the last time ASU came to Houghton.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  What you're missing is how the math works on a loss. You look good with all the wins against "lesser" teams, however, take your RMU series for example. ASU won both of those games by one goal. Were either of those games to simply end in a tie, ASU is out of the top 16 PWR and out of the NCAAs. You're walking a VERY fine line between success and failure, but so far it's working out well. Now no one is saying ASU is no good and isn't deserving (at least that's not how I'm reading it). It's simply saying that if ASU were in a league like the NCHC or WCHA...well...no soup for you.
                  I suspect you are right. ASU did not have as hard of a schedule as maybe they should/could have. But who would have thought Wisky would have fallen off the map? Scheduling up front does not always translate to the reality down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I would assume its about the last time ASU came to Houghton.
                    That makes more sense. Hopefully that crap doesn't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                      You have been around this forum enough to know that travel fee is part of the mid-west WCHA school's thing. (Ask the UAX schools about that sometime.)

I'm not saying ASU is terrible. (I'm not a fan of some of their players and coaches.) They are a non-conference school that has to take games when they can get them. They are benefiting from a formula boost in PWR that is making them rank better than their on ice product.
                      I have to admit, it took a lot of balls to ask for a travel subsidy to go to a resort area. Do you think the Mexican and Caribbean resort areas pay Canadians to travel down there during the winter But no harm, no foul for asking. I think your accusations against the ASU Athletics Dept. should be taken to NCAA, lets see how they rule. Otherwise I will respectfully disregard your opinion in this matter as B.S. and I will agree to disagree. However I will respect your opinion in other matters as long as they are backed up by proof.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        MSU wants to be an NCHC school — schedule the non conference in a way that shows a commitment to a high level of hockey. Simple.

Additionally, while next season’s squad won’t be as good as this season’s arguable best in school history, Hastings and co. have recruited at a very high level consistently, and are much more a reload than a rebuild program at this point.
                        Sounds good. So how about those high level hockey schools schedule ASU? Both have to agree to a schedule. ASU should not have to pay their travel costs to Tempe just like ASU should not require those schools to pay ASU's travel costs. Its a cost of having a college hockey team.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                          I'm a BG alum and live in PHX. I used to play men's league at Oceanside for years and years. I am very familiar with BG/CCHA/WCHA and ASU's program going all the way back to the early ACHA club days. I have seen them play numerous times the last few years, as well as attended numerous BG games, as my parents still live in the Toledo area.

ASU is on the same level as BG, Tech, NMU, BSU talent wise. They have made, or would have made the tourney the last two years, while the mentioned WCHA programs have been on the outside looking in and in general not really all that close to say the 14th spot. I know BSU was in the mix this year, but they were one more loss from being outside the bubble.

So has ASU used their INDY status to their benefit.....I would say yes. Are they "gaming the system"....not sure I would say that.

Look Oceanside is a dump, they've tried to polish it up, but a t*urd is still a t*urd. It's hard to get teams to come out here and play in that hole, much less good teams. They have scheduled the teams that would play them here and have tried to have some decent road series as well....

Now if once they get the new facility up they are still loading up on AH schools.....I would say then, yes they are gaming it.
                          I agree wholeheartedly with you. But after the new facility is up, if teams request ASU to pay for their travel costs and only AH schools are willing to show and pay their own way then I would not say they are gaming it.

Comment

Sounds good. So how about those high level hockey schools schedule ASU? Both have to agree to a schedule. ASU should not have to pay their travel costs to Tempe just like ASU should not require those schools to pay ASU's travel costs. Its a cost of having a college hockey team.
                            Tell that to Huntsville and see what they say.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with you. But after the new facility is up, if teams request ASU to pay for their travel costs and only AH schools are willing to show and pay their own way then I would not say they are gaming it.
                              Without travel subsidies why would a team want to travel to ASU when they can easily fill their schedule with easier and cheaper travel? I see it as established teams doing ASU a favour by helping them schedule games. Any time there is a new kid on the block, I think it's in the best interest for all of college hockey when existing teams agree to play games. But they should not be expected to blow their budget just so a team in the desert can have a home series in a rink that is barely suitable for squirts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                Without travel subsidies why would a team want to travel to ASU when they can easily fill their schedule with easier and cheaper travel? I see it as established teams doing ASU a favour by helping them schedule games. Any time there is a new kid on the block, I think it's in the best interest for all of college hockey when existing teams agree to play games. But they should not be expected to blow their budget just so a team in the desert can have a home series in a rink that is barely suitable for squirts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                Those tickets & hotels to Phoenix in January & February can actually run more than the Alaska trips.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X