Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    I'm not following your thought here. Are you stating that because the big 10 & ASU are highly ranked in recruiting that many of those recruits will leave because they won't get play time? So with UND & WMU being even higher ranked for recruiting your logic suggests that they will lose an even higher percentage of recruits?
    Many of the blue bloods simply have more recruits committed than money/spots available so kids have to decide if they want the walk-on spot vs the scholarship they thought they were getting and decommit to go elsewhere like Jake Harrison did this week, switching from Michigan to Nebraska-Omaha
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I also don't believe anyone is scheduling ASU because they are a big name school. There is only one reason ASU gets scheduled - the weather and something for the alumni in the SW part of the country to do.
      Thanks — that's a lot closer to the truth than what I wrote.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

A major reason that UAH also struggles is the feeble airport facility. Despite having the second-longest runway east of the Mississippi, HSV is choked out by ATL, BNA, and BHM. Huntsville was (apparently, I didn't live here then) one of the ten-busiest airports in the Southeast prior to airline deregulation. We're less than 100 miles from both Nashville and Birmingham, so Southwest won't support us. We got AirTran in to service the airport about six weeks before Southwest announced plans to buy them. Good times.

This means that you're either doing direct flights in smaller jets (mostly from Chicago, Denver, Houston, or Washington) or you're taking regional jets from ATL ... except those jets aren't set up to take a hockey team, attendant staff and coaches, plus the equipment. So you either fly to BNA or ATL and drive either two or three hours, respectively.

I don't know if Tech flies here, but it almost might be faster to bus it. You're either, what, busing to GRB or DTW? That DTW trip has to be a haul. GRB has direct flights to ATL, but they're probably smaller craft ... so you're probably connecting through DTW or MSP. Add up the bus times on the front and back and it's probably 50-50 on time.

[I know that I've said all of the above multiple times.]

The irony is that Huntsville's the main city in the largest metro area in the conference and is getting shut out for reasons that completely make sense, even though I hate them.

GFM
        Last edited by gfmorris; 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM. Reason: I thought the Toledo MSA was bigger. It is not.
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Thanks — that's a lot closer to the truth than what I wrote.

GFM
          I think the third reason is easy flights, Huntsville, despite being a decent sized place has horrible flight service. Well in advance tickets are really expensive compared to most other places I've tried to fly over the years.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I think the third reason is easy flights, Huntsville, despite being a decent sized place has horrible flight service. Well in advance tickets are really expensive compared to most other places I've tried to fly over the years.
            We're generally regarded by business magazines as one of three most expensive airports by average fare price. Some of it is due to what I stated before, and a good chunk of it is because a lot of the flights here are for government fliers (who get a price break but do a lot of travel) and aerospace contractors (who don't care what the flight costs because they get to charge NASA/DoD for it). Such is the fun of having a concentrated community like this.

GFM <— tries to FlyHSV whenever possible, but that usually just means going through ATL on Delta
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

A major reason that UAH also struggles is the feeble airport facility. Despite having the second-longest runway east of the Mississippi, HSV is choked out by ATL, BNA, and BHM. Huntsville was (apparently, I didn't live here then) one of the ten-busiest airports in the Southeast prior to airline deregulation. We're less than 100 miles from both Nashville and Birmingham, so Southwest won't support us. We got AirTran in to service the airport about six weeks before Southwest announced plans to buy them. Good times.

This means that you're either doing direct flights in smaller jets (mostly from Chicago, Denver, Houston, or Washington) or you're taking regional jets from ATL ... except those jets aren't set up to take a hockey team, attendant staff and coaches, plus the equipment. So you either fly to BNA or ATL and drive either two or three hours, respectively.

I don't know if Tech flies here, but it almost might be faster to bus it. You're either, what, busing to GRB or DTW? That DTW trip has to be a haul. GRB has direct flights to ATL, but they're probably smaller craft ... so you're probably connecting through DTW or MSP. Add up the bus times on the front and back and it's probably 50-50 on time.

[I know that I've said all of the above multiple times.]

The irony is that Huntsville's the main city in the largest metro area in the conference and is getting shut out for reasons that completely make sense, even though I hate them.

GFM
              Technically second largest. Bowling Green is part of the Toledo MSA.

But yeah, it’s never been lost on me that two of the largest population centers in the conference (Huntsville and Anchorage) are getting shunned.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Sorry, I conflated MSA with CSA! Ugh.

Toledo MSA (651,429): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_metropolitan_area
                There isn't a CSA that I can find around Toledo, but Northwest Ohio is above 1.6MM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Ohio
                Huntsville MSA (455,458): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsv...ropolitan_area
                Huntsville CSA (774,480): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsv...atistical_Area

I should know better. My late SIL is from Delphos.

GFM <— loves that he had it right, changed it, and ... duh
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Sorry, I conflated MSA with CSA! Ugh.

Toledo MSA (651,429): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_metropolitan_area
                  There isn't a CSA that I can find around Toledo, but Northwest Ohio is above 1.6MM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Ohio
                  Huntsville MSA (455,458): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsv...ropolitan_area
                  Huntsville CSA (774,480): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsv...atistical_Area

I should know better. My late SIL is from Delphos.

GFM <— loves that he had it right, changed it, and ... duh
                  Just for grins...demographic dorks unite! Numbers are MSA’s.

Toledo (Bowling Green): 651,429
                  Huntsville: 462,693
                  Anchorage: 380,821
                  Fairbanks: 97,581
                  Mankato: 96,740
                  Marquette: 67,077

The other four are too small to qualify as a metro area.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Honestly, the easiest and cheapest way is to fly into Nashville and drive 2 hours. plenty of flights then. To me, Bemidji is much harder to get to and Mankato isn't easy either.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Just for grins...demographic dorks unite! Numbers are MSA’s.

Toledo (Bowling Green): 651,429
                      Huntsville: 462,693
                      Anchorage: 380,821
                      Fairbanks: 97,581
                      Mankato: 96,740
                      Marquette: 67,077

The other four are too small to qualify as a metro area.
                      Depends if you consider the Twin Saults as one metro area. Soo Canada is just short of 80,000 by itself, and Soo Michigan's population would push you towards 95,000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Honestly, the easiest and cheapest way is to fly into Nashville and drive 2 hours. plenty of flights then. To me, Bemidji is much harder to get to and Mankato isn't easy either.
                        It depends on where you are. If you're in a market that Southwest serves, that's absolutely the case. If you have to fly one of the legacy carriers, you're going through ATL, HOU, or DFW.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Many of the blue bloods simply have more recruits committed than money/spots available so kids have to decide if they want the walk-on spot vs the scholarship they thought they were getting and decommit to go elsewhere like Jake Harrison did this week, switching from Michigan to Nebraska-Omaha
                          You are kind of implying that the non-B1G & non-ASU teams will get the hand-me-downs.......But being those teams do great, must be great coaching & teamwork?
                          Last edited by Sol Diablo; 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            NMU flew Marquette-Chicago O’Hare-Nashville, Occasionally Marquette-Chicago-Birmingham. Have flown into & out of HSV without too much trouble as well. The problems have been because of weather up north.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                              You are kind of implying that the non-B1G & non-ASU teams will get the hand-me-downs.......But being those teams do great, must be great coaching & teamwork?
                              I never said all the recruits are hand-me-downs. The Big Ten Schools are notorious for recruiting way more than they need and as soon as the kid takes a step back in development cutting bait and moving on to some late bloomer. The reason it works because every kid (much like our current non-hockey situation) doesn't think it will happen to them. It does though. It would probably be a bigger deal to recruits if when Michigan, Wisconsin, etc is no longer interested they can't find an offer but since there is a reason those schools wanted them in the first place there is usually a team like CC, MTU, WMU, UML, etc that will make a offer.

Comment

I never said all the recruits are hand-me-downs. The Big Ten Schools are notorious for recruiting way more than they need and as soon as the kid takes a step back in development cutting bait and moving on to some late bloomer. The reason it works because every kid (much like our current non-hockey situation) doesn't think it will happen to them. It does though. It would probably be a bigger deal to recruits if when Michigan, Wisconsin, etc is no longer interested they can't find an offer but since there is a reason those schools wanted them in the first place there is usually a team like CC, MTU, WMU, UML, etc that will make a offer.
                                it's another fallacy that players get better coaching or more visibility at a name school. Honestly, that's totally false. they don't even get better facilities. On a smaller campus, everyone knows who they are and they get the royal treatment everywhere they go, on a big school, they are nameless, faceless students. Scouts know them no matter where they play.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X