WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    I was fairly underwhelmed by Mankato. Curious what you like about it?
    Sight lines were good. Press box had one of the better locations and setups in the league. Concessions were very good. Home team’s facilities are outstanding and the visitors room is among the top in the league. Game night atmosphere was pretty good too. Now, add in it’s location in the middle of downtown, with tons of places to pregame & postgame, and you have a winner. And that was the 2nd weekend of February.
    Last edited by davyd83; 04-02-2020, 02:53 PM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Sight lines were good. Press box had one of the better locations and setups in the league. Concessions were very good. Home team’s facilities are outstanding and the visitors room is among the top in the league. Game night atmosphere was pretty good too. Now, add in it’s location in the middle of downtown, with tons of places to pregame & postgame, and you have a winner. And that was the 2nd weekend of February.
      Admittedly, I was there once, about 7 years ago. But new seats wouldn't change the shallow rake of the bowl. Im surprised you like the "press box" setup, unless that's changed too. I sat basically in the stands while technically "in" the press box. I'm not saying it's a bad rink. Clearly, its top 2 with Bemidji. But i expected more. Better.
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

But when you stand up in the press box can you touch the ceiling? No? That’s what I thought. ;-)

Comment

Admittedly, I was there once, about 7 years ago. But new seats wouldn't change the shallow rake of the bowl. Im surprised you like the "press box" setup, unless that's changed too. I sat basically in the stands while technically "in" the press box. I'm not saying it's a bad rink. Clearly, its top 2 with Bemidji. But i expected more. Better.
          Press boxes are still in the same spot.

I mean, I think the higher expectation is due to the recent(5-7 years) success of the program, in which time they’ve made major upgrades, most importantly in areas that help recruiting with the players lounge, weight room, locker room, etc.

It’s a city owned multi use Civic Center, and prior to Mike Hastings arriving, the University never truly committed to hockey, which meant the city never really felt it needed to.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
            Good to see you are consistent at bashing ASU.....
            Am I bashing ASU Hockey or am I just stating facts that don't reflect well on the program? Can you honestly say that ASU is treating the hockey team like a D-I sport? If I am making statements that are not true, that is a whole different story. If that is the case, then I'll certainly backtrack and correct my statements. However...
            • When I say that most HS teams in MN play in a better rink, that is fact.
            • When I say that the ASU press box has expanded metal screen for a floor and has a water main running through it, that is fact.
            • When I say that ASU plays their beat box mix CD between plays more often than the Michigan alumni band plays "Hail", that is fact.
            • When I say that ASU hockey has concluded their FIFTH season as a D-I team and STILL hasn't so much as put a shovel in the ground for a new rink, that is fact.
            • Feel free to insert whatever else I've said here...

As someone who travels a fair amount to watch hockey, I've attending four ASU home games since the team went D-I. I would say there is a very good chance that I've attended more ASU home games than 99% of the current student body and local residents. I'm not just making these statements based on what others say or what I've read. I've been there and seen it first hand. If I was a fan of ASU hockey, I would be livid with the administration and the athletics department with the way they are handling the hockey program. Any yes, I get it, hockey is not the #1 sport on the ASU campus like is is for many other D-I hockey programs. Hockey likely isn't even in the top ten on the ASU athletic department's priority list.

My point is that they never should have taken the program to D-I status without a solid plan in place. Five years later they are still trying to figure out what they are doing and creating a plan for the team on the fly. If my pointing that out, doesn't look good for the team, is that really on me or is it on ASU to get it in gear and treat the team like a real D-I program? If you drive up to a car show in a rusted out Fort Pinto, am I really supposed to compliment you on your beautiful car and tell you how amazing it is just because you made the effort to show up and participate?

And yes, I've done my part to support ASU hockey as well, I'm not just bashing them. Nothing would please me more than to see ALL teams succeeding with college hockey strong and growing.

Garrett Peterson - Inaugural D-I Season
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Am I bashing ASU Hockey or am I just stating facts that don't reflect well on the program? Can you honestly say that ASU is treating the hockey team like a D-I sport? If I am making statements that are not true, that is a whole different story. If that is the case, then I'll certainly backtrack and correct my statements. However...
              • When I say that most HS teams in MN play in a better rink, that is fact.
              • When I say that the ASU press box has expanded metal screen for a floor and has a water main running through it, that is fact.
              • When I say that ASU plays their beat box mix CD between plays more often than the Michigan alumni band plays "Hail", that is fact.
              • When I say that ASU hockey has concluded their FIFTH season as a D-I team and STILL hasn't so much as put a shovel in the ground for a new rink, that is fact.
              • Feel free to insert whatever else I've said here...

As someone who travels a fair amount to watch hockey, I've attending four ASU home games since the team went D-I. I would say there is a very good chance that I've attended more ASU home games than 99% of the current student body and local residents. I'm not just making these statements based on what others say or what I've read. I've been there and seen it first hand. If I was a fan of ASU hockey, I would be livid with the administration and the athletics department with the way they are handling the hockey program. Any yes, I get it, hockey is not the #1 sport on the ASU campus like is is for many other D-I hockey programs. Hockey likely isn't even in the top ten on the ASU athletic department's priority list.

My point is that they never should have taken the program to D-I status without a solid plan in place. Five years later they are still trying to figure out what they are doing and creating a plan for the team on the fly. If my pointing that out, doesn't look good for the team, is that really on me or is it on ASU to get it in gear and treat the team like a real D-I program? If you drive up to a car show in a rusted out Fort Pinto, am I really supposed to compliment you on your beautiful car and tell you how amazing it is just because you made the effort to show up and participate?

And yes, I've done my part to support ASU hockey as well, I'm not just bashing them. Nothing would please me more than to see ALL teams succeeding with college hockey strong and growing.

Garrett Peterson - Inaugural D-I Season
              I agree with your bullet points.
              I disagree with your paragraphs. You are not keeping up with the plans, but that is ok as they are not being made highly public.
              I do notice that on many topics concerning many teams you appear to either have a grudge or a highly negative approach about the conversations. You display it by driving a point to the nth degree. You're beating dead horses over and over.
              I am just stating my perception of your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                You display it by driving a point to the nth degree. You're beating dead horses over and over.
                I am just stating my perception of your comments.
                He went to Tech. It is the way of his people.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  But when you stand up in the press box can you touch the ceiling? No? That’s what I thought. ;-)
                  The Madhouse in Mercer is among the finest college rinks I can touch the ceiling at. And the group of BG fans that sit in front of me are terrific.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Press boxes are still in the same spot.

I mean, I think the higher expectation is due to the recent(5-7 years) success of the program, in which time they’ve made major upgrades, most importantly in areas that help recruiting with the players lounge, weight room, locker room, etc.

It’s a city owned multi use Civic Center, and prior to Mike Hastings arriving, the University never truly committed to hockey, which meant the city never really felt it needed to.
                    Yes. I think the city was looking for something to breath life back into downtown. If memory serves me wasn't the Civic Center built before MnSU went D1 in hockey?

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                      Yes. I think the city was looking for something to breath life back into downtown. If memory serves me wasn't the Civic Center built before MnSU went D1 in hockey?
                      It was voted on in '92 & opened in '95. Mankato's first DI season was '96-'97

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

Will the WCHA schedules for 2020-21 come out in early-mid May or will it be later because of the coronavirus pandemic?
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Will the WCHA schedules for 2020-21 come out in early-mid May or will it be later because of the coronavirus pandemic?
                          It hasn’t been announced.

Comment

It hasn’t been announced.
                            I highly doubt we hear anything any time soon...
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              I highly doubt we hear anything any time soon...
                              Supposedly, the NCHC is announcing their schedule on Wednesday.

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

Supposedly, the NCHC is announcing their schedule on Wednesday.
                                well thats great but I wouldn't want to get fan's hopes up, planning trips, etc until I had a better idea if a season is actually going to happen
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X