WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

I am so, so sorry to see the news Geof. This is terrible news. I wanted all the WCHA schools to make it though this and another realignment successfully.

This really, really blows.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Really sad to hear this. Best of luck to their coaches and players.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

This is such depressing news. So sad for the players and the fans.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Multiple people have told me that the University will have a press conference this afternoon to blame COVID-19 (presumably funding shortfalls and increased costs) for the inability to field men's ice hockey.

It's time. The program has been dead for a couple of years now. Let it go. The headwinds are just too strong.

GFM
          My condolences, terrible news for the UAH players, coaches and fans. It seems like the program just couldn't catch a break. I enjoyed my trips to Huntsville in the past and was hoping to make my third trip for the Lowell series. The best of luck to the coaches and players going forward. A sad day for College Hockey.

Comment

It was time. I will not be participating in any of the "bring it back" groups. I do not have the time or energy to expend that I did in 2011.

I know that a lot of people — a lot of people — are really upset here. I'm only upset for the young men who agreed to make the trek to Alabama to play hockey and go to school and our coaches.

You can chuck all the spears that you want at the school. I get it. But at the end of the day, we as a fan base did not show enough interest in giving and attendance to the games. I point a finger at myself: I haven't given to the school in five years, and because of extensive weekend work commitments, I haven't been at a game in two full seasons. That may be why I'm not as upset about this as many folks are.

The school may have heard from the nCCHA schools that they weren't going to get in. "But Atlan—" UAH WAS NEVER GETTING INTO ATLANTIC HOCKEY. Ever. Ever. It was nCCHA or bust. Even though we can all chuck spears at LSSU and FSU —*and the other five schools need to think long and hard about expansion on almost any corner, because those two small, public schools could be reamed by pandemic stuff just like UAH was — the money just wasn't there.

Blame EJ Brophy. Blame Bob Altenkirch retiring (he would have canceled the program in this space). Blame Mack Portera. Blame the boosters for running Doug Ross off. Blame the VBC and the Havoc and whoever.

Downtown got better. UAH Hockey got way worse.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

GFM <— signing off for a while, perhaps forever.
            Last edited by gfmorris; 05-22-2020, 10:40 PM.
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

It was time. I will not be participating in any of the "bring it back" groups. I do not have the time or energy to expend that I did in 2011.

I know that a lot of people — a lot of people — are really upset here. I'm only upset for the young men who agreed to make the trek to Alabama to play hockey and go to school and our coaches.

You can chuck all the spears that you want at the school. I get it. But at the end of the day, we as a fan base did not show enough interest in giving and attendance to the games. I point a finger at myself: I haven't given to the school in five years, and because of extensive weekend work commitments, I haven't been at a game in two full seasons. That may be why I'm not as upset about this as many folks are.

The school may have heard from the nCCHA schools that they weren't going to get in. "But Atlan—" UAH WAS NEVER GETTING INTO ATLANTIC HOCKEY. Ever. Ever. It was nCCHA or bust. Even though we can all chuck spears at LSSU and FSU —*and the other five schools need to think long and hard about expansion on almost any corner, because those two small, public schools could be reamed by pandemic stuff just like UAH was — the money just wasn't there.

Blame EJ Brophy. Blame Bob Altenkirch retiring (he would have canceled the program in this space). Blame Mack Portera. Blame the boosters for running Doug Ross off. Blame the VBC and the Havoc and whoever.

Downtown got better. UAH Hockey got way worse.

With rumors still circulating from CHN about more schools closing up shop, my ******* could cut a diamond in half as a Laker fan.

And sorry to hear about the program, Geof. I always enjoyed watching the Chargers come to town, even if they were a bit scrappy the last few years, and ya'll produced one of my favorite non-Laker players. If this is your final sendoff, then thank you for all you've done here on the forums (and off) over the years. Your posts have been some of the most insightful - period.
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                With rumors still circulating from CHN about more schools closing up shop, my ******* could cut a diamond in half as a Laker fan.

And sorry to hear about the program, Geof. I always enjoyed watching the Chargers come to town, even if they were a bit scrappy the last few years, and ya'll produced one of my favorite non-Laker players. If this is your final sendoff, then thank you for all you've done here on the forums (and off) over the years. Your posts have been some of the most insightful - period.
                I wouldn’t say it’s likely, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that the WCHA implodes a year ahead of schedule.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  I wouldn’t say it’s likely, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that the WCHA implodes a year ahead of schedule.
                  There has to be pretty big concerns over UAA, UAF, LSSU, and FSU right now...and thats just in the existing WCHA.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    There has to be pretty big concerns over UAA, UAF, LSSU, and FSU right now...and thats just in the existing WCHA.
                    Thought I read something on these boards a few years back that Ferris did some sort of fundraising and ended up with enough cash to keep things going. Is this right? Is this half or 1/4 right? Zero right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I guess I just don’t see the sports problem with LSSU. Lake State doesn’t have football so hockey doesn’t depend on football revenue to exist. Basketball also does little there. Its athletics budget is smaller, but they don’t have the worries some other programs would have losing revenue on other sports. Lake State hockey is the money-maker there and if fans are allowed by the time hockey comes around, the program will be OK I would imagine. Plus they are losing at least one flight now not having UAH on the schedule so that actually saves them money.

The worry at Lake State is more about enrollment than anything else. It’s much smaller than the school would want, and with the Canadian border closed that is alarming since they pull students from the larger Canadian Soo.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        That and the Corona Cancelled H A could be gutshot before they pretent to start the buses.
                        Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 05-23-2020, 09:55 PM.
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                          Thought I read something on these boards a few years back that Ferris did some sort of fundraising and ended up with enough cash to keep things going. Is this right? Is this half or 1/4 right? Zero right?
                          I understand UAH did such about 10 years back & saved their program but had not heard such about Ferris.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                            I guess I just don’t see the sports problem with LSSU. Lake State doesn’t have football so hockey doesn’t depend on football revenue to exist. Basketball also does little there. Its athletics budget is smaller, but they don’t have the worries some other programs would have losing revenue on other sports. Lake State hockey is the money-maker there and if fans are allowed by the time hockey comes around, the program will be OK I would imagine. Plus they are losing at least one flight now not having UAH on the schedule so that actually saves them money.

The worry at Lake State is more about enrollment than anything else. It’s much smaller than the school would want, and with the Canadian border closed that is alarming since they pull students from the larger Canadian Soo.
                            The school itself has had it's fair share of budget concerns over the last few years. Enrollment has been declining, a number of layoffs and 'reorganizing' has been going on, and outside of the season before last, the team hasn't exactly been steller, though somehow attendance numbers have increased.

I'm sure we're not out of the woods yet, but I'm not as concerned as I'm sure the Alaska school supporters are. I did, however, email Dr. Paitson to see if there was any possibility, in light of the UAH closure, to see if the department, or the school, would be willing to issue a statement concerning the program.

That's not to say they can't go back on it - I mean, the Chargers were introducing their freshman a couple weeks ago on social media, but at least it would help us fans feel a little better.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                              The school itself has had it's fair share of budget concerns over the last few years. Enrollment has been declining, a number of layoffs and 'reorganizing' has been going on, and outside of the season before last, the team hasn't exactly been steller, though somehow attendance numbers have increased.

I'm sure we're not out of the woods yet, but I'm not as concerned as I'm sure the Alaska school supporters are. I did, however, email Dr. Paitson to see if there was any possibility, in light of the UAH closure, to see if the department, or the school, would be willing to issue a statement concerning the program.

That's not to say they can't go back on it - I mean, the Chargers were introducing their freshman a couple weeks ago on social media, but at least it would help us fans feel a little better.
                              I wouldn’t worry about the hockey program unless fans aren’t allowed when hockey starts up. Bill Crawford was asked about the health of Laker Hockey just a few months ago by the CHN guys and he said it was fine. Granted that was before this situation, but the Lakers’ athletic program isn’t having trouble from any accounts.

The worry, like you mentioned, has been on the university side. They need to attract more students.

Comment

Hope it isn't forever. Your insightful posts and perspective would be missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X