Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    it's another fallacy that players get better coaching or more visibility at a name school. Honestly, that's totally false. they don't even get better facilities. On a smaller campus, everyone knows who they are and they get the royal treatment everywhere they go, on a big school, they are nameless, faceless students. Scouts know them no matter where they play.
    Case and point, ask the average Houghton area resident/MTU student to name a current Tech hockey player. I bet you most could.

Ask the average Columbus area resident/OSU student to name a current hockey player. Most will ask if OSU even has a hockey team. If you ask them where they play, they will have no idea.

Comment

it's another fallacy that players get better coaching or more visibility at a name school. Honestly, that's totally false. they don't even get better facilities. On a smaller campus, everyone knows who they are and they get the royal treatment everywhere they go, on a big school, they are nameless, faceless students. Scouts know them no matter where they play.
      I mostly agree with you, good points. I disagree concerning facilities. ASU may have a pretty lousy rink, but the abundance of outdoor swimming pools in use during the winter for the students and athletes has got to beat most every other hockey school!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        Case and point, ask the average Houghton area resident/MTU student to name a current Tech hockey player. I bet you most could.

Ask the average Columbus area resident/OSU student to name a current hockey player. Most will ask if OSU even has a hockey team. If you ask them where they play, they will have no idea.
        As an average Columbus area resident I can attest that not only is the above statement true, most will be dumbfounded to learn Columbus has an NHL team.

Comment

When you combine the facilities for fans and for players, 6 of the ten WCHA rinks would automatically be the bottom of the Big Ten, and only Western would be comparable to them in the NCHC. As far as exposure, how does the Big Ten Network compare to FloHockey for the fans, and which has more rinks in close proximity to where scouts congregate?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            When you combine the facilities for fans and for players, 6 of the ten WCHA rinks would automatically be the bottom of the Big Ten, and only Western would be comparable to them in the NCHC. As far as exposure, how does the Big Ten Network compare to FloHockey for the fans, and which has more rinks in close proximity to where scouts congregate?
            Please put them all in the mix. Make a rubric breaking things down and look forward to responses
            Last edited by giwan; 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Please put them all in the mix. Make a rubric breaking things down and look forward to responses
              Here’s my top 5 for the NCHA, WCHA & CCHA
              (To avoid any claims of bias, I’ve excluded NMU from the rankings)
              Total Arenas Visited All Time 23/24
              Visited This Season All WCHA except Bemidji & Anchorage + BU & Cornell

5 UMD Amsoil Arena
              4 Notre Dame: Compton Family Arena
              3 Omaha: Baxter Arena
              2 Penn State: Pegula Arena
              1 North Dakota: Ralph Englestad Arena

WCHA
              3 Michigan Tech: John J MacInnes Student Ice Arena
              2 Bemidji State: Sanford Center
              1 Minnesota State: Mayo Clinic Health Systems Event Center

Best Arena Visited This Year
              1 Boston U: Agganis Arena
              Last edited by davyd83; 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

5 UMD Amsoil Arena

WCHA

I was fairly underwhelmed by Mankato. Curious what you like about it?
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  When’s the last time you’ve visited?
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    When’s the last time you’ve visited?
                    I, like Moose97, was fairly underwhelmed with the rink too. But that was about 7-8 years ago and it was a quick visit (almost missed the faceoff) for just the game so I didn't check out the building too much. If I remember correctly, I thought the ice sheet didn't fit well within the stands. Like a lot of room between the boards and the first row? And the bowl was shallow so you felt away from the action? Is it a multi-use building? I seem to remember thinking hockey wasn't the primary purpose for the building. I definitely need to go back and check out the building first hand. I intended to go this year, but the **** virus made me change my plans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      I, like Moose97, was fairly underwhelmed with the rink too. But that was about 7-8 years ago and it was a quick visit (almost missed the faceoff) for just the game so I didn't check out the building too much. If I remember correctly, I thought the ice sheet didn't fit well within the stands. Like a lot of room between the boards and the first row? And the bowl was shallow so you felt away from the action? Is it a multi-use building? I seem to remember thinking hockey wasn't the primary purpose for the building. I definitely need to go back and check out the building first hand. I intended to go this year, but the **** virus made me change my plans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                      It is a multi use Arena, however it has been remodeled quite a bit to accommodate Hockey more than anything.

New purple seats went in a few years ago, a new video scoreboard hanging at center ice really brought the arena to a new level. Additionally a new cooling system and boards were put in a few years ago. The locker rooms, players lounge, weight room, and training facilities are all top notch since the remodel, but as a fan you wouldn’t see those.

I don’t think the arena itself is anything special, but the atmosphere is great, IMO. Great proximity to many restaurants and bars downtown, (relative to events) cheap beer and drinks, sellouts for games like UAA and UAH(with all due respect), MSU has done a good job shifting its mindset to make the hockey program the front porch to the university, and the gameday atmosphere has grown into something great since they brought Hastings in.
                      Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-02-2020, 11:37 AM.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        Biggest plus at MN State - Hotel right across the road, easy accommodations. Just walk everywhere once you get parked at the hotel. (Hilton Garden Inn if I remember correctly.)
                        Biggest drawback - It just looks like a lot of other rinks, shallow bowl so the seats are back away from the ice.
                        Overall I give it a 6.5 score.

Could have been higher, but as a former band member, I applied a 1 pt deduction for having the pep band mic'd and run through the PA system. C'mon - If you have to mic a band, how peppy are they? If you have to mic the band, might as well just cue up a dance beats CD like ASU does at every stoppage of play. I've never heard someone trying so hard to burn a groove in a CD as whoever runs the show down there. They could barely get through a period before you heard the same beats again. Get an mp3 player, load 500 tracks on it and set it to random. You'll be good for the entire season if pop music between plays is your thing.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Biggest plus at MN State - Hotel right across the road, easy accommodations. Just walk everywhere once you get parked at the hotel. (Hilton Garden Inn if I remember correctly.)
                          Biggest drawback - It just looks like a lot of other rinks, shallow bowl so the seats are back away from the ice.

Could have been higher, but as a former band member, I applied a 1 pt deduction for having the pep band mic'd and run through the PA system. C'mon - If you have to mic a band, how peppy are they? If you have to mic the band, might as well just cue up a dance beats CD like ASU does at every stoppage of play. I've never heard someone trying so hard to burn a groove in a CD as whoever runs the show down there. They could barely get through a period before you heard the same beats again. Get an mp3 player, load 500 tracks on it and set it to random. You'll be good for the entire season if pop music between plays is your thing.
                          If you had seen the band 3, 4, 5+ years ago, you’d be amazed how far they’ve come in actually adding to the atmosphere rather than being BRUTAL.

Those kids in the band know the game, care, are regularly cheering, etc. they used to be bad at making music and yell **** as their cheer.

They’ve immensely helped the student section engagement as well.
                          AF 99

Comment

5 UMD Amsoil Arena

WCHA

You could include NMU wouldn't hit the top 3.

Been to Ralph, Pegula, Amsoil, MN St and Mich Tech.

Ralph hard to touch, Peg is new well planned, though not the location. Amsoil is nice but overrated, has some obstructed view seats which is hard to make happen in this day and age. Like others not sure about the MN St but maybe with updates it is improved. MTU has great atmosphere and considering how old that rink is in incredible shape.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Good to see you are consistent at bashing ASU.....

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                You could include NMU wouldn't hit the top 3.

Been to Ralph, Pegula, Amsoil, MN St and Mich Tech.

Ralph hard to touch, Peg is new well planned, though not the location. Amsoil is nice but overrated, has some obstructed view seats which is hard to make happen in this day and age. Like others not sure about the MN St but maybe with updates it is improved. MTU has great atmosphere and considering how old that rink is in incredible shape.
                                If I was picking arena's to go see games at my number 1 pick would be the whale at Yale University. I think atmosphere counts for a lot also and I like educated fans. At PSU the fans are not educated and at Agganis no one shows up.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X