X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Or maybe people don't enjoy that stuff so they read other books. You couldn't pay me to read a book by Hemingway or attempt to read Catcher in the Rye again but that doesn't make me uneducated or "common" it means I read stuff that is enjoyable not petulant, misogynistic, self indulgent crap

You are an elitist because you think people who don't like what you like or choose a path you didn't want to take makes them beneath you. Oh and because you like to pretend your Suny-Hipster diploma matters to anyone.

(tongue firmly in cheek for second part )
    Books, and movies, and paintings....art. It's up to the viewer/reader to decide what is good. One person's treasure is another's trash. Yes, I reversed that on purpose.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      And it's never occurred to you that you can read books all on your own?

Jesus f-ck, if reading is what you people mean by elitist then save me from the common man. It's like watching pigs at the trough.
      Good Lord. Take a deep breath. Inhale...exhale. I read plenty on my own. I didn't read those 5 particular books because I didn't have to and really never wanted to. I was always a math/science person and didn't like English/Language Arts. I took composition and writing stuff since I figured it would serve me better than reading more Shakespeare. You are getting way too worked up over this.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Remember when some schools banned The Egypt Game because of the attack near the end? Or because it supposedly promoted paganism?
        Nope. Missed that one. Was it a young adult novel or something?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

More Cuomo fun!! This time smacking-around turtle boy...

Link to Yahoo News story (Check-out the CBS News tweet/video in that story. Tried to embed it here, but I failed.)

"NY puts in to that federal pot $116B more than we take out ... KY takes out $148B more than they put in... Sen. McConnell, who's getting bailed out here? It's your state that is living on the money that we generate"

Cheers!!!
          ~TTF
          Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 04-24-2020, 07:35 AM. Reason: Tried to embed CBS News tweet... failed. :(
          Dave
          RIT - '90

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Meh, haven't read a single one of those...
            Wha???
            Flyboy hasn’t read catch 22?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Im late to the party but why would Gatsby be considered bannable? Ive read it only because its like 5 pages long. Don't recall anything that bad.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                Im late to the party but why would Gatsby be considered bannable? Ive read it only because its like 5 pages long. Don't recall anything that bad.
                People were getting hyped up that we were gonna go through the Roaring 20's II in modern times .
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Gatsby sucked arse.
                  Hush!!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Or maybe people don't enjoy that stuff so they read other books. You couldn't pay me to read a book by Hemingway or attempt to read Catcher in the Rye again but that doesn't make me uneducated or "common" it means I read stuff that is enjoyable not petulant, misogynistic, self indulgent crap

You are an elitist because you think people who don't like what you like or choose a path you didn't want to take makes them beneath you. Oh and because you like to pretend your Suny-Hipster diploma matters to anyone.

(tongue firmly in cheek for second part )
                    It might just be that we hit a particular nerve with Kep, with the inclusion of Gatsby on the list. Wasn't he a Long Islander at some point? Probably spent many a night staring out over the water imagining he was one of those boats borne back ceaselessly into the past. Or, maybe just pining over some Daisy in his school.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        As usual every Republican is either a ****ing moron on this issue or just a plain old dirty thief. Either way they're pure scumbags.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I prefer non-fiction. I've read books on other religions, as a past-time. If it's fiction? Nah. I'll save that for the movies.
                          Movies are an easier, more passive experience. But comparing the value of movies to good nonfiction (distinguishing between a Michael Connelly novel, as fun as many of them are, and Native Son, for instance) is a little bit like comparing the understanding of a place which you get from a bus tour to that which you would get from living there. There are high quality bus tours, and there are good reasons why a person would choose to go that route under certain circumstances, but they are a brief, passive experience at best.

I understand you are just saying you get more enjoyment out of movies than you do from nonfiction books, not that one has intrinsically more value than the other, Rube. But I throw those thoughts out there because we are talking about the value to our children of the books being banned.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            It might just be that we hit a particular nerve with Kep, with the inclusion of Gatsby on the list. Wasn't he a Long Islander at some point? Probably spent many a night staring out over the water imagining he was one of those boats borne back ceaselessly into the past. Or, maybe just pining over some Daisy in his school.
                            Well played, Hovey.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Give it some time for the virus to fully visit the South. We'll hear the squealing for help from the North.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Good Lord. Take a deep breath. Inhale...exhale. I read plenty on my own. I didn't read those 5 particular books because I didn't have to and really never wanted to. I was always a math/science person and didn't like English/Language Arts. I took composition and writing stuff since I figured it would serve me better than reading more Shakespeare. You are getting way too worked up over this.
                                I gotta side with Kepler to the extent that there's value in having a base knowledge of the great works. Obviously no one has time to take in everything or even a fraction of everything, but seemingly taking pride in not having read them reeks of MAGAism. And your post absolutely came across that way, whether you meant it or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X