X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Where We Wish Texas Would Secede Already

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    And the Nazi symbol never represented anything else but white power and bigotry.

Symbols change with time, on occasion.
    Good point. I forgot about all of the groups that used the Confederate Battle Flag design before they co-opted it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Good point. I forgot about all of the groups that used the Confederate Battle Flag design before they co-opted it.
      Heh. What I'm saying is, it started as something bad, and many tried to change its status to "simple southern living." They tried to flip the bit. They weren't racist. Just represented where they came from and their casual lifestyle.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Heh. What I'm saying is, it started as something bad, and many tried to change its status to "simple southern living." They tried to flip the bit. They weren't racist. Just represented where they came from and their casual lifestyle.
        You know, sweet tea. Front porch sittin'. Biscuits and gravy. Lighting crosses on fire in front yards. Good Southern livin'.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          You know, sweet tea. Front porch sittin'. Biscuits and gravy. Lighting crosses on fire in front yards. Good Southern livin'.

****, I really don’t get why I can’t buy flip flops adorned in swastikas at Target. My casual living shoes

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

If any of you watched Dukes Of Hazzard, you'd get why I'm taking a stance on this particular thing with this particular show.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I get that for some it's about heritage, but it's a heritage of losers.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Speaking of losers...I peeked at siouxsports.com after someone made a comment about it. Just...wow. Now I know where all the Proud Boys gather.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  It's not even that. It's a regional badge to the Dukes. It's a representation of where that are from. Honestly, it's like us loving hockey because we're from MN (or Canada ) or Philly and their cheesesteaks. To the Dukes, it was that meaningless yet that representative. They had no intention of it being a racist symbol. It was simply, "We're southern folk." That's. It.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    If any of you watched Dukes Of Hazzard, you'd get why I'm taking a stance on this particular thing with this particular show.
                    I grew up on reruns of that show on TNN.

I still can't believe that's the hill you choose to keep dying on.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

There wasn't a racist bone in their body. They had morals in their episodes, and taught good manners, humanity, etc. That's why.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

It is one of the dumbest hills I’ve ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          It is one of the dumbest hills I’ve ever seen
                          It is a TV show.

Related: still waiting to hear the outrage on Three's Company on the LGBTQ angle. IMO, that show was WAY worse on social issues pertaining to this day.

Comment

Rube, you're not racist for liking The Dukes of Hazard. You just don't give a sh-t that The Dukes of Hazard used a racist symbol of hatred -- the American swastika - because it didn't hurt you. Something that doesn't hurt you doesn't matter to you. You're not a racist, you're just selfish.

We get it. You don't need to keep wriggling.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Rube, you're not racist for liking The Dukes of Hazard. You just don't give a sh-t that The Dukes of Hazard used a racist symbol of hatred -- the American swastika - because it didn't hurt you. Something that doesn't hurt you doesn't matter to you. You're not a racist, you're just selfish.

We get it. You don't need to keep wriggling.
                              Nah, nah, nah. They used the symbol in a NON-racist way, just like the f*ing (pardon my language) Nazis used a good symbol in a bad way. That's my point. We can't change symbols from bad to good, only good to bad? Bullsh*. That is pure bullsh*.

Now, I agree that some still use that symbol/flag in a bad way, and f them. Wholeheartedly.

Comment

I'll amend my statement: you're not selfish, that's not fair and I apologize and withdraw the ad hom. You're not a bad person, I know that from our many talks. But in this case I think you're being oblivious. A rube, as it were.

If a majority of black people said that confederate symbols were racist in any context, would you change your mind?

"Don't believe everything you think." Just because an opinion seems reasonable to you should not in principle prevent you from detecting your own bias and saying, "self, you're being a fool, cut it out." One self-check is to look around at the people who hold the same opinion. If they are really, really bad people, that's not dispositive, but it is a sign.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-04-2020, 11:56 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X