Sexual Abuse by Former College & Youth Hockey Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual Abuse by Former College & Youth Hockey Coach

Has anyone read a column which was written by Katie Strang from a publication called the Athletic? The column focuses on years of sexual abuse performed by a former Illinois youth hockey and collegiate coach named Tom Chico Adrahtas. Adrahtas was an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota in the early 1980s. Yesterday, the University of Minnesota responded to the article. It is astonishing that add he was able to coach over 40 years and only now have these allegations become public. It is very difficult to understand why his behavior was covered up for so many years.
    Last edited by collegehockeyfan1; 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM.

Re: Sexual Abuse by Former College & Youth Hockey Coach

In a world where Penn State exists how does anyone wonder why his behavior was covered up?

Comment

Originally posted by Quasi Hatrack View Post
      In a world where Penn State exists how does anyone wonder why his behavior was covered up?
      Do you really want to start this conversation? Feel free to do research not done by ESPN or the NCAA.... Jerry Sandusky was not an employee of Penn State (and hadn't been for years) when he was abusing those boys. None of his convictions involve any activity associated or as a representative of Penn State. (read carefully - he was acquitted of the charges that supposedly occurred on Penn State's campus). The NCAA was forced to overturn its own sanctions when the "investigation" was found to be so shoddy that none of the allegations involving Penn State could be substantiated.

Notice very carefully this is in no way a defense of Jerry Sandusky, who should rightly rot in a jail cell first and then in hell. After leaving Penn State, he started his own charity in order to attract and groom victims. Second Mile is the name of the "charity" if you want to do some real research. The Penn State angle was very lazy and clickbait reporting by ESPN and other news outlets.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by collegehockeyfan1 View Post
        Has anyone read a column which was written by Katie Strang from a publication called the Athletic? The column focuses on years of sexual abuse performed by a former Illinois youth hockey and collegiate coach named Tom Chico Adrahtas. Adrahtas was an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota in the early 1980s. Yesterday, the University of Minnesota responded to the article. It is astonishing that add he was able to coach over 40 years and only now have these allegations become public. It is very difficult to understand why his behavior was covered up for so many years.
        Have you not followed the Michigan State doctor and the USA Gymnastics abuse?

Not to mention the Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts of America?

And how about the Ohio State wrestling team abuse which is just coming out now?
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Do you really want to start this conversation? Feel free to do research not done by ESPN or the NCAA.... Jerry Sandusky was not an employee of Penn State (and hadn't been for years) when he was abusing those boys. None of his convictions involve any activity associated or as a representative of Penn State. (read carefully - he was acquitted of the charges that supposedly occurred on Penn State's campus). The NCAA was forced to overturn its own sanctions when the "investigation" was found to be so shoddy that none of the allegations involving Penn State could be substantiated.
          I'll bite. Sandusky maintained an office at Penn State even if he wasn't a coach anymore and had access to all the facilities. The unforgettable alleged behavior that McQueary (the red head coach) witnessed was all alleged to happen in a Penn State locker room. McQueary told Paterno and others in the administration but Sandusky didn't face any serious repercussions. Whether or not there was enough evidence to convict on this charge I don't know or really care. I know what I believe. How is it possible to know any of the above and think that things were on the up and up at Penn State? You would have to be in complete denial.
          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
            I'll bite. Sandusky maintained an office at Penn State even if he wasn't a coach anymore and had access to all the facilities. The unforgettable alleged behavior that McQueary (the red head coach) witnessed was all alleged to happen in a Penn State locker room. McQueary told Paterno and others in the administration but Sandusky didn't face any serious repercussions. Whether or not there was enough evidence to convict on this charge I don't know or really care. I know what I believe. How is it possible to know any of the above and think that things were on the up and up at Penn State? You would have to be in complete denial.
            Bite away.... while he had access to facilities, he did not, to my knowledge maintain an office on campus. As for the McQueary shower incident, the night it allegedly happened, he was so outraged that he did absolutely nothing to stop it. This 30 year old man went home to his father, who was being visited by a physician friend, and told them what he saw. His father was so incensed about what he heard that he told his son he should talk about it with his boss the next morning. McQueary's story changed (almost daily) including not even being sure what year it happened. That, combined with the state of Pennsylvania never being able to find a victim, led to the non-guilty verdicts on those counts.

Let me be clear again, Sandusky is a piece of **** that should never see the light of day ever again, but I feel that my alma mater has been unceremoniously dragged through the mud through a long, calculated campaign of half-truths, exaggerations, and outright lies. In a recent development that I'm sure no one not following the story has heard, the man that prosecuted the Penn State officials has lost his law license for a year over their prosecution. The star witness against them was sanctioned for violating attorney-client privilege by testifying against people who believed her to be their attorney.
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
              Bite away.... while he had access to facilities, he did not, to my knowledge maintain an office on campus. As for the McQueary shower incident, the night it allegedly happened, he was so outraged that he did absolutely nothing to stop it. This 30 year old man went home to his father, who was being visited by a physician friend, and told them what he saw. His father was so incensed about what he heard that he told his son he should talk about it with his boss the next morning. McQueary's story changed (almost daily) including not even being sure what year it happened. That, combined with the state of Pennsylvania never being able to find a victim, led to the non-guilty verdicts on those counts.
              It's a bigger leap of faith to assume that McQueary brought great shame and unwanted attention to himself by making up a story about Sandusky (who you acknowledge is a piece of **** and so the behavior would be in character), than simply to assume the most likely thing is that everyone from McQueary to Paterno to the administration handled the situation poorly. You are pointing to technicalities about why the case was dropped but nothing that changes the big picture of what transpired at Penn State.
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                It's a bigger leap of faith to assume that McQueary brought great shame and unwanted attention to himself by making up a story about Sandusky (who you acknowledge is a piece of **** and so the behavior would be in character), than simply to assume the most likely thing is that everyone from McQueary to Paterno to the administration handled the situation poorly. You are pointing to technicalities about why the case was dropped but nothing that changes the big picture of what transpired at Penn State.
                I don't know what McQueery saw. Nobody does, because he couldn't tell the same story twice. My point is whatever he saw, he didn't feel the need to stop it (or call the cops). Whatever he told his father that night, he didn't feel the need to stop it either (or call the cops). The physician friend of his fathers didn't feel the need to stop it (or call the cops). Since this is the only incident that Sandusky was charged with that had anything to do with Penn State, I don't feel this is a Penn State scandal. It was a Second Mile scandal, but that didn't look as good on ESPN. (not to mention all of the state grant money that Sandusky had reaped from Pennsylvania over the years gave the politicians motive to frame the University).

Again, my point is that this was not a Penn State scandal so much as the charity Sandusky founded and worked for that enabled him to operate for so many years.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Working...
                X