Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCHC Playoffs

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    It makes the process the same as every other D3 team sport. But let's move along. Nothing (new) to see here.
    True enough.

But simply because this is the usual BS does not lend the process any credence.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      The USA played its way into the Gold Medal round, no gift-AQ's involved.
      The USA was in the Olympics because the host country gets an outbid
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

OK, you got me there, I suppose.

(Not looking that up, but I watched that game many hours later, when I was still in college, and through a window during a fire-drill! Still a fun memory.)

Anyhoo, that was 40 years ago. Nothing new about that, either.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-28-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
          Final score: Stevenson vs. Wilkes Game 1: Wilkes wins 7-5.
          I was fairly sure that that series would be a dog-fight. Those two teams are both pretty good.

We might even stream Game 2 once we get back from watching UC beat Naz tomorrow.

Comment

Hate to throw Prof under the bus, but though that is technically true, USA would have qualified anyway under the rules of that day.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Hate to throw Prof under the bus, but though that is technically true, USA would have qualified anyway under the rules of that day.
              SHHH! The important thing is that the host country always gets an autobid, even if they are China or Japan.

Comment

So to change this fascinating discussion on pros and cons of...whatever this discussion is discussing....I would like to talk about the wisdom (or foolishness) of the two game series for the UCHC playoff semis and finals. If I remember correctly, the SUNYAC and ECAC-East(?) and perhaps one or more (mid---that's for you NUProf) western leagues used to do this, but ended that practice 10 year or so ago. Was the argument for going to a single game format that it might be less damaging to a tournament runner-up in the at-large pool since a runner-up might get 2-3 losses in the tournament (as apposed to just 1)?
                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                  So to change this fascinating discussion on pros and cons of...whatever this discussion is discussing....I would like to talk about the wisdom (or foolishness) of the two game series for the UCHC playoff semis and finals. If I remember correctly, the SUNYAC and ECAC-East(?) and perhaps one or more (mid---that's for you NUProf) western leagues used to do this, but ended that practice 10 year or so ago. Was the argument for going to a single game format that it might be less damaging to a tournament runner-up in the at-large pool since a runner-up might get 2-3 losses in the tournament (as apposed to just 1)?
                  The NCAA tourney was like that at one time as well.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                    I’ve been thinking the exact same thing recently. I’ve thought of it from the angle with the PWR, is it as damaging anymore? Especially since the weighted factors of record in last 20 games and record against teams in contention are no longer used.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      The NCAA tourney was like that at one time as well.
                      But that has nothing to do with Badger's question.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        I’ve been thinking the exact same thing recently. I’ve thought of it from the angle with the PWR, is it as damaging anymore? Especially since the weighted factors of record in last 20 games and record against teams in contention are no longer used.
                        That is probably very true! Thanks Mr. Jaslow.

I remember when the first rounds of the NCAA's were two game, total goal contests (prior to 1989), as were some league championships. I had Saturday night tickets for 1980-81 Badgers season. In the first round of the WCHA tournament that year, Wisconsin defeated Colorado College 8-2 on Saturday, but lost the next day 11-4 and lost the two game total goal series 13-12 on what became to be known as Black Sunday. Wisconsin, not getting the league auto bid to the NCAA's, were however picked by the committee in the smoke filled room as an at large bid. The Badgers won their third national championship that year, defeating Univ of Minnesota, after becoming known as "The Backdoor Badgers."
                        Point of this? Win your tournament and earn your way to the NCAA's, get picked as an at-large team, and get there the cheap way....but if you win you are still the National Champion.
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Pioneer apparent (well, to some anyway) goal waved off in final 4 seconds of the 2nd period. However, UC scored on ensuring face off (goal at 19:59.2) and leads 2-1 after 2. Shots favor UC 20-17.
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

The resurgence of the 2 game series is aimed a making it less likely that an early round upset of a top team will keep them out of the tournament finals. That should be something that Fish would support. I like the concept of the two game series, but I'd like a series that ends up 1-1 or 0-0-2 to be finished with a full game the next day.
                            Last edited by NUProf; 02-29-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The resurgence of the 2 game series is aimed a making it less likely that an early round upset of a top team will keep them out of the tournament finals. That should be something that Fish would support. I like the concept of the two game series, but I'd like a series that ends up 1-1 or 0-0-2 to be finished with a full game the next day.
                              The SUNYAC did for a few years have a full fledged three-game series ... for the finals only. Some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen were in those series. (Caveat — the series could end 1-0-1. Only the third game played OT till a winner was decided.)
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Utica takes the first game 5-2.
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Working...
                                X