Rule Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rule Changes?

If the NHL wants to make this change they can do it. They'll just tell the teams to install four ice-level HD cameras at the blue lines in every rink so they have a good view of every play and can accurately review the plays in question.

College rinks don't/won't have these camera views and the NCAA won't mandate this type of technology to be added. They can't even get the teams to have decent broadcast camera views in a lot of rinks.
    Without these additional views, skates "in the plane" of the blue line, viewed from a pressbox level camera, shot on an angle will be far too subjective. I don't see the NCAA adding this change. If they do, they are opening up a whole new can of worms with nothing but problems.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      ...Without these additional views, skates "in the plane" of the blue line, viewed from a pressbox level camera, shot on an angle will be far too subjective. I don't see the NCAA adding this change. If they do, they are opening up a whole new can of worms with nothing but problems.
      This!! If you think video reviews take too long now, just wait and see how long it takes to determine if a heel tip was or was not "in the plane."
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
        This!! If you think video reviews take too long now, just wait and see how long it takes to determine if a heel tip was or was not "in the plane."
        Why would review requirements be any different than how they do it now? The angles they have now to prove/disprove the skate is on the ice and touching the line would just as easily show if the skate is in the plane. ffs this isn't a difficult concept to visualize.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Why would review requirements be any different than how they do it now? The angles they have now to prove/disprove the skate is on the ice and touching the line would just as easily show if the skate is in the plane. ffs this isn't a difficult concept to visualize.
          Agreed. I talked to an off-ice replay operator about this. It actually should be easier to see if a skate is located above the blue line than if it is touching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
            Agreed. I talked to an off-ice replay operator about this. It actually should be easier to see if a skate is located above the blue line than if it is touching it.
            If you are the off-ice replay operator and you only have a couple camera angles (no blue-line cams), it can be impossible to tell if a play is offsides in either situation (touching or the 'plane') depending on where the players are on the ice.

They really either need a replay system with blueline cameras or change the rules to just not allow offsides as a reviewable play. These are the reviews that seem to take forever.

Comment

I talked to an off-ice replay operator about this. It actually should be easier to see if a skate is located above the blue line than if it is touching it.
              Well now we know why reply takes so long if this person is handling replays. That is one of the least factual statements I've heard in a while. You're taking reply from 2D to 3D and using off-angle camera shots to make these judgments. Adding another dimension to the equation is in NO way, easier.

Once again, keep in mind we're not talking about the NHL, they will get shots right down the line, and likely in HD. We're talking about college hockey rinks with their two, maybe three high camera angles, some not even HD. So you're going to try to call offside in three dimensions using a 12" monitor in the penalty box with an image that looks like the one below. Is this puck in the air in front of, above, or behind the line? Good luck...

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Well now we know why reply takes so long if this person is handling replays. That is one of the least factual statements I've heard in a while. You're taking reply from 2D to 3D and using off-angle camera shots to make these judgments. Adding another dimension to the equation is in NO way, easier.
                You're not adding a dimension. If anything, you're removing one since you don't have to try to see if there's contact on the horizontal plane, just whether the vertical plane has been crossed.

And I guess I'm just used to arenas with blue line cameras. I assumed that since the lowest league in D-I required them (and overhead cameras on the goals) that every league did.

Comment

1. All minor and major penalties go on the clock. No more offsetting.

2. All penalties must be served in their entirety. No more terminations as a result of a PPG.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't understand why they think a change is necessary. Having contact with neutral zone ice has been the rule for a long time with no problems. Is it really hindering the game to requie a guy keeps one foot on the ice?

They say it is for more offence. But is that really going to make a difference? They said it has happened 14 times already this season in the NHL. That's about once every 75 NHL games so far. It is not a major factor in the game. Leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

There may be blue line cameras at all rinks, but I can guarantee that many of them are not in plane. I don't believe that if the rule was changed, the call would be any easier or that it would take less time, given the aforementioned.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        There may be blue line cameras at all rinks, but I can guarantee that many of them are not in plane. I don't believe that if the rule was changed, the call would be any easier or that it would take less time, given the aforementioned.
                        The NCAA does not mandate blue line cameras and most rinks do not have them.

Comment

I recently worked as the broadcast director for a D1 college hockey team in a conference that doesn't have off-ice replay officials. I agree 100% that it makes this review easier. You're removing a requirement. Previously, you'd have to first see if the play was onside, then see if the person's toe was touching the line. You remove that latter portion and it's just seeing if it's onside. In the handful of years where checking of offsides was a requirement, I never had one where it was that close that it mattered.

More often than not, before the refs had a chance to put on the headset and talk to me, I'd have seen the replay 3-4 times on a higher quality monitor than they had. They knew that and I gave them an honest assessment of the play regardless of which team it was against. If they wanted to check a potential goal for the home team (my employer), if it didn't go in I'd tell them that as soon as they put on the headset. They'd glance once but there's no reason for these extended reviews.

Comment

If it's that hard to tell in a video review whether or not the skate was on the ice, it is inconclusive and the play stands as called on the ice. Why create a "solution" to a problem that does not exist?

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              If it's that hard to tell in a video review whether or not the skate was on the ice, it is inconclusive and the play stands as called on the ice. Why create a "solution" to a problem that does not exist?

I think it's less about making it easier to review and more about making it easier to let play continue on the ice.

I really don't understand the amount of angst being exhibited over this proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                I think it's less about making it easier to review and more about making it easier to let play continue on the ice.

I really don't understand the amount of angst being exhibited over this proposal.
                                If I'm a linesman and a team is trying to enter the zone while a teammate is racing back to get onside. If the player slides feet first, it's easier for me to see that his skates are over the blue as the puck crosses than to make even more of a judgement call to determine if even part of his blade is touching the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X