Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rule Changes?

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
    The 5v5 sudden death OT is old and outdated and ties do nothing to keep casual fans involved.
    For the life of me, I cannot understand this mentality.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

For the love of god anything but the NHL's 2-1-1 system. At least keep 3 points on the table like the western conferences already do if we're going to introduce OT points.

Comment

There is not a separate coach's challenge. A coach must use their timeout to initiate a review so it is not a free timeout. If their timeout was used, they can't challenge.

I'm not sure it would make sense to penalize them even more when they already have to use a timeout (regular season only).
        Thank you for the clarification. So if the Coach is correct, he retains the timeout for the future and the team still gets a rest without using a timeout.

93.7 Team Timeout Request/Coach's Challenge - A team may use its timeout
        for the purpose of reviewing situations that are in the video replay criteria
        or a potentially non-detected goal. If the challenge is successful, the team
        retains its timeout; if the challenge is unsuccessful, the timeout is charged.
        This timeout policy applies to any video replay procedure used. The on-ice
        official makes the final decision.
        In order for a time out to be granted a coach must:
        • Identify from the onset of the request that the time out is for purpose
        of video review. A coach may not request a video review if the timeout
        is taken for another purpose. A coach may not stall in any manner prior
        to requesting the review.
        • Identify the specific video replay criteria requested to be reviewed.
        When any aspect of the video replay criteria is challenged, it allows the
        referee to utilize all aspects of the review criteria to be judged (e.g., high stick
        challenged, but video shows the puck was kicked into the goal).
        When a video review, due to technical issues with the video replay system,
        is unable to provide an adequate review, a team timeout will not be charged.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

What about the checking from behind majors vs minors? And what about these bogus embellishment calls I keep seeing? It seems as if the refs don't make a call, they just go to replay. And contact to the head, if I'm 6'6 and I check someone who is 5'8 it's almost guaranteed isn't it?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            For the life of me, I cannot understand this mentality.
            Completely agree. I am fine with ties. I don't need to be there an extra half hour so we can fiddle around with two different five minute OTs and a shootout just so we can have a "winner". It's a long season, ties are fine. The only tweak I would support is a 4 on 4 OT. If nobody scores a tie is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              What about the checking from behind majors vs minors? And what about these bogus embellishment calls I keep seeing? It seems as if the refs don't make a call, they just go to replay. And contact to the head, if I'm 6'6 and I check someone who is 5'8 it's almost guaranteed isn't it?
              As for as Contact to the Head, how would you change the rule?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Concerning ties, can someone tell me if I have this right:
                1) For all NCAA games which count toward the PWR, a 5v5 OT for 5 min is played, and the result is either someone wins, or, for PWR purposes, it's a tie.
                2) Following this, each conference is allowed to make its own rules as to what to do after that. For example, BIG does 3v3 followed by a SO, with pts going 3-2-1-0
                3) In the case of Beanpot and other special tournaments, permission can be granted for other formats - like a 20min OT.

Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Completely agree. I am fine with ties. I don't need to be there an extra half hour so we can fiddle around with two different five minute OTs and a shootout just so we can have a "winner". It's a long season, ties are fine. The only tweak I would support is a 4 on 4 OT. If nobody scores a tie is fine.
                  If everyone doesn't have a problem with ties, then why not end after 60 minutes in the regular season? Long time hockey fans never have a problem with the current system but what about trying to attract new fans? I have heard so many fans over the years say "what a waste, we spent 2 hours watching a game that no one won". I have never been a huge fan of the shootout, but I do enjoy the 3v3 and have heard alot of fans make comments about how exciting it is to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    1) For all NCAA games which count toward the PWR, a 5v5 OT for 5 min is played, and the result is either someone wins, or, for PWR purposes, it's a tie.
                    2) Following this, each conference is allowed to make its own rules as to what to do after that. For example, BIG does 3v3 followed by a SO, with pts going 3-2-1-0
                    3) In the case of Beanpot and other special tournaments, permission can be granted for other formats - like a 20min OT.

Is this correct?
                    That's correct.

Comment

If everyone doesn't have a problem with ties, then why not end after 60 minutes in the regular season? Long time hockey fans never have a problem with the current system but what about trying to attract new fans? I have heard so many fans over the years say "what a waste, we spent 2 hours watching a game that no one won". I have never been a huge fan of the shootout, but I do enjoy the 3v3 and have heard alot of fans make comments about how exciting it is to watch.
                      I don't think I have ever encountered anybody so enraged by a tie that they didn't come back again. If the product is good they will come back. And now that you bring it up, I actually would be fine with no OT at all in regular season. You have 60 minutes, figure it out! Incentivize winning in conference standings. Like European soccer, they are ok with ties. 3 points for winning, one point for a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                        I would be in favor of a couple of changes. First a 2-minute delay of game penalty for hitting the puck out of play from your defensive zone like in the NHL. Next, as they do in International Rules for face-offs, a player isn’t thrown out of the faceoff for a violation but receives a warning and results in a delay penalty should it happen a second time.
                        Both of these are bad.

Comment

Is this correct?
                          Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          That's correct.
                          Not quite correct. The rules are already in place for both conference and in season tournament games that remain tied:

Rule 91 - Tied Games
                          91.1 Tied Games - Regular Season
                          - All regular-season games that remain tied after 60 minutes of play shall conduct a sudden-death overtime period of five minutes. No alternative systems (e.g., reduced manpower, shootouts, etc.) are permitted, with the exception of regular-season tournaments that require a team to advance. The following procedure shall be followed:
                          1. There shall be a two-minute intermission.
                          2. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period.
                          3. A five-minute period shall be played (5-on-5).
                          4. The team that scores first wins and the game is ended. If a goal is not scored in the five-minute period, the game shall be declared a tie.
                          If either team declines to play in the necessary overtime period, the game
                          shall be declared a loss for that team.
                          91.2 Tied Games - Regular Season - Conference Policy Formats - If the game remains tied after the provisions used in Rule 91.1, by conference policy only, a five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime may be played, followed by a sudden-death shootout, OR a shootout may be used immediately after the mandatory five-minute sudden death overtime. Non-conference games may not use this provision.
                          91.3 Tied Games - Penalties - Any overtime period shall be considered part of the game and all unexpired penalties shall remain in force.
                          91.4 Tied Games - Postseason Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods. The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the 10-minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
                          91.5 Tied Games - Regular-Season Tournaments - Regular-season tournaments that require a winner for advancement purposes may use the options in Rule 91.2 or 91.4, provided the teams participating in the tournament are notified what procedure will be utilized in advance of the event. The minigame is only allowed in postseason tournaments.
                          91.6 Shootout - Only games that end in a tie and require team advancement during a regular-season tournament may be broken by use of a shootout under the following conditions:
                          1. Teams play a standard five-minute (5 on 5) overtime.
                          2. If game remains tied after the five-minute overtime, it shall officially be recorded as a tie.
                          3. Teams participating in a tournament must be notified prior to the tournament that the shootout option will be used.

The rules were written to allow in-season tournament games to go directly to a 20-minute sudden death overtime, like the Beanpot did in 2019. However, last summer the rule was "clarified" to state even in-season tournament games must use the 5-minutes overtime and then officially be considered a tie. Having seen the "clarification" in three Beanpot games I hope that the rules committee* supports going back to allowing in-season tournament games to go directly to 20-minute overtimes and recording the game as a win-loss.

Sean

*stupid, stupid rat creatures
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Not quite correct. The rules are already in place for both conference and in season tournament games that remain tied:

Rule 91 - Tied Games
                            91.1 Tied Games - Regular Season
                            - All regular-season games that remain tied after 60 minutes of play shall conduct a sudden-death overtime period of five minutes. No alternative systems (e.g., reduced manpower, shootouts, etc.) are permitted, with the exception of regular-season tournaments that require a team to advance. The following procedure shall be followed:
                            3. A five-minute period shall be played (5-on-5).
                            4. The team that scores first wins and the game is ended. If a goal is not scored in the five-minute period, the game shall be declared a tie.
                            91.2 Tied Games - Regular Season - Conference Policy Formats - If the game remains tied after the provisions used in Rule 91.1, by conference policy only, a five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime may be played, followed by a sudden-death shootout, OR a shootout may be used immediately after the mandatory five-minute sudden death overtime. Non-conference games may not use this provision.
                            91.3 Tied Games - Penalties - Any overtime period shall be considered part of the game and all unexpired penalties shall remain in force.
                            91.4 Tied Games - Postseason Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods. The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the 10-minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
                            91.5 Tied Games - Regular-Season Tournaments - Regular-season tournaments that require a winner for advancement purposes may use the options in Rule 91.2 or 91.4, provided the teams participating in the tournament are notified what procedure will be utilized in advance of the event. The minigame is only allowed in postseason tournaments.
                            91.6 Shootout - Only games that end in a tie and require team advancement during a regular-season tournament may be broken by use of a shootout under the following conditions:
                            1. Teams play a standard five-minute (5 on 5) overtime.
                            2. If game remains tied after the five-minute overtime, it shall officially be recorded as a tie.
                            3. Teams participating in a tournament must be notified prior to the tournament that the shootout option will be used.

The rules were written to allow in-season tournament games to go directly to a 20-minute sudden death overtime, like the Beanpot did in 2019. However, last summer the rule was "clarified" to state even in-season tournament games must use the 5-minutes overtime and then officially be considered a tie. Having seen the "clarification" in three Beanpot games I hope that the rules committee* supports going back to allowing in-season tournament games to go directly to 20-minute overtimes and recording the game as a win-loss.

Sean

*stupid, stupid rat creatures
                            If I understand correctly, you are pointing out that conferences cannot 'do what they want', but rather they have a limited list of choices. Is that a correct interpretation?

Comment

If I understand correctly, you are pointing out that conferences cannot 'do what they want', but rather they have a limited list of choices. Is that a correct interpretation?
                              Yes. As I recall the rules committee was originally going to recommend eliminating the conference option, but push back was strong enough for them to recommend the current option. Previously the rules allowed going directly to either a 4x4 or 3x3 overtime period:

NCAA ICE HOCKEY 2016-17 AND 2017-18 RULES AND INTERPRETATIONS
                              Rule 91 - Tied Games
                              91.1 Tied Games
                              - If the score is tied at the end of three regulation 20-minute periods, the following shall take place (Exception: See 91.3):
                              3. A five-minute period shall be played.
                              5. By conference policy or mutual consent of the participating teams, 4-on-4 is an approved way to play the five-minute overtime period.
                              6. By conference policy, a five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime may be played, followed by a sudden-death shootout, may be used.
                              91.3 Shootout - Any game that results in a tie may be broken by use of a shootout under the following conditions:
                              1. Teams play a standard five-minute overtime.
                              3. Teams participating in a tournament must be notified not later than October 1 of the upcoming season that the shootout option will be used.
                              4. By conference policy or mutual consent of the participating teams, a shootout may be used in any tie game after the five-minute overtime period.
                              91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.

Wanting to standardize overtime was a good idea, but I'm still against the "clarification" of the current rule. Of course, if they go to 3x3 overtime the in-season tournaments will have to be allowed to have an immediate 5x5 20-minute overtime unless they want to either have 5-minutes of 3x3 and then go back to 5x5, or have all of the overtime be 3x3.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Even the NFL has ties.

Comment

Working...
                                X