D3 Tournament Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Tournament Discussion

I didn't see a thread on this and got tired of sifting through the scores page looking for discussion...

If it ended today... (PWR)
    Pool A's
    MIAC-Gustavus (4)
    NCHA-Adrian (14)
    NEHC-Norwich (10)
    NESCAC-Middlebury (2)
    NEWHL-Plattsburgh (1)
    UCHC-Elmira (7)

Pool B (based on PWR)
    UWEC (3)

Pool C's (based on PWR)
    Endicott (4)
    River Falls (6)
    Colby (8)

This works out somewhat conveniently for the NCAA as the 4 first-round teams should be
    Adrian, Norwich, Colby, Elmira

Which allows for that Adrian/Elmira matchup in the first round.

First Round
    Adrian @ Elmira
    Colby @ Norwich

I won't go too far beyond that at this point. Many of those Pool A's aren't locks, especially out West. Hamline could easily beat Gustavus, Lake Forest/Adrian split in the regular season. If Lake Forest wins, that just swaps them for Adrian...but a Hamline win likely knocks Colby out, which would set up a Hamline/River Falls first-round game most likely. If both win...would that really put 5 western teams in the tournament?
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Re: D3 Tournament Discussion

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    I didn't see a thread on this and got tired of sifting through the scores page looking for discussion...

If it ended today... (PWR)
    Pool A's
    MIAC-Gustavus (4)
    NCHA-Adrian (14)
    NEHC-Norwich (10)
    NESCAC-Middlebury (2)
    NEWHL-Plattsburgh (1)
    UCHC-Elmira (7)

Pool B (based on PWR)
    UWEC (3)

Pool C's (based on PWR)
    Endicott (4)
    River Falls (6)
    Colby (8)

This works out somewhat conveniently for the NCAA as the 4 first-round teams should be
    Adrian, Norwich, Colby, Elmira

Which allows for that Adrian/Elmira matchup in the first round.

First Round
    Adrian @ Elmira
    Colby @ Norwich

I won't go too far beyond that at this point. Many of those Pool A's aren't locks, especially out West. Hamline could easily beat Gustavus, Lake Forest/Adrian split in the regular season. If Lake Forest wins, that just swaps them for Adrian...but a Hamline win likely knocks Colby out, which would set up a Hamline/River Falls first-round game most likely. If both win...would that really put 5 western teams in the tournament?
    You made a couple of errors.

There's no Pool B, there aren't enough teams. The CHC also still has their autobid as there's a 2 season grace period after falling below 7 teams.

Pool A's
    CHC - Endicott (4)
    MIAC-Gustavus (4)
    NCHA-Adrian (14)
    NEHC-Norwich (10)
    NESCAC-Middlebury (2)
    NEWHL-Plattsburgh (1)
    UCHC-Elmira (7)

Pool C's (based on PWR)
    UWEC (3)
    River Falls (6)
    Colby (8)

Also you put Adrian @ Elmira in the first round, which they won't do because they have to fly Adrian if they beat Elmira. Only way I could see it happening is if there's enough change to the projected bracket where a QF flight is unavoidable.

It will likely be

First Round:
    Colby @ Norwich
    River Falls @ Gustavus

Quarters:
    Colby/Norwich @ Plattsburgh
    Endicott @ Middlebury
    RF/GAC @ Eau Claire
    Adrian @ Elmira

I'm with you that we could see a non-first seed win their AQ this season that could put Colby out (unless Colby over Middlebury is the upset) and possibly even River Falls.
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      You made a couple of errors.

There's no Pool B, there aren't enough teams. The CHC also still has their autobid as there's a 2 season grace period after falling below 7 teams.

Pool A's
      CHC - Endicott (4)
      MIAC-Gustavus (4)
      NCHA-Adrian (14)
      NEHC-Norwich (10)
      NESCAC-Middlebury (2)
      NEWHL-Plattsburgh (1)
      UCHC-Elmira (7)

Pool C's (based on PWR)
      UWEC (3)
      River Falls (6)
      Colby (8)

Also you put Adrian @ Elmira in the first round, which they won't do because they have to fly Adrian if they beat Elmira. Only way I could see it happening is if there's enough change to the projected bracket where a QF flight is unavoidable.

It will likely be

First Round:
      Colby @ Norwich
      River Falls @ Gustavus

Quarters:
      Colby/Norwich @ Plattsburgh
      Endicott @ Middlebury
      RF/GAC @ Eau Claire
      Adrian @ Elmira

I'm with you that we could see a non-first seed win their AQ this season that could put Colby out (unless Colby over Middlebury is the upset) and possibly even River Falls.
      Right now Colby would host Norwich in the proposed first round matchup as they are higher in the PWR.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

It will likely be

First Round:
        Colby @ Norwich
        River Falls @ Gustavus

Yeah I thought I was missing something there with Endicott but couldn’t remember what it was.

I thought the whole point of going with the PairWise was to take out some of the stupidity of rigging matchups. So they’re going to force the #4/#6 play in the first round and give the #14 team a bye into the quarters. But now as I type that...didn’t they do that last year making Plattsburgh play a first round?
        Last edited by gojackets; 02-24-2020, 10:54 AM.
        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Yeah I thought I was missing something there with Endicott but couldn’t remember what it was.

I thought the whole point of going with the PairWise was to take out some of the stupidity of rigging matchups. So they’re going to force the #4/#6 play in the first round and give the #14 team a bye into the quarters. But now as I type that...didn’t they do that last year making Plattsburgh play a first round?
          Unfortunately the travel restrictions and the mandate to avoid flights did not get eliminated with the transition to PWR. And you're correct, Plattsburgh played in the first round despite being the #2 seed.

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Right now Colby would host Norwich in the proposed first round matchup as they are higher in the PWR.
          My bad there. Thanks for catching. Colby is 5-1 against the three teams standing between them and Middlebury in the NESCAC final (Bowdoin, Williams and Hamilton) so I wouldn't be shocked to see them hold on to the final Pool C if all the 1 seeds above them (Platts, Midd, Endicott, GAC, Elmira). My question is: could they jump River Falls if they make the NESCAC finals and lose and River Falls makes the WIAC final and loses?

Comment

Going with the PWR was never meant for bracketing. Only for selecting.

After selection, other rules apply which can supersede bracket integrity.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

So Hamline is out. Wow. Disappointing end for those ladies.
              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Working...
              X