Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 10: If we stop fighting Nazis, the world will die.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 10: If we stop fighting Nazis, the world will die.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Warren, who won't be elected President, paid for a full page ad in Adelson's newspaper about a plan that will not be implemented even if she became President. No wonder Adelson keeps adding to his wealth.
    Got the lottery numbers too? I need to go buy a ticket.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Warren, who won't be elected President, paid for a full page ad in Adelson's newspaper about a plan that will not be implemented even if she became President. No wonder Adelson keeps adding to his wealth.
      Your attitude is why we can't have nice things.

"America. We can't do anything anymore".
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by first time, long time View Post
        got the lottery numbers too? I need to go buy a ticket.
        7, 19, 22, 36, 54 pb 11
        Last edited by SJHovey; 02-20-2020, 10:41 AM.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Your attitude is why we can't have nice things.

"America. We can't do anything anymore".
          My attitude?

I think wealth inequality is pretty significant in the country, but I'm not naive to think that Warren or anyone else is going to realistically change that. The problem is that the people voting on it are all well into the 1%, which is why it didn't happen under Obama or Clinton or anyone else.

My post was intended as a response to the tweet that suggested chutzpah or some great move by Warren buying the ad in Adelson's paper. My guess is Adelson would be more than happy to sell her that ad once a day until November. I just get a kick out of those on the left who think such empty gestures are these great moves.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

7, 19, 22, 36, 54 pb 11
            brb

Comment

Obama and Clinton never really tried to implement one, at least nothing like what is being proposed currently. As far as this move by Warren I think it's kinda funny but ultimately it isn't super meaningful.

Comment

My attitude?

I think wealth inequality is pretty significant in the country, but I'm not naive to think that Warren or anyone else is going to realistically change that. The problem is that the people voting on it are all well into the 1%, which is why it didn't happen under Obama or Clinton or anyone else.
                So Democrats have not been trying to change the tax brackets including placing more burden on the 1% and less on the middle class?

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  Liz nailed why I can't support Bloomberg : “I’d like to talk about who we’re running against — a billionaire who calls women fat broads and horse-faced lesbians,” Warren said.
                  But you'll vote for the Loonitarian nominee, a party whose standard voter base consists approximately 50% of incels who write "manosphere" blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    So Democrats have not been trying to change the tax brackets including placing more burden on the 1% and less on the middle class?
                    I don't think in any sort of meaningful way it's happened while they've been in power. I suspect during Obama's years the inequality growth slowed, but primarily due to the tanking of the stock market and real estate market.

A dozen years ago or so the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, but I don't recall any great wealth tax imposed or other dramatic step to change the inequality. They had their chance. Granted they didn't do what Trump and the Republicans did when afforded the same measure of control here a couple of years ago, and pass tax cuts to make it worse.

But again, when you have Feinstein money or Pelosi money, are you really that interested in just handing over half of it?

Comment

If politicians want to take on the ultra wealthy, they better look at how the early 1900's played out politically. I'm pretty sure the Jeff Bezos types are aware of how Teddy Roosevelt took down their late 1800 equivalents. No way that is allowed to happen today.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

A dozen years ago or so the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, but I don't recall any great wealth tax imposed or other dramatic step to change the inequality. They had their chance. Granted they didn't do what Trump and the Republicans did when afforded the same measure of control here a couple of years ago, and pass tax cuts to make it worse.
                        Without looking at who controlled what, the top rate was raised from 31% to 39.6% in 1993, lowered to 35% in 2003, increased to 39.6% in 2013, and finally lowered to 37% in 2018. I can only guess who lowered it from 50% to 38.5% and again to 28% in 1987 and 88 respectively.

Comment

A dozen years ago or so the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, but I don't recall any great wealth tax imposed or other dramatic step to change the inequality.
                          Apparently you weren't paying attention.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/medicare-tax-3193121

In the 2 years where the Dems controlled both houses of Congress, they implemented a large wealth transfer which was the ACA, paid for by wealthy taxpayers as well as the medical industry. Should they have implemented an additional wealth tax on top of that? Not sure the politics of the time made that possible unlike today where its much more feasible.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Also there was that little thing of pulling the country out of the largest downturn in 80 years, so that probably took some time and focus away from other plans.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Apparently you weren't paying attention.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/medicare-tax-3193121

In the 2 years where the Dems controlled both houses of Congress, they implemented a large wealth transfer which was the ACA, paid for by wealthy taxpayers as well as the medical industry. Should they have implemented an additional wealth tax on top of that? Not sure the politics of the time made that possible unlike today where its much more feasible.
                              Well if that was the plan with the ACA (adopted in 2010, iirc), it didn't work (at least according to this graph).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth...ality_-_v2.png

Comment

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X