Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 10: If we stop fighting Nazis, the world will die.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 10: If we stop fighting Nazis, the world will die.

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    still not the same as exterminating 8 million Jews and causing tens of millions of deaths overall.

BTW: Obama's record on migrant detention deaths, while better than Trump's, is also not great. There were hundreds of migrant detention deaths year after year under Obama. Fortunately, I don't think they included children after his first couple years in office.
    I'd like to see the data to validate the results were similar. We know that Trump ratcheted up detainment (including "zero tolerance" and family separations) and changed existing policies on a multitude of levels.

Trump immigration policy 'unsustainable'

The zero tolerance policy, introduced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions last month, aggressively prosecutes migrants who cross into the U.S. illegally upon apprehension. The policy effectively separates migrant adults and children, as the two are prosecuted separately in court.
    Comparing Trump's and Obama's immigration policies.

Immigration under Trump: A Review of Policy Shifts in the Year Since the Election

Among its major actions on immigration during 2017, the administration:

-Banned nationals of eight countries, most majority-Muslim, from entering the United States.
    -Reduced refugee admissions to the lowest level since the resettlement program was created in 1980.
    -Reversed the decline in arrests of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. interior that had occurred during the last two years of the Obama administration.
    -Cancelled the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which is currently providing work authorization and temporary relief from deportation to approximately 690,000 unauthorized immigrants brought to the United States as children.
    -Ended the designation of Temporary Protected Status for nationals of Haiti, Nicaragua and Sudan, and signaled that Hondurans and possibly Salvadorans may also lose their work authorization and protection from removal in 2018.

MEMORANDUM FOR FEDERAL PROSECUTORS ALONG THE SOUTHWEST BORDER

Accordingly, I direct each United States Attorney's Office along the Southwest Borderto the extent practicable, and in consultation with DHS- to adopt immediately a zero-tolerance policy for all offenses referred for prosecution under section 1325(a). This zero-tolerance policy shall supersede any existing policies. If adopting such a policy requires additional resources, each office shall identify and request such additional resources.

At least 3 “tender age” shelters set up for child migrants

BREAKING: “Trump administration officials have been sending babies and other young children forcibly separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border to at least three "tender age" shelters in South Texas

Also did they intentionally detain and separate during Obama for the purpose of extorting funding funds for bull$**t initiatives:

Should I go on in contrasting the level of evil between the two administrations pertaining to immigration and border security? Never mind that Obama never had anyone like Stephen Miller in charge of what was happening there.

So I'd like to see the evidence it was ever remotely as gross, poorly managed and downright evil in nature during the previous administration. Not arguing it was perfect mind you to be clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      You mean Ronald Reagan was lying to me when he said the doors were always open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here?
      It's a great concept, morally sound. Just not practical. Overpopulation is a real thing.

Comment

Slap shot still clearly doesn't understand the difference between, "Obama admin's immigration policy was inhumane" and "was as bad as Trump's".

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          It's a great concept, morally sound. Just not practical. Overpopulation is a real thing.
          There are a lot of the areas of the country where overpopulation is not a real thing. I grew up in one of those areas. Unfortunately many of those areas seem to be most opposed to welcoming immigrants, but I think they do so at their peril.

When you look at "outstate" Minnesota, for instance, those communities need people. If you don't have people, businesses shutter, others move away, and sooner or later you become a ghost town.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That must be why rural towns will pay people to move there.

Comment

Evaluating overpopulation isn't based on specific areas like that but more the # of people total. I understand what you're saying though.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                There are a lot of the areas of the country where overpopulation is not a real thing. I grew up in one of those areas. Unfortunately many of those areas seem to be most opposed to welcoming immigrants, but I think they do so at their peril.

When you look at "outstate" Minnesota, for instance, those communities need people. If you don't have people, businesses shutter, others move away, and sooner or later you become a ghost town.
                Those communities also need jobs. Cities have jobs, rural hamlets don't.

Comment

And to be clear I am not saying shut the borders to everyone. But at the same time you can't take everyone either.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I'd like to see the data to validate the results were similar.
                    Why would I have data to validate something that I never said? I didn't say they were on the same scale. I said Obama's record was "not great". He deported a lot of people, but also detained many and hundreds died while in custody.

Comment

Evaluating overpopulation isn't based on specific areas like that but more the # of people total. I understand what you're saying though.
                      On a planet-wide basis, yeah overpopulation could become a very real problem. Geometric progression is a biatch.
                      Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Those communities also need jobs. Cities have jobs, rural hamlets don't.
                      I would guess that if you went into every community of less than 10,000 people, certainly in the midwest, and asked civic leaders what they need most in their community, jobs and families would top all the lists (white, northern european families is what they mean by that).

But I don't think this is a "chicken or the egg" kind of question. The people have to be there first. Then the business shows up. You don't see areas where there are brand new manufacturing plants, shopping malls, large box stores and endless restaurants just waiting for someone to move nearby. Those things show up when there are people to fill them.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        On a planet-wide basis, yeah overpopulation could become a very real problem. Geometric progression is a biatch.
                        Malthus called.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just a wacky conspiracy theory. Pay no attention.

Dozens of interviews with Democratic establishment leaders this week show that they are not just worried about Mr. Sanders’s candidacy, but are also willing to risk intraparty damage to stop his nomination at the national convention in July if they get the chance. Since Mr. Sanders’s victory in Nevada’s caucuses on Saturday, The Times has interviewed 93 party officials — all of them superdelegates, who could have a say on the nominee at the convention — and found overwhelming opposition to handing the Vermont senator the nomination if he arrived with the most delegates but fell short of a majority.
                          That anxiety has led even superdelegates to suggest ideas that sound ripped from the pages of a political drama.

In recent weeks, Democrats have placed a steady stream of calls to Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio, who opted against running for president nearly a year ago, suggesting that he can emerge as a white knight nominee at a brokered convention — in part on the theory that he may carry his home state in a general election.

“If you could get to a convention and pick Sherrod Brown, that would be wonderful, but that’s more like a novel,” Representative Steve Cohen of Tennessee said.
                          That's the Democratic Party! They would rather have Sniffles than Bernie.

Comment

Not just planet-wide but specifically in this country as well

Comment

still not the same as exterminating 8 million Jews and causing tens of millions of deaths overall.
                              Bozo the Clown has nukes. He could easily turn those numbers into noise.

And that's not counting his exacerbation of climate change. Nobody knows whether his contribution to the death toll will be in hundreds of millions or only tens of millions.

He's a fascist. Fascism leads inevitably to megadeaths because it is fed by right wing fear and fury which are inexhaustible. The only thing reining the body count in is the brakes we still have one him -- and his party and his supporters want to cut the brake lines.

The point is to stop these f-cks before the death camps.

Get it?
                              Last edited by Kepler; 02-27-2020, 11:22 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                You mean Ronald Reagan was lying to me when he said the doors were always open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here?
                                lots of countries with generous social welfare programs have points-based immigration systems. younger and higher skilled people are favored, because they will pay in longer & more before they become a drain on the system

Comment

Working...
                                X