New CCHA Back From The Ashes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    THE NCHC EXIT FEE IS CURRENTLY $1.5 MILLION.

If Miami feels that they can pi** away a million and a half dollars to get out of their "awful" travel situation while still being able to spruce up the amenities to make the place more appealing to recruits, then more power to them.

They made this mess. They're the ones who agreed that Denver, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Grand Forks, and Duluth were much easier places to travel to in the winter instead of Bowling Green, Big Rapids, and Sault Ste. Marie.

They're not leaving the NCHC unless a donor cuts a check for them.
    Or if the NCHC allows them out of the buy out due to an imminent member gaining the approval of all 7 other member schools.

Minnesota State has run their program to the NCHC’s member standards since they were laid out, as MSU wants to show their commitment to joining that league, and that they’re invested long term in hockey — the lack of that the first time around was why they were left in the dark.

Unlikely, but a possibility, nonetheless.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Detroit was a ghost town when the Big 10 played there. But smaller schools will fill it? Let’s stick to on campus games
      The on campus games have been a huge success, and I hope that doesn’t change. The atmosphere for the BGSU/MSU game last year was phenomenal, with a grey Falcon contingent there too.
      AF 99

Comment

• Re: New CCHA Back From The Ashes.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Do you have any idea of the dynamics of college athletics? Having a vote on issues like recruiting rules and player eligibility is a BFD. If your one voice at the table goes “this is BS, we want out” you’re just gonna go “k bye”?
        The person who doesn't understand the dynamics is yourself. I just tried to explain it to you - but you chose to ignore it anyway .... Please tell me how BG can say "we're taking our ball and leaving" - and "force" everyone to go with them? BG has no power in that dynamic. Without Mankato and Bemidji, they are a 5-team league at best - with NO AUTOBID to the NCAAs. Hello.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Detroit was a ghost town when the Big 10 played there. But smaller schools will fill it? Let’s stick to on campus games
          I'm not one way or the other on Detroit as I don't have a horse in this race but I will say the terrible attendance of the B1G there was they did it to themselves. It was like here's the game, come if you want, we don't care.
          The original CCHA did a LOT to make the championship in Detroit an event with the Ren Center decked out as host hotel and discounts on staying there, party with a band and other events along with Awards Night at Fox theater.
          The B1G did NOTHING to accommodate the fans or provide for them!
          I was at the Joe for the last home game ever there between the Wings and Avalanche and the B1G championship game was that evening and the story was floating around the arena that the conference was willing to give free tickets at that point just so the cameras wouldn't show how empty it was that evening. I wasn't going to stay so I never did inquire if that was true.
          Also I'm sure the distance for teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Penn State was a detriment too but you know we did get Alaska fans showing up in the CCHA so just how big a fan are you plays into it as well eh?
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-19-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Northwestern or DePaul would have been a logical choice to test the D1 Hockey waters (UIC will likely never field a team again unfortunately). But, no school capitalized on the meteoric success of the Blackhawks which is now fading. The nearest D1 hockey school is Notre Dame, and they trialed a winter tourney a decade ago in the region and quickly killed that idea.
            What’s the issue with UIC*? In theory, they’re best poised to take advantage of the Chicago market, what with them actually owning their own suitable arena and all. Northwestern and DePaul can’t say that.

*Obviously they don’t have Northwestern resources, but neither does DePaul.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              What’s the issue with UIC*? In theory, they’re best poised to take advantage of the Chicago market, what with them actually owning their own suitable arena and all. Northwestern and DePaul can’t say that.

*Obviously they don’t have Northwestern resources, but neither does DePaul.
              The financial resources play a big part. Ice hockey was a big drain for the little return they got, and with the Bulls in the middle of their dynasty, basketball was what UIC decided to focus on. I believe the arena isn't capable of making ice anymore.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Isn't ASU still without a conference deal? ASU just need several more schools along with the WHCA orphans and they can form a new conference too.
                Maybe it's time for some California schools to join the ranks of college hockey?
                That would be ideal, too little, but too late for the Alaska schools, I think...

Comment

Does ASU really need a conference home? They seem to be doing okay playing as an independent. Yes, they do not have a conference title to play for, but they did make the NCAAs last year and are in the mix this year. They seem to get enough teams that want to go to Arizona to play (16 home games), so it is not like they are on the road constantly like Huntsville was during their independent stay.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    Does ASU really need a conference home? They seem to be doing okay playing as an independent. Yes, they do not have a conference title to play for, but they did make the NCAAs last year and are in the mix this year. They seem to get enough teams that want to go to Arizona to play (16 home games), so it is not like they are on the road constantly like Huntsville was during their independent stay.
                    Somewhat of a side note, but I did notice ASU’s last series of the season is this weekend — so 5 weeks off prior to an NCAA Tournament game.

Maybe that’s a positive and they enjoy that?
                    AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      Somewhat of a side note, but I did notice ASU’s last series of the season is this weekend — so 5 weeks off prior to an NCAA Tournament game.

Maybe that’s a positive and they enjoy that?
                      It’s certainly a double edged sword.

Time to rest and prepare, but no games to stay sharp.

I’m hopeful that the four indies can at least have a scheduling alliance of sorts to help each other out. Hopefully they will have some scheduling support from other schools.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I’m hopeful that the four indies can at least have a scheduling alliance of sorts to help each other out. Hopefully they will have some scheduling support from other schools.
                        I doubt Ohio State would travel up there anymore but I wouldn't mind a non conference weekend with Fairbanks, our old CCHA rival.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Does ASU really need a conference home? They seem to be doing okay playing as an independent.
                          I don't think they're satisfied with that otherwise they wouldn't have tried to join a conference.

Comment

They've got the money, I know what my kid's tuition cost. I feel like I nearly gave them that amount!
                            But that brings up another question, did Miami eventually pay Enrico his $400,000 buyout? They had a "no cause" provision in his contract with one condition tied to his buyout.
                            To get the buyout money the terms were he must actively seek new employment and if he found a job that pays over $100,000 then they owed him nothing. I don't recall who got the money, Miami or Enrico?
                            My other question is what's wrong with Miami's amenities?
                            Miami’s facility, amenities, arena, campus and town are outstanding.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
                              Why not Detroit? All of the Michigan schools have alumni nearby and it would work for Bowling Green, too.
                              Simple. Cost. Availability. Scheduling the GLI has been difficult since both the Wings and Pistons have occupied the Little Caesar’s Arena. Now to expect the Wings and Pistons to give up home dates 3 weeks from the end of the season makes a conference tournament there implausible.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

My other question is what's wrong with Miami's amenities?
                                Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Miami’s facility, amenities, arena, campus and town are outstanding.
                                Hockeybuckeye, I was mistaken. I thought that Goggin did not have any work done since it was constructed in 2006.

Turns out in 2014 the University spent $2.5 Million to renovate Goggin and upgrade its amenities.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X