X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Hey guys, can we come play?!

GFM
    From what I’ve heard it’s going to take some pretty big travel subsidies for that to happen.
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      We haven’t played Wisconsin since the breakup of the oWCHA, and I can’t say anyone’s missed them. I’m not a Big hater, but other than Minnesota, I really don’t have any interest in any of their programs, and they certainly aren’t the national powers some of them used to be.
      Bingo.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: New CCHA Back From The Ashes.

It may, Drew. I get that.

But I have to say this: if you're the nCCHA, and UAH fans raise $500k in four days with a GoFundMe during a freaking pandemic and you say, "Nah, y'all aren't committed enough?" That looks super, super ****ty on you.

I think that every last one of you knows that I know all of the problems that exist with having our program in a conference. I have already begun railing not for a rink but for paying for charters to all road games and for all road opponents to fly here directly. I do not have a sense of what that cost is, but it's just about table stakes. No one wants to change planes once or twice to get here. No one wants to fly to BNA or ATL and then hop a charter bus for 2-4 hours to get here. We don't want to do that outbound — it's why the team often spends 18 hours in a sleeper bus.

If you want to be truly committed, you fly out and you fly people in. People will shut the hell up if they go from their nearest airport that the plane can get into and get dropped right at HSV, where they hop a bus and ride 20 minutes to downtown to stay in a nice hotel a short walk from the rink. You cannot beat that with a stick. Where it goes from there? I don't know. But if you do that, you survive.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

But I have to say this: if you're the nCCHA, and UAH fans raise $500k in four days with a GoFundMe during a freaking pandemic and you say, "Nah, y'all aren't committed enough?" That looks super, super ****ty on you.

I think that every last one of you knows that I know all of the problems that exist with having our program in a conference. I have already begun railing not for a rink but for paying for charters to all road games and for all road opponents to fly here directly. I do not have a sense of what that cost is, but it's just about table stakes. No one wants to change planes once or twice to get here. No one wants to fly to BNA or ATL and then hop a charter bus for 2-4 hours to get here. We don't want to do that outbound — it's why the team often spends 18 hours in a sleeper bus.

If you want to be truly committed, you fly out and you fly people in. People will shut the hell up if they go from their nearest airport that the plane can get into and get dropped right at HSV, where they hop a bus and ride 20 minutes to downtown to stay in a nice hotel a short walk from the rink. You cannot beat that with a stick. Where it goes from there? I don't know. But if you do that, you survive.

GFM
          I feel that UAH has always been committed, arguably more so than many in NCAA D1, arguably more so than many in the WCHA. But just my opinion.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
            I feel that UAH has always been committed, arguably more so than many in NCAA D1, arguably more so than many in the WCHA. But just my opinion.......
            Just stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
              I'm sorry, I blacked out from the lack of oxygen from laughing so hard. Here, let me give you EJ Brophy's number.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

How committed is a university that has cut the program twice in a decade though? There is no denying that when faced with a cut your fan base can raise a big chunk of money in a few days. But there needs to be an actual commitment from the university to quell the doubts about the program’s long term health.
                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                  I wouldn't expect an announcement from the CCHA anytime soon. You need a plan with action, first. Some announcements of a couple big donations, and maybe even a shovel in the dirt. There has to be something sustainable for more than a year. What you guys just did is awesome, but it's not a commitment yet.

Comment

Would the new CCHA even entertain bringing aboard UAH, or just stick to its "original" seven with no geographic outliers, even if it would mean an even # of teams?
                    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                      Would the new CCHA even entertain bringing aboard UAH, or just stick to its "original" seven with no geographic outliers, even if it would mean an even # of teams?
                      I have the same question. Why would UAH be considered for the new CCHA when they weren't in the original group? I am assuming that the other 7 schools don't want them in the conference. Surely UAH would have wanted to be included if that was an option, right? Seems even less likely the new CCHA schools would be interested now. What am I missing here?

Comment

I am glad that UAH is back, and I hope it stays. But there is a flip side to this. Yes $750k in four days has been great, but UAH has been trying to endow the program for years, and the same folks who donated now presumably ignored them before, knowing full well the program was scraping by. It took threatening to yank the program to engage the donor base. At best, that's a mixed signal, regardless of whether the previous fundraising inertia is the fault of the school, alumni, or both. I hope this episode finally engages the resources to put the program on solid ground.

Comment

To play devil's advocate if I'm the nCCHA commish - that tells me that you have a small group of passionate fans, but you lack long-term institutional support.

Comment

I'm sorry, I blacked out from the lack of oxygen from laughing so hard. Here, let me give you EJ Brophy's number.

GFM
                            So didn't Brophy agree to subsidize travel of many WCHA to Huntsville, thus indicating UAH is highly committed to hockey? Didn't fans just raise a nice chunk of money to keep the program alive? Didn't the nCCHA basically kick 3 teams out of the WCHA? I must be missing something here.
                            Please enlighten me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              To play devil's advocate if I'm the nCCHA commish - that tells me that you have a small group of passionate fans, but you lack long-term institutional support.
                              I suspect you are correct, with the current administration.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                                How committed is a university that has cut the program twice in a decade though? There is no denying that when faced with a cut your fan base can raise a big chunk of money in a few days. But there needs to be an actual commitment from the university to quell the doubts about the program’s long term health.
                                Actually, I think the "commitment" that you'll see from UAH is an agreement to fund it at around $500k. The rest is going to be on the people who just made a lot happen in four days. Can they make it $1.5MM instead of $750K? I honestly don't know, Drew. I hope so.

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                                I wouldn't expect an announcement from the CCHA anytime soon. You need a plan with action, first. Some announcements of a couple big donations, and maybe even a shovel in the dirt. There has to be something sustainable for more than a year. What you guys just did is awesome, but it's not a commitment yet.
                                I wouldn't expect anything before January or February at best. The school and the alumni have a lot of work to do. The two alumni leading this each dropped $125k today on this. They're serious businessmen who want to keep this happening. They're going to have to sell the seven nCCHA schools just as much as Darren Dawson will.

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                                I have never understood the hatred of an odd-numbered conference. It has advantages in scheduling. Again, as we learned in 2010, applying to get into the CCHA when we'd make them an even number of teams is no sure thing!

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                                I have the same question. Why would UAH be considered for the new CCHA when they weren't in the original group? I am assuming that the other 7 schools don't want them in the conference. Surely UAH would have wanted to be included if that was an option, right? Seems even less likely the new CCHA schools would be interested now. What am I missing here?
                                The seven schools were right to doubt UAH's institutional commitment. This is a commitment of a different kind. It's about five hours old in being a real deal, so to quote Winston Wolfe, "let's not start ####### each other's ##### yet."

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                                I am glad that UAH is back, and I hope it stays. But there is a flip side to this. Yes $750k in four days has been great, but UAH has been trying to endow the program for years, and the same folks who donated now presumably ignored them before, knowing full well the program was scraping by. It took threatening to yank the program to engage the donor base. At best, that's a mixed signal, regardless of whether the previous fundraising inertia is the fault of the school, alumni, or both. I hope this episode finally engages the resources to put the program on solid ground.
                                The previous AD did very little to push for the pledges made. I think I got one phone call in three years, and I had $4,000 outstanding on my pledge. We have a different AD who's not solely focused on himself (ask any staff member in Spragins Hall and they'll agree with that). That's got to help just a little bit.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I agree. I counter with a question about how many nCCHA schools have a broad donor base above the $250 yearly mark. I honestly don't know! And yes, the University has given us a year. We're going to have to raise $1.5MM for 2021-22 in the next few months for any of this to matter a ****.

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                                So didn't Brophy agree to subsidize travel of many WCHA to Huntsville, thus indicating UAH is highly committed to hockey? Didn't fans just raise a nice chunk of money to keep the program alive? Didn't the nCCHA basically kick 3 teams out of the WCHA? I must be missing something here.
                                Please enlighten me.
                                WHBT. IHTH. HAND. SYO.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X