Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    2-2 Final.

You know, other fans may hate me for saying this, and I don't give a rat's derrierre if they do, but the "C" needs to come off of Wyse's jersey. Immediately. Two points and tie for 7th place were tossed out the window tonight thanks to his "once again", ill-timed hooking penalty with 2:25 left in the game.
    You go Scott...I love a fiesty fan!!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Yeah, if it works out that this team doesn't make it, which is all but a sure thing then I agree it's disappointing. I think the standings bear out that there is a lot of parity in the league. On paper, this team should have ended up in the middle of the pack IMO. Leadership issues, starting with bad untimely penalties, from the top down. Hate to say it but I think that's the case !
      Yep. Bad, untimely penalties from the top!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Anyone wanna talk about the shrink the rink news? Guess the sight lines for the first few rows are going to be lousy..
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

From Fosters interview with UNH president James Dean on the shrinking of the ice sheet at the Whitt
          The downside for fans is that, after the new construction, the sight lines will be affected for those seated in the first few rows along the side boards, according to Dean.

“The sight lines to the rink are not going to be as good,” Dean said, “because the rink has shrunk and so what’s going on just next to the boards won’t be visible.

“I could never figure out why it was going to be so expensive to fix that, but it turned out the proposal was to basically bring in concrete and raise the level of every seat in the arena — which was an additional 4 to 5 million dollars — so the people could see over the boards which are now farther away from them. We decided not to do that.”
          https://www.fosters.com/sports/20200...face-to-shrink
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Filip Engaras what ifs...what if he could have played last year..what if he hadn't missed 9 games this year? Excellent player so glad he stayed with it. Works hard every shift. Looking for great things from him the next 2 seasons!!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Very disappointed that there isn't a long term plan to address the gap that will exist between the first row of seats and the glass after the resize. Even if they don't have the funds in place to do it this year I'd have expected them to have a plan in place to address it next year/in two years/three years/etc, instead it's going forward with no fix.
              Even the passed over $4m-$5m proposal discussed in the article would have just raised every seat higher, not put any seats closer.
              Also fear this gap will become a de facto walkway. As if the worse sightlines aren't enough, enjoy folks walking in front of the glass while you're trying to watch.

At a time when we are struggling with attendance is it really a good idea to make the game day experience worse?
              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                Very disappointed that there isn't a long term plan to address the gap that will exist between the first row of seats and the glass after the resize. Even if they don't have the funds in place to do it this year I'd have expected them to have a plan in place to address it next year/in two years/three years/etc, instead it's going forward with no fix.
                Even the passed over $4m-$5m proposal discussed in the article would have just raised every seat higher, not put any seats closer.
                Also fear this gap will become a de facto walkway. As if the worse sightlines aren't enough, enjoy folks walking in front of the glass while you're trying to watch.

At a time when we are struggling with attendance is it really a good idea to make the game day experience worse?
                They ought to instead just drop the ice surface 4 or 5 feet. Then you could change the name from the Whitt to the Pitt
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post

Unfortunately, too many focus groups equate "game-day experience" with ear-splitting awful music and inane between-periods contests.

Comment

Funny, the fan experience was really good when they recruited well. But I guess throwing a couple of million is the cost for competing for the top 4 nowadays -- well, except for U.Conn which is recruiting well (recently) and winning without a home rink, so, nevermind.

Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

This whole process scares me. As a front row STH since day 1 I am not it favor of the size shrinking. They already did it once. Also if they have a walkway between the first row and the glass ,hello Merrimack and going nuts trying to see the game. Note to self, change seat.
                      Last night was such a must win and it felt like we might somehow do it. So sad that we took a penalty with 2:24 left. You knew they were going to pull the goalie and we just make it that much easier.
                      Bright spots included good goaltending, occasional strong play that highlighted what we are capable of but can't seem to sustain. Last night's shoutout goes to Joe Hankinson. For a kid with probable 20 - 30 second shifts all year he really showed some promise. He looked comfortable, made good decisions and held his own defensively. No I'm not saying he is a future go to guy, just nice to see. If we used a serviceable 4th line like the better clubs can we wouldn't be so susceptible to late game fades.
                      Go Cats!

Comment

Guess the jumbotron wasn't the recruiting weapon it was supposed to be
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I haven't been around much on here, and haven't gotten to a ton of games since my work takes me away on weekends but this is atrocious. Obviously nothing draws a crowd like winning but the sight lines at the Whittemore Center have been as good as they get for hockey. I know we were talking about shrinking the rink as long as 15 years ago. I personally like the idea of a 200x90 surface but it will hurt the fan experience. Having the front row five feet from the glass on either side will be awful, and it will be like the Worcester Centrum for awful sight lines. I think I read in the article they looked into raising the seats (right idea) but it would cost an additional 4-5mil... I'd say don't do it until you can afford to do it right but what do I know. I also know they waited until they had to replace the aged compressors which makes sense but still. grrrr...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            Guess the jumbotron wasn't the recruiting weapon it was supposed to be
                            I was for the Jumbotron before I was against it. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Don't get all political on us. Not the place for it

I say we get a win tonight to get us back in the hunt
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                So we should have gotten one of those flip the numbers thing? You know..like they use in PE classes? 😆
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X