Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
    I don’t want a “decent man” running the country. I want a leader. Sorry, Obama was a disaster.
    No apologies needed...I know, all that health care was a disaster. People will live thanks to it...or die from a lack of it....during this health crisis.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      No apologies needed...I know, all that health care was a disaster. People will live thanks to it...or die from a lack of it....during this health crisis.
      I live in NY. A state that has a large number of “wuhan flu” cases. The state has 3200 beds reserved for intensive care. Why is the number so low? Because Government Medicare only allows the hospitals to have that many beds. Keep pushing for a national healthcare system.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Ya….exactly how I feel about when I can even for a second, listen to Hannity...and, since we are posting things from our own slants, this is one issue regarding the H1N1 flu (which I got, it was awful...) that I listened to because my husband watches Hannity (yes I have to share our one tv...it is not easy)

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...health-emerge/

To say that Barack Obama did a lousy job handling this outbreak as opposed to Trump is handling it...? This was the gist of his (Hannity) reporting. Oh, and btw? I was not a fan of many things his (Obama) Presidency, but you can at least say this...he was/still is... a decent man.
        For the record Ref, I can't take Hannity. Ferrchrissakes, get another TV in that house of yours:/
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          I don’t want a “decent man” running the country. I want a leader. Sorry, Obama was a disaster.
          +1 Backatcha scoreboard

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            For the record Ref, I can't take Hannity. Ferrchrissakes, get another TV in that house of yours:/
            I’m not a Hannity fan either. But I do like Laura Ingraham. She’s a straight shooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              I’m not a Hannity fan either. But I do like Laura Ingraham. She’s a straight shooter.
              Yeah. I like her too and Tucker Carlson.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Haha could not agree more!!! Esp when my B's are in lol working on it!!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Group Think occurs when individual thinking is undermined to stay within the comfort zone of the consensus. Dissent by group members may be discouraged and unquestioned belief in the group's competence surfaces. I encountered this phenomena in mountaineering. It shows up when the weather turns bad, or the avalanche/crevasse threat increases, or when members of the climbing team show symptoms of altitude sickness. Diverse opinions occur concerning whether to turn back or keep climbing.

Arguments can take place surrounding what to do and if the conversation deteriorates then opinions concerning fortitude and irresponsibility surface. Should the decision be made to climb or retreat. There is a potential for error in either decision. In the end it comes down to which error a person is willing to make. In hypothesis testing they call it a Type I or a Type II error. Do you want to head down and risk not gaining the summit, or do you want to head up and risk personal injuries, particularly on the subsequent descent.

I suspect there are similarities in operation during this CoVid 19 pandemic. Which error do you want to make? Do you want to believe that social isolation is warranted and it is not foolish behavior fueled by risk aversive individuals, or do you want to believe that social isolation is unwarranted and it is foolish behavior fueled by risk aversive individuals?

In a perfect world all mountaineers make the right decision and all return alive. In a perfect world.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                    Group Think occurs when individual thinking is undermined to stay within the comfort zone of the consensus. Dissent by group members may be discouraged and unquestioned belief in the group's competence surfaces. I encountered this phenomena in mountaineering. It shows up when the weather turns bad, or the avalanche/crevasse threat increases, or when members of the climbing team show symptoms of altitude sickness. Diverse opinions occur concerning whether to turn back or keep climbing.

Arguments can take place surrounding what to do and if the conversation deteriorates then opinions concerning fortitude and irresponsibility surface. Should the decision be made to climb or retreat. There is a potential for error in either decision. In the end it comes down to which error a person is willing to make. In hypothesis testing they call it a Type I or a Type II error. Do you want to head down and risk not gaining the summit, or do you want to head up and risk personal injuries, particularly on the subsequent descent.

I suspect there are similarities in operation during this CoVid 19 pandemic. Which error do you want to make? Do you want to believe that social isolation is warranted and it is not foolish behavior fueled by risk aversive individuals, or do you want to believe that social isolation is unwarranted and it is foolish behavior fueled by risk aversive individuals?

In a perfect world all mountaineers make the right decision and all return alive. In a perfect world.
                    That was a really cool story...fits the current scenario. While all the school around me are closing, we are about to make that decision...who knew in my 40 year tenure as a teacher this would be facing us. It's wild really, but, all part of the life story isn't it....
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post

Glad I checked in, and thanks for the post, sonar. I think this kind of largely distills things pertaining to where we are with this current situation. It probably depends on everyone's personal life experience. I can say, speaking only for myself, that once upon a time, I was a risk averse person. There were some landmark events earlier in my life that changed my perspective, only because after certain observations and realizations, and some hard decisions (at the time), I re-wired how I thought about things involving risk. That change has led to a lot of positive outcomes (and very few negatives - far less than I ever imagined) which I frankly never would have experienced had I taken the risk averse route. Does that color my thinking here? Absolutely.

The term "better safe than sorry", to me … you might as well drag fingernails across a chalkboard.

"Fortune favors the brave" is too trite - plus, the modern day takes on concepts like "bravery" and "heroism" have been watered down so much it's nauseating - but its cousin "The harder I work, the luckier I get" feels like a better, more genuine fit, if there's one rule to how I tend to do things.

I'm far from a reckless person, and I've said on here before that if I had symptoms, I would "do the right thing" and isolate. But I don't, so I want to live my life. And I'm also a keen observer of behavioral trends, and the latest endless stream of supposedly "existential threats" has got my BS detector working OT. And we've got an irresponsible, horrendously partisan MSM, joined at the hip with unelected government operatives at every turn, pounding out these narratives, one after the other, ad nauseum.

We were fed 3+ years of Russia-Russia-Russia. Baseless. An alleged "whistleblower" who used to work for Joe Biden - and who mysteriously never surfaced - was the basis for the Ukraine crap. Again, baseless. 50% of about 50 US deaths to date from one (1) nursing home facility in Washington State … and all of this crap is timed to hit the fan immediately after the Dems' race for the nomination has been virtually decided? Color me skeptical. Very skeptical. Over and out.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Glad I checked in, and thanks for the post, sonar. I think this kind of largely distills things pertaining to where we are with this current situation. It probably depends on everyone's personal life experience. I can say, speaking only for myself, that once upon a time, I was a risk averse person. There were some landmark events earlier in my life that changed my perspective, only because after certain observations and realizations, and some hard decisions (at the time), I re-wired how I thought about things involving risk. That change has led to a lot of positive outcomes (and very few negatives - far less than I ever imagined) which I frankly never would have experienced had I taken the risk averse route. Does that color my thinking here? Absolutely.

The term "better safe than sorry", to me … you might as well drag fingernails across a chalkboard.

"Fortune favors the brave" is too trite - plus, the modern day takes on concepts like "bravery" and "heroism" have been watered down so much it's nauseating - but its cousin "The harder I work, the luckier I get" feels like a better, more genuine fit, if there's one rule to how I tend to do things.

I'm far from a reckless person, and I've said on here before that if I had symptoms, I would "do the right thing" and isolate. But I don't, so I want to live my life. And I'm also a keen observer of behavioral trends, and the latest endless stream of supposedly "existential threats" has got my BS detector working OT. And we've got an irresponsible, horrendously partisan MSM, joined at the hip with unelected government operatives at every turn, pounding out these narratives, one after the other, ad nauseum.

We were fed 3+ years of Russia-Russia-Russia. Baseless. An alleged "whistleblower" who used to work for Joe Biden - and who mysteriously never surfaced - was the basis for the Ukraine crap. Again, baseless. 50% of about 50 US deaths to date from one (1) nursing home facility in Washington State … and all of this crap is timed to hit the fan immediately after the Dems' race for the nomination has been virtually decided? Color me skeptical. Very skeptical. Over and out.
                        You are one wild and crraaazzzyyyy guy (said in my best Steve Martin imitation) Daredevil you...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Live free or Die. Guess it applies.
                          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I'm far from a reckless person, and I've said on here before that if I had symptoms, I would "do the right thing" and isolate. But I don't, so I want to live my life.
                            OK, so live you're life. Nobody's stopping you. You actually only want to bit** and moan about other people's choices and claim its victimizing you in some incredibly abstract way -- the exact opposite of what you claim to want our culture to be.

As I noted before, it seems you are more into a political prism through which you view facts, and becuase this one is hurting your President, you are ignoring facts and uncritically putting up random talking points. That's the exact opposite of being a critical thinker you claim to be. If you could actually back up a claim that the virus is just a cold, or that global warming is a hoax, then kudos to you. But bablylonbee and some 70s non scientist tells me you just want a fact so you buy into anything that says it, even if that fact is ludicrous. I mean, if even the President has gotten past the point of his virus is a hoax claim, a critical thinker would re-evaluate why you bought into a faulty premise, and more importantly, wonder why the President was pushing an obvious falsehood.

I mean, tell the truth, did you actually think about the flu/Covid comparison before posting it, or did you post it because it told you what you wanted to hear?
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-14-2020, 07:26 PM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

So I went to the grocery store today, needed a few things for a group of friends coming over tonight. I missed the morning mayhem and just saw the aftermath. No shredded cheese, toilet paper, bread, cooking oil(?), cans of beans, frozen vegetables or cleaning products. Really a little crazy, and from my perspective very funny. That stuff will all be restocked in relatively short order.

That problem is vast parts of our society regularly abandons reason for madness. I blame "emotional media", which is just about all of it plus social media and then limited critical thinking skills. I am amazed anybody can listen to Hannity or Maddow and not realize that truth is somewhere in between.
                              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                So I went to the grocery store today, needed a few things for a group of friends coming over tonight. I missed the morning mayhem and just saw the aftermath. No shredded cheese, toilet paper, bread, cooking oil(?), cans of beans, frozen vegetables or cleaning products. Really a little crazy, and from my perspective very funny. That stuff will all be restocked in relatively short order.

That problem is vast parts of our society regularly abandons reason for madness. I blame "emotional media", which is just about all of it plus social media and then limited critical thinking skills. I am amazed anybody can listen to Hannity or Maddow and not realize that truth is somewhere in between.
                                To yours, JB - food for thought on something I've increasingly encountered in my day job (I suspect others on this thread have as well), which is referred to as "reptile theory". There's plenty of information out there, and I'll provide a link for anyone who might be interested to give you a taste of what's involved. In summary … the theory is that the reptilian complex - apparently the oldest portions of the human brain - governs our most basic life functions (i.e. survival), and when there is a perception that survival is threatened, this part of the brain takes over and overpowers more advanced but newer brain functions, such as logic and reason.

https://www.litigationinsights.com/r...ow-to-counter/

From my standpoint, this is an extension of sonar's observations just the other day. Behavioral stuff.

It's hard not to believe this isn't a factor in what's going on now. But that's just one man's opinion.

++++++++++

FWIW on the political feedback of others in the last 24 hours, I can usually take Hannity in small doses, and this issue (COVID-19 a/k/a Wuhan Flu) definitely isn't his strong suit. Ingraham has been better, while Tucker has seemingly let his reptilian complex seep in a little more than I'd expect to see from him. But hey, we're all different, it's far from groupthink, and I'm good with that.

I see this morning President Trump tested negative for the virus, after all of the Dem's house media's demands. Interesting that no such demands have been foisted upon the Burlington Bolshevik, nor the guy who can't tell the difference between his wife and his sister - who knew Biden was a UMaine-iac? Tonight's Dem debate should be a hysterical virtue-signaling pander-fest.

https://babylonbee.com/news/bernie-w...per-production

https://babylonbee.com/news/joe-bide...he-coronavirus
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X