Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Bunyon took a promotion at Westford Academy, where he went from being a PE teacher to their AD.

https://westford.wickedlocal.com/spo...es-westford-ad

Doesn't say that he no longer officiates games, but until recently, I wasn't perusing that closely.

FWIW there were several links towards the end of my Effingwoods Hockey Almanac that went dead within 24 hours of my posting them, so I'm sure the folks further up the food chain have taken notice, and taken steps to remove outdated content that shows certain folks in less-than-optimal light. I have no axe to grind with any of these guys, but transparency would be nice.
    Try running the URLs through archive.org to pull up a saved copy.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
      Try running the URLs through archive.org to pull up a saved copy.
      If there is no tournament then does the streak continue next year if we make the tournament? Paranoia wreaking havoc on all these tournaments. Feel bad for the seniors who can’t finish the season. Think the NCAA offers another year?

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
        If there is no tournament then does the streak continue next year if we make the tournament? Paranoia wreaking havoc on all these tournaments. Feel bad for the seniors who can’t finish the season. Think the NCAA offers another year?
        I want to feel badly for them, too … except this is basically the world they've grown up in, where all you ever hear is "safety first" and you're not allowed to live your life freely, ever. Most of them won't even notice what they've missed. This is par for their course. They've been conditioned for this.

To think, 80 years ago, the British people were asked to live their normal lives during the day, and see shelter in the subways at night while the Germans rained down bombings on their homes and places of work. On our side of the Atlantic, we were told the "only thing we have to fear, is fear itself".

Now, the advice we're getting is about "social distancing". How downright inspirational.

We've just gotten so, so soft over the last few generations ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

For the last person leaving NCAA headquarters tonight, please don't forget to shut off the lights.

Happy refunding!!
          UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I want to feel badly for them, too … except this is basically the world they've grown up in, where all you ever hear is "safety first" and you're not allowed to live your life freely, ever. Most of them won't even notice what they've missed. This is par for their course. They've been conditioned for this.

To think, 80 years ago, the British people were asked to live their normal lives during the day, and see shelter in the subways at night while the Germans rained down bombings on their homes and places of work. On our side of the Atlantic, we were told the "only thing we have to fear, is fear itself".

Now, the advice we're getting is about "social distancing". How downright inspirational.

I am normally with you. Not this time. This is a math problem. We don't have the medical bandwidth necessary based on the exponential growth seen in China and Italy. Italy has more doctors and hospital beds per person than we do and they are now making decisions who gets the ventilator and maybe lives vs who just dies because they are out...

However as the math plays out our medical services have a chance if we can just slow this down a little. With a virus like this that does mean "social distancing". Merkel is probably correct by the time this is over 70% of us will probably have it, a smaller percent will have it enough to be tested, a smaller percent still will fill our hospitals beyond capacity and some will spend 10-12 days on a ventilator and maybe still die.

Unless you think it is better to cull the herd of the old and unfortunate that get a bad case... I wouldn't want to make the choice between two people asphyxiating who gets the chance to live and who dies... Would you?

My reaction here isn't emotional, it is a math problem, plus the sobering unfortunate experience working fatal car accidents.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

As a side note. After the first month of the Blitz the Germans bombed at night. So the British Government had people in the subway at night when it was dangerous and go out during the day when it wasn't.

Sounds like the Biltz equivalent of social distancing... Big groups together leads to lots of transmission so don't get in big groups where it is dangerous.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

https://babylonbee.com/news/nations-...tion-forbidden

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                  I am normally with you. Not this time. This is a math problem. We don't have the medical bandwidth necessary based on the exponential growth seen in China and Italy. Italy has more doctors and hospital beds per person than we do and they are now making decisions who gets the ventilator and maybe lives vs who just dies because they are out...

However as the math plays out our medical services have a chance if we can just slow this down a little. With a virus like this that does mean "social distancing". Merkel is probably correct by the time this is over 70% of us will probably have it, a smaller percent will have it enough to be tested, a smaller percent still will fill our hospitals beyond capacity and some will spend 10-12 days on a ventilator and maybe still die.

Unless you think it is better to cull the herd of the old and unfortunate that get a bad case... I wouldn't want to make the choice between two people asphyxiating who gets the chance to live and who dies... Would you?

My reaction here isn't emotional, it is a math problem, plus the sobering unfortunate experience working fatal car accidents.
                  Excellent post...
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• That is a completely different issue and there are plenty of others, like kids preference for texting even if in the same room. On the plus side the rate of teen pregnancy is way down.

Comment

I never suspected you and I could be on the same page Chuck, but you are spot on. We are indeed becoming a nation of sheep.
                      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Excellent post...
                        +1
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                          I never suspected you and I could be on the same page Chuck, but you are spot on. We are indeed becoming a nation of sheep.
                          All is well in non-sheep land until one of their sheep family falls ill. Then they 180 faster than Dick Cheney decided to support same sex marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

See, I don't see this as a "math problem", JB. Too often, I think we use math (and by extension. probabilities) to justify what we do, and all I'm seeing here so far is a lot of folks speculating about worst-case scenarios that haven't come to pass, and most are saying likely won't come to pass. But we still see folks seemingly having the need to scare the bejeezus out of everyone to make whatever point they're trying to make. So I say it's a behavioral problem, using probability as a crutch. And if behavior is always going to be panic-stricken when confronted by something unusual, then we are in for some tough sledding in the future.

You've raised the issue of fatal car accidents (something I also deal with in my profession) - let's "work the math" with that. Over the last few years, the average number of US traffic fatalities has been in the mid-30,000's. That's an average of roughly 100 per day, every day, for years now. Do we decide that driving is too dangerous, and ban driving? Of course not. People have lives to live, things to do, etc. It's a weighted risk. And most people, with free will, accept that risk every day, everywhere. Life is risky.

To date, using the most updated CDC data I've been able to find, there have been 41 COVID-19 deaths in the US. I think most have been in Washington State, and in that state, a huge chunk of their deaths apparently arise from a single (1) nursing home, obviously with a high concentration of known heightened risk factors for the disease. World-wide, there are now at least 5,080 deaths, which includes hot-spots like China, Iran and Italy - and admittedly could be underreported to a degree. Fine. But the number no one wants to talk about is that 70,437 have already officially been deemed "recovered", and the alarmists admit the vast majority of folks who have been diagnosed but not recovered (yet) will recover. And life will eventually go on.

As a matter of personal disclosure, I'm at an age which is on the precipice of being an increased risk factor, although I'm lucky enough not to have any of the conditions that would lead to a heightened risk. So I'm definitely paying attention, but I'm not changing the way I live my life - except when people start prohibiting and restricting what I can do. That's annoying. I don't have any symptoms - and if I did, I would responsibly stay home and deal with it. But I don't. Yet my life now feels like I do.

There are a lot of people I know who are frustrated by this nanny-state mentality we are slipping into deeper and deeper as the years pass. But they're afraid to say boo. I'm tired of being one of them. "Give me liberty or give me death", I say. 'Cuz right now my "liberty" is not feeling very free nor lively.

I'd prefer to live my life now, thanks; I'll take a "hard pass" on multiple dress rehearsals for death.

JMHO.

Comment

See, I don't see this as a "math problem", JB. Too often, I think we use math (and by extension. probabilities) to justify what we do, and all I'm seeing here so far is a lot of folks speculating about worst-case scenarios that haven't come to pass, and most are saying likely won't come to pass. But we still see folks seemingly having the need to scare the bejeezus out of everyone to make whatever point they're trying to make. So I say it's a behavioral problem, using probability as a crutch. And if behavior is always going to be panic-stricken when confronted by something unusual, then we are in for some tough sledding in the future.
                              Yeah, math. So inaccurate. One man's caution is another man's panic.

You've raised the issue of fatal car accidents (something I also deal with in my profession) - let's "work the math" with that. Over the last few years, the average number of US traffic fatalities has been in the mid-30,000's. That's an average of roughly 100 per day, every day, for years now. Do we decide that driving is too dangerous, and ban driving? Of course not. People have lives to live, things to do, etc. It's a weighted risk. And most people, with free will, accept that risk every day, everywhere. Life is risky.
                              Seat belts, air bags, collision avoidance systems. All for wussies. if we were a real democracy there would be disable options for all of these anti-liberty features.

To date, using the most updated CDC data I've been able to find, there have been 41 COVID-19 deaths in the US. I think most have been in Washington State, and in that state, a huge chunk of their deaths apparently arise from a single (1) nursing home, obviously with a high concentration of known heightened risk factors for the disease. World-wide, there are now at least 5,080 deaths, which includes hot-spots like China, Iran and Italy - and admittedly could be underreported to a degree. Fine. But the number no one wants to talk about is that 70,437 have already officially been deemed "recovered", and the alarmists admit the vast majority of folks who have been diagnosed but not recovered (yet) will recover. And life will eventually go on.
                              Bold one: key point.
                              Bold two: don't want any more of these.
                              Bold three: do want more of these OR have a lower number because fewer are exposed.

As a matter of personal disclosure, I'm at an age which is on the precipice of being an increased risk factor, although I'm lucky enough not to have any of the conditions that would lead to a heightened risk. So I'm definitely paying attention, but I'm not changing the way I live my life - except when people start prohibiting and restricting what I can do. That's annoying. I don't have any symptoms - and if I did, I would responsibly stay home and deal with it. But I don't. Yet my life now feels like I do.
                              Me too. I am enjoying a personal choice WFH day today because 2/3 of our company is just back from a conference in Vegas and I have a boss who understands cautious reality.

There are a lot of people I know who are frustrated by this nanny-state mentality we are slipping into deeper and deeper as the years pass. But they're afraid to say boo. I'm tired of being one of them. "Give me liberty or give me death", I say. 'Cuz right now my "liberty" is not feeling very free nor lively.
                              Be careful what you ask for, we'd miss you.

I'd prefer to live my life now, thanks; I'll take a "hard pass" on multiple dress rehearsals for death.
                              There are no dress rehearsals. It just happens.

Comment

Chuck you and others are correct in identifying the media as typically over playing any issue that will garner more reader/viewership, but math is very much the critical variable here. The problem is it isn't simple addition, it is multiplication. It simple terms for anyone who works, as in any industry from education to manufacturing, it is about capacity. In this case the capacity to respond. How real and significant will not be fully known and understand for a while but anyone with any sense should see that this can very easily overcome our current medical capacity on lots of different fronts. And the absence of a better ability to respond is a national embarrassment! The wealthiest country on earth and we lag behind in so many critical health care categories. Yeah we need an army and law enforcement but we need much better universal health care to rise to a priority just as we need infrastructure etc. We can all have different opinions on lots of things but come on .....

Comment

Working...
                                X