Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Besides Hughes and Brendan Kelleher, a linesman and Timmy Kelleher’s brother, who else has BC ties?
    Kevin Shea … second in command to Father Leahy? Holy Cross grad, but he's been working in the BC President's office for about 15 years now?? I think he counts as one of youze guys …

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/cam...president.html

If you need a more detailed connect-the-dots description, check out the latest WIS thread Effingwoods Hockey Almanac to see how he gets regular non-BC assignments … and also on Dave Lezenski, another BC guy in charge of the HEA Wonen's officials.

So once the new commish starts bringing in his UNH buddies to officiate games and handle league-wide assignments, we'll have no bellyaching from you folks, now will we?!?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Chuck, given you're not happy with the state of officiating in the league and your own coaching situation up in Durham, wouldn't the easy solution be to hire Brian Pouliot to just beat up the officials? I hear he is available.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Yes, believe he scored the GWG of a 3rd period comeback win over the Mildcats. Poor Ty Conklin lost his mind after it.
        Dale, are you out there? That’s the night you and I both got kicked out of Conte. For those who weren’t there, our offense was to go up to the glass and yell at ref, no profanity. I drove down to Cleveland Circle and watched the rest of the second period at the late lamented Ground Round, the worst excuse for a restaurant in North America. I then drive back, walked back into Conte with no problem and watched the third period meltdown by the BC trophy case.

Speaking of a goalie meltdown, one of my favorite BC-UNH games of all time was Mark Mowers sophomore year, the first year of the Whit. BC was on a power play, with Marty Reasoner at the left point. He fiddles with the puck, Mowers picks his pocket, streaks in and scores. Later in the game BC is on another power play with Reasoner on the point again. Mowers is forechecking and as Reasoner starts to make a move, my friend John W yells out, “Look our Marty, here he comes again.” Sure enough Mark again picks his pocket, skates in and roofs another one past the goalie. The goalie is now really po’d, skates over to the sideboards, slams his stick against the glass and breaks it.

I wish I could remember the goalie’s name because his real claim to fame came when Steve Cedorchuck, the former coach at that point and who had doled out more scholarships than he had available, called the goalie’s father up. The father was the premier dental surgeon in Alberta, big bucks, so Cedor called to ask if he would pay his kid’s way at BC. It wasn’t long after that that he was fired and that Mike Millbury was offered the job but declined after seeing the mess the program was in. And that’s how Jerry York got the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          Dale, are you out there? That’s the night you and I both got kicked out of Conte. For those who weren’t there, our offense was to go up to the glass and yell at ref, no profanity. I drove down to Cleveland Circle and watched the rest of the second period at the late lamented Ground Round, the worst excuse for a restaurant in North America. I then drive back, walked back into Conte with no problem and watched the third period meltdown by the BC trophy case.

Speaking of a goalie meltdown, one of my favorite BC-UNH games of all time was Mark Mowers sophomore year, the first year of the Whit. BC was on a power play, with Marty Reasoner at the left point. He fiddles with the puck, Mowers picks his pocket, streaks in and scores. Later in the game BC is on another power play with Reasoner on the point again. Mowers is forechecking and as Reasoner starts to make a move, my friend John W yells out, “Look our Marty, here he comes again.” Sure enough Mark again picks his pocket, skates in and roofs another one past the goalie. The goalie is now really po’d, skates over to the sideboards, slams his stick against the glass and breaks it.

I wish I could remember the goalie’s name because his real claim to fame came when Steve Cedorchuck, the former coach at that point and who had doled out more scholarships than he had available, called the goalie’s father up. The father was the premier dental surgeon in Alberta, big bucks, so Cedor called to ask if he would pay his kid’s way at BC. It wasn’t long after that that he was fired and that Mike Millbury was offered the job but declined after seeing the mess the program was in. And that’s how Jerry York got the job.
          Great story, Greg! Wish that I had been at the Whitt for that one. BC goalie must have been Greg Taylor. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

Fantastic story … I may have been at that game as well, IIRC UNH laid the wood to BC on that night, York's second year post-Cedorchuk, and Reasoner's frosh season. It was also a losing season for UNH, but one that laid the foundations for the run that would follow over the next 7 seasons. Snives, I'm sure you were correct about the BC goalie being Greg Taylor, who also was the BC goalie in the March '94 finale in double OT when Bogie closed the place down in double OT. BTW that '94 playoff game marked "Count" Cedorchuk's final game in charge at BC. Taylor was a pretty decent goalie, but played behind some terrible BC teams.

Good times, too bad that York guy came along and ruined all the fun ...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Chuck, given you're not happy with the state of officiating in the league and your own coaching situation up in Durham, wouldn't the easy solution be to hire Brian Pouliot to just beat up the officials? I hear he is available.

I guess I find it ironic that after a generation's worth of ragging on BU, and how Jack Parker supposedly had all the refs in his back pocket … it turns out that it's their rivals from The Heights that have been using the ranks of the HEA on-ice officials as some kind of job placement slash patronage racket for underemployed alums or bored high-ranking administrators from the corner office.

I mean, seriously … what if UNH President Jim Dean or his right-hand man were working a side hustle as an on-ice hockey official, and turned up officiating games at BC or BU or UMaine or UVM, and no one bothered to disclose that, hey, the guy in stripes down there just happens to be running the show (or second in command in the President's office) in Durham? Right to know??

It's pretty much what happens every time Shea takes to the ice to officiate a HEA game, even if he does skip the BC games. Is the league that desperate for on-ice officials? If Shea is really "into it" and enjoys doing it, can't he ask for ECAC assignments instead?

Throw in Hughes, Kelleher, and who knows who else, and I think it's fair to ask questions, don't you?

Comment

Good time to shoutout my dentist, Brian Shea. Brother of Kevin. Have talked to him about his brother before but now I will need to ask for more stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Fantastic story … I may have been at that game as well, IIRC UNH laid the wood to BC on that night, York's second year post-Cedorchuk, and Reasoner's frosh season. It was also a losing season for UNH, but one that laid the foundations for the run that would follow over the next 7 seasons. Snives, I'm sure you were correct about the BC goalie being Greg Taylor, who also was the BC goalie in the March '94 finale in double OT when Bogie closed the place down in double OT. BTW that '94 playoff game marked "Count" Cedorchuk's final game in charge at BC. Taylor was a pretty decent goalie, but played behind some terrible BC teams.

Good times, too bad that York guy came along and ruined all the fun ...
                  And, two years later both teams were in the FF at the Garden. I sold my finals ticket at face to a BC fan after UNH got eliminated by the Wolverines in the semi's.

Comment

This Pouliot thing is a mess. Just saw the fight on Fox and Friends. Thank goodness they didn't make any reference or connection to UNH.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      I'd have pushed to retire his number to the rafters had he done this to Hache during his UNH days 😂😂
                      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                        I'd have pushed to retire his number to the rafters had he done this to Hache during his UNH days ����
                        Old pal Hache has proven the Peter Principle applies again, as he's now the OHL's Director of Officiating - a job he's apparently pretty much held since he left HEA over a decade ago:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-h...alSubdomain=ca

Those who can, do. Those who can't …

Comment

Have Bunyon and Benedetto officially been put out to pasture? Grav is still around. At one point the Hockey East site had a list of officials including their full time jobs. Probably not smart. Looks like that page/info no longer exists.

Comment

I remember the night he got hit in the head with a puck! Not ever good but it did seemed to have a little poetic justice running down it. I feel that was his last year in HE. He was such a horrible ref, I'm still shaking my head thinking about him.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Have Bunyon and Benedetto officially been put out to pasture? Grav is still around. At one point the Hockey East site had a list of officials including their full time jobs. Probably not smart. Looks like that page/info no longer exists.
                              Bunyon took a promotion at Westford Academy, where he went from being a PE teacher to their AD.

https://westford.wickedlocal.com/spo...es-westford-ad

Doesn't say that he no longer officiates games, but until recently, I wasn't perusing that closely.

FWIW there were several links towards the end of my Effingwoods Hockey Almanac that went dead within 24 hours of my posting them, so I'm sure the folks further up the food chain have taken notice, and taken steps to remove outdated content that shows certain folks in less-than-optimal light. I have no axe to grind with any of these guys, but transparency would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                If Shea is really "into it" and enjoys doing it, can't he ask for ECAC assignments instead?
                                Well, not that it has anything to do with your point, but each league probably has its own commissioner who assigns the refs. I know it was that way when I reffed basketball. So he would have to establish ECAC "connections."

Comment

Working...
                                X