Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    As I said, it's the quality of the players, not the size of the ice surface. I'm telling you, if they actually do this, it's going to make the arena and the rink look like a joke and, if anything, be a detriment to recruiting. It is beyond incredulous how the UNH administration's view of the hockey program has changed in the last 30 years. To think, in 1992 the UNH Board of Trustees voted to float bonds to build a 6,000 seat state of the art arena, built to the specifications of the athletic department and coaching staff's desires. It opened to rave reviews in November, 1995, with full page spreads on how wonderful the arena would be, not only for the hockey program, but the Seacoast and New Hampshire economy in general. The arena sold out more often that not for the next 10-15 years as UNH found continued success with Hockey East championships and NCAA appearances. Then, somewhere around 2012, everything changed. Whatever the overall athletic budget was, more and more of it seemed to be spent on football, more and more of the fundraising including the bogus librarian epiphany. The FOH were kicked to the curb and now we have this foolish venture. I'm telling you again, it will make UNH the laughing stock of the league.
    +1
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      With all your chatter about UNH potentially re-sizing the ice surface, was wondering if there was a reason you are all aware of as to why they made it that large in the first place.
      Bad timing. Big sheets were all the rage and most new college arenas would have them (or so they thought).
      Are you guys brothers?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        2nd lowest goal scoring in league play, just ahead of Vermont, and 9th place. Clearly the rink is the issue.
        Hockey East Men - 2019-2020 Standings
        Conference Only Overall
        Pts GP W L T Win% GF- GA GP W L T Win% GF- GA
        1 Boston College 32 22 16- 6- 0 .727 88- 44 32 23- 8- 1 .734 131- 67
        2 Massachusetts 28 23 13- 8- 2 .609 68- 49 33 20-11- 2 .636 106- 67
        3 UMass Lowell 27 23 11- 7- 5 .587 57- 59 33 17-10- 6 .606 87- 78
        4 UConn 26 23 12- 9- 2 .565 70- 72 33 15-14- 4 .515 101-103
        5 Maine 25 23 11- 9- 3 .543 55- 56 33 17-11- 5 .591 88- 75
        6 Boston University 23 22 9- 8- 5 .523 65- 62 32 12-12- 8 .500 99- 96
        Providence 23 23 10-10- 3 .500 70- 62 33 16-11- 6 .576 102- 77
        8 Northeastern 21 22 10-11- 1 .477 64- 67 32 17-12- 3 .578 96- 88
        9 New Hampshire 20 22 9-11- 2 .455 50- 64 32 15-14- 3 .516 87- 92
        10 Merrimack 17 24 7-14- 3 .354 63- 77 34 9-22- 3 .309 85-123
        11 Vermont 8 23 2-17- 4 .174 44- 82 33 5-22- 6 .242 59- 99

2018-19
        8th place, 8th place in goals
        2017-18
        11th place, last in goals
        2016-17
        10th place, 4th!!!! in league scoring (9th in GA)
        2015-16
        10th place, 7th in goals

generally, the scoring skill has decreased since 2015, particularly after Tyler Kelleher/Poturalski graduated. The recruiting hole during the vaunted Marty Scarano "transition" from 2015-2018 is noticeable. So, Marty has to pass the buck to the bad old arena. I wonder if Jim Dean asks him about the Jumbotron, or if the librarian liked sitting rinkside.
        Incredulous!(Scarano)
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Do tell. I'm thinking we get 3 this weekend. (goals that is, not points)
          Yes, the 2.5 over/under is goals as I wrote, not points. See 'watcher's lengthy post for hints.

Comment

I can tell them a good recruiter for $100K per year would remedy the problem in a fraction of the cost.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

So in the last thread I told the administration regarding the ice surface "Don't f*&k it up, bud"... Well, with this new "plan" you are about to f*&k it up, bud...

Comment

Wouldnt changing rink size effect the type of skaters they'd be looking for? Seems like they might need to go bigger and not quicker if they changed to a smaller rink. Personally I think the speed game adds more to college hockey and the resultant atmosphere than slower more physical style. I know I always preferred an upbeat style of play at Maine to the alternative. And, I would think there would be more gifted skaters capable of playing that style than the prototypical pro players. Yeah.....I think you've got some advantage already in the big sheet....they just might screw that up.
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  I can tell them a good recruiter for $100K per year would remedy the problem in a fraction of the cost.
                  At $200k or even $300k for a good recruiter you would remedy the problem at a fraction of the cost.

HOWEVER - first you must believe that recruiting is the problem. You must believe that for all the stuff that isn't exactly the way you want it, UNH is still a fantastic place to play. That although it isn't North Dakota's palace there are still wonderful player amenities that are better than a good chunk of NCAA schools. At that point go out and sell what you have, not against what you wished you had.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    With all your chatter about UNH potentially re-sizing the ice surface, was wondering if there was a reason you are all aware of as to why they made it that large in the first place.
                    In the early nineties, two things were in play. First, a few of the teams that had continued success, think Minnesota and Colorado College (yes CC used to be successful) had big sheets and recruited players who could make full use of them. UNH had always recruited speed over guys who could bull rush, going back to the Charlie Holt days. The program, from the time it turned D1 in the last sixties, was always known as one that was kind of high octane. Most of the time they couldn't defend much, but man they could score. When Umile became head coach in 1990, he was intent on following that tradition. When the idea for improving the hockey facility first germinated, Umile was actually thinking that the most he could ask for was the UVM model, where they would knock out the wall at the far end of Snively, put more stands in, maybe some sort of hospitality room for the FOH and that would be it. But then Terry Morton, a member of the UNH of Board of Trustees and, just as important, from Wisconsin, urged Umile and the athletic department to think big. No partial fixes, but a new facility with all the potential it could provide. Morton's leadership pushed it through and the rest is history. I can't tell you how thrilled I was the first time I attended a game there, a 6-5 OT victory over BU in November, 1995. Anyway, the Whit included the big sheet because, as I said before, UNH was always a speed team. From his first years as coach Umile recruited it and first hit the jackpot with Boguniecki and Nolan who entered in the fall of 1993. Then, of course, came Mowers, Nickulas, Krog, Haydar, Collins, Saviano, and the rest. Speed and quality is tough to beat, and for more than a decade, UNH had it. Then they didn't, for a couple of reasons that would take up another whole thread. Let's just say that it is still possible to field a quality program on the big sheet and a crap one on a small sheet. We are going to find that out soon enough.
                    Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 03-02-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Sorry for this lame question but...is the main reason the rink needs to shrink because of the refrigeration system? They cant replace it without pulling the dimensions in?

I'm with Greg...show the fans what it's going to look like for their seat. Cant wait to see all the unsupervised kids that are going to race up and down the sides like they do at one school I will not publicly name....
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        First, I’ve always liked sitting down near ice level. When I was a student, I stood in the corner at the scoreboard end of Snively. In those chain link days you could hear just about everything said on the ice and almost feel like you were part of the action when UNH was racing into the zone or setting up on a PP (back when UNH actually knew how to score on one). When I got season tickets at the Whit, they were fourth row, on the blue line, section 104. I was sitting right there when Ben Guite blasted Mark Mowers into the glass, knocking him unconscious. I could hear his teammate Tom Nolan, rushing over, saying “Mark, you okay, you okay” and waving frantically for the trainers to get on the ice. Being that close back in the glory days it was a wonder to watch the skills of those guys close up and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

As for the hockey end of things, I can guarantee you that those clamoring for a narrower sheet are doing so solely based on feel, anecdotal observations and certainly without hard statistical evidence. You say you like the narrower sheet where it takes a high skill set to create and execute and, I assume score. Hello! Scoring in college hockey is at an abysmal low right now and you’re an advocate of making it even more difficult to get on the board? Now I’m sure from the way you talk that you are some sort of hockey savant, but 90% of those attending a college game are not. If they attend an endless trail of games with 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 finals, with both teams unable to even create scoring chances, how often do you think they will come back? College hockey attendance is down almost everywhere. The reasons are myriad, but making it even more difficult to score is not going to help things. Hope you agree.
                        Savant, eh?! Ha! Greg, you flatter me so...!

You want more scoring? Increase the size of the net... Or, recruit better players. I'm all for that as the PRIMARY cause for the decline to mediorcrity, so we agree on something, friend...
                        Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          In the early nineties, two things were in play. First, a few of the teams that had continued success, think Minnesota and Colorado College (yes CC used to be successful) had big sheets and recruited players who could make full use of them. UNH had always recruited speed over guys who could bull rush, going back to the Charlie Holt days. The program, from the time it turned D1 in the last sixties, was always known as one that was kind of high octane. Most of the time they couldn't defend much, but man they could score. When Umile became head coach in 1990, he was intent on following that tradition. When the idea for improving the hockey facility first germinated, Umile was actually thinking that the most he could ask for was the UVM model, where they would knock out the wall at the far end of Snively, put more stands in, maybe some sort of hospitality room for the FOH and that would be it. But then Terry Morton, a member of the UNH of Board of Trustees and, just as important, from Wisconsin, urged Umile and the athletic department to think big. No partial fixes, but a new facility with all the potential it could provide. Morton's leadership pushed it through and the rest is history. I can't tell you how thrilled I was the first time I attended a game there, a 6-5 OT victory over BU in November, 1995. Anyway, the Whit included the big sheet because, as I said before, UNH was always a speed team. From his first years as coach Umile recruited it and first hit the jackpot with Boguniecki and Nolan who entered in the fall of 1993. Then, of course, came Mowers, Nickulas, Krog, Haydar, Collins, Saviano, and the rest. Speed and quality is tough to beat, and for more than a decade, UNH had it. Then they didn't, for a couple of reasons that would take up another whole thread. Let's just say that it is still possible to field a quality program on the big sheet and a crap one on a small sheet. We are going to find that out soon enough.
                          Greg, Very good analysis.
                          1. This shrink-the-rink is what I'd call "One Man's Bad Idea": not much input from anyone (high or low), no discussions, no publicity until recently, not thought through, no rationale (except it's a convenient time). They've know about the need to upgrade the refrigeration system for years, why weren't the pros and cons of the rink size discussed years ago?
                          2. As Greg states, it will change the type of player we've been know for: in 25+ years of going, I don't think there was a poor skater on our team: speed, stick handling, that's the game I prefer. Some may not, but this will change the traditional play of UNH hockey. Bring on the grinders.
                          3. And they don't even have a good plan for the bad idea: shrink the rink and then do the seats later? Might as well watch the game on the jumbotron or at home on TV. But wait: just play loud music, put on inane videos, and have more theme nights - that'll bring in the fans.
                          4. Maybe I'm wrong, but this looks like Souza's idea and no one said, "Can we just wait a minute...... ? The Shrink Stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                            1. This shrink-the-rink is what I'd call "One Man's Bad Idea": not much input from anyone (high or low), no discussions, no publicity until recently, not thought through, no rationale (except it's a convenient time). They've know about the need to upgrade the refrigeration system for years, why weren't the pros and cons of the rink size discussed years ago?
                            2. As Greg states, it will change the type of player we've been know for: in 25+ years of going, I don't think there was a poor skater on our team: speed, stick handling, that's the game I prefer. Some may not, but this will change the traditional play of UNH hockey. Bring on the grinders.
                            3. And they don't even have a good plan for the bad idea: shrink the rink and then do the seats later? Might as well watch the game on the jumbotron or at home on TV. But wait: just play loud music, put on inane videos, and have more theme nights - that'll bring in the fans.
                            4. Maybe I'm wrong, but this looks like Souza's idea and no one said, "Can we just wait a minute...... ? The Shrink Stinks.
                            #TheShrinkStinks Love that...future hash tag!!
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-l...eet/504842431/

Interesting .......... International hockey now moving to smaller sheet .........

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                                My brother was the construction manager for Whittemore and The Mullin Center. 12-15 years ago UNH approached Suffolk Construction to inquire about the cost to reduce the ice to NHL size. It was deemed too expensive then.
                                Last edited by theprofromdover; 03-02-2020, 08:02 PM.
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X