Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    P.S. to Darius - my comment about Fourth of July or Labor Day was a comment about when I expect it will take until things to return to any degree of normalcy. I hope I'm wrong, but voices of optimism are being crushed, and the stank of panic will make it hard to be among the first to step forward out of this situation. Look at all the crap I draw just on here (and lest anyone say I'm "whining" - no, I'm not, I'm still here, and I accept it all, good and bad), and multiply that by a million or so, and that's the burden that will be out there on the first few folks who dare to step out, and invoke the wrath of the "safe at all costs" brigade.
    I am thinking Memorial Day, but we will have to deal with it again late fall and winter. During the summer, I will think that our collective efforts got us ahead of (sorry, flattened) the curve. You will say, "See, I told you, nothing to see here folks". All good.

Not going to the gym yesterday was a bummer. My work STILL has no policy on this , but my department is acting like reasonably inconvenienced patriots and staying home.

Chuck
    U????
    N????
    Todd

A little help, please?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Get over yourself, Dan. Although the gossipy chatter thing does suit you nicely.

I don't have the time, patience or desire to go over old ground for the umpteenth time. You bring up some of 'Watcher's posts - not sure which one(s), but obviously you're tracking everything so closely. I'm sure you noticed that there were issues I've raised that 'Watcher didn't decide to engage in. And that's OK. I don't have any God-given right to expect 'Watcher, or Darius, or you, to answer everything I (or anyone else) put out there. 'Watcher has his opinions, and I have mine. He doesn't accept my data, and I don't accept most of his. It's OK. I haven't changed his mind, and so far, he hasn't changed mine. We'll both sleep OK tonight on that front, I'm sure.

I hate to make this about 'Watcher BTW … but you force the issue when you virtually try to become his surrogate. Let's just say, we probably both have a sense of who 'Watcher is, what he does for a living, and I'm not going to go further than that 'cuz that's not fair to 'Watcher. But I respect what he does, what he says, and (most of the time) how he says it. 'Watcher's not off looking for outside affirmation, or commiserating on how "Chuck is such an a-hole, isn't he, tee-hee-hee?" That would be you.

Now, for some "data" on the COVID-19 virus a/k/a Wuhan Flu to date, here in the US, compared with annual influenza deaths in the US. And I'll take it from a link to what is no doubt an acceptable source for you, and some of your like-minded liberals:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/healt...-bn/index.html

Overall gist of the article? Annually, there have been a minimum of 12,000 US influenza deaths, and a maximum of 80,000 US influenza deaths over years since they began tracking that data (1976?). That means, on average, even in the quietest of years there have been deaths on an average of at least 35-40 people per day. At the apex, the daily death rate was over 200 deaths.

Where was the panic over those staggering number of deaths over many, many years?

Right now, we've got 68 US deaths due to COVID-19. The recent rate has been 7-8 per day. It's sad, sure, but hardly in line with the panic-stricken behavior being driven out there. We keep hearing about "exponential" and multipliers, but right now it's still addition. And even if the rate moves up to 100 deaths per day, every day, for the next two (2) months … you're still "only" at 6,000 (and I put "only" in quotations lest you think me unduly coarse) which is a number that scrapes half of what the lowest annual flu-related death count on record has been.

Dan … this is going to be your world to live in for FAR longer than it's going to me mine, or probably for most of the other folks on this thread. If you're comfortable with the constant barrage of "existential threat" narratives that get thrown at all of us, all the time nowadays, be prepared for even more in the future. A lot of the rest of us grew up in grammar school classrooms in which drills for responding to nuclear attacks were a fairly routine and accepted part of our young lives. I was too young to realize what was going on with the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I bet other folks on here remember it vividly. I assume you're old enough though to have had mature thoughts and reflections after terrorists flew planes into NYC and DC back in 2001. If you think what's going on today - especially in comparison with past flu seasons noted above - constitutes an "existential crisis", please just go into it with eyes wide open, and expect that bar to continue to be lowered in coming years later in your life.

I'm not saying not to take reasonable precautions, Dan. I am saying, we don't need to shut down the country to take those reasonable precautions. There are a lot of good people out there, in the private sector, running small businesses, which are their dreams, and this heavy-handed authoritarian shut-down of vast segments of our economy is going to do damage, and I truly believe that damage is avoidable. For folks who are on public payrolls, there is relatively no economic pain. Even people like myself who work for larger private entities, life will go on, with relatively little economic pain.

I live in New Hampshire. I interact with dozens and dozens of small business people every day of my life up here, and they're the ones who are going to pay the economic price of this "you can't be safe enough" groupthink. I pray that Governor Sununu doesn't go down the same path that Governor Baker just went down, in shutting down sit-down restaurants. That's been a much-needed breath of fresh air for us folks up here. Maybe some of our neighboring MA folks who want some semblance of normal life will come up and patronize our wonderful establishments. I drive by the local hospital daily in my travels, and can assure anyone that the amount of traffic in the lots over there are the same as it's always been. To paraphrase Mark Twain … news of our alleged imminent demise has been greatly exaggerated.

P.S. to Darius - my comment about Fourth of July or Labor Day was a comment about when I expect it will take until things to return to any degree of normalcy. I hope I'm wrong, but voices of optimism are being crushed, and the stank of panic will make it hard to be among the first to step forward out of this situation. Look at all the crap I draw just on here (and lest anyone say I'm "whining" - no, I'm not, I'm still here, and I accept it all, good and bad), and multiply that by a million or so, and that's the burden that will be out there on the first few folks who dare to step out, and invoke the wrath of the "safe at all costs" brigade.

P.P.S. - going to another thread to speak ill of your pals here … tsk, tsk, you're better than that.
      Dope.
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        I am thinking Memorial Day, but we will have to deal with it again late fall and winter. During the summer, I will think that our collective efforts got us ahead of (sorry, flattened) the curve. You will say, "See, I told you, nothing to see here folks". All good.

Not going to the gym yesterday was a bummer. My work STILL has no policy on this , but my department is acting like reasonably inconvenienced patriots and staying home.
        Apparently there are clinical tests for COVID-19 vaccines on the precipice, I think the source was the AP? But you have to cut through layers of media-driven panic to get to anything remotely approaching good news these days. Seems for some reason that's not on the agenda. Sad.

I hope/suspect you're right about Memorial Day, for cynical reasons I'll keep to myself. We'll see.

Thanks for responding like a grown-up (and also taking a joke for what it was), Darius.

Others seem to routinely lack that grace around here.

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        Chuck
        U????
        N????
        Todd

A little help, please?
        You'll have to get that from the mookster … but I take it he isn't a fan of Laura Ingraham or Chuck Todd.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Apparently there are clinical tests for COVID-19 vaccines on the precipice, I think the source was the AP? But you have to cut through layers of media-driven panic to get to anything remotely approaching good news these days. Seems for some reason that's not on the agenda. Sad.
          So the AP is reporting it, but the Main Stream Media is hiding this fact. Sad.
          Perhaps the reason the news isn't met with more fanfare is not some liberal conspiracy, but that it isn't the quick fix that will make this go away by April, as some hoped.

The first participant in the trial will receive the experimental vaccine on Monday, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the trial has not been publicly announced yet. The National Institutes of Health is funding the trial, which is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, the official said.

Public health officials say it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate any potential vaccine.

Testing will begin with 45 young, healthy volunteers with different doses of shots co-developed by NIH and Moderna Inc. There's no chance participants could get infected from the shots, because they don't contain the virus itself. The goal is purely to check that the vaccines show no worrisome side effects, setting the stage for larger tests.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            368 people died in Italy today, that’s where we’re heading - and entirely unnecessarily - if we can’t take basic, easily implemented and non-invasive precautions. That’s nearly twice your worst case example in a much smaller country and in a much more rapidly increasing fashion than any flu - would that number be high enough for you to give a flip about anyone but yourself? Or higher still? What’s the number, Chuck?
            Just to make this easier and spare everyone else the double-dose of your continued personal attacks, I hope you don't mind that I've pared down your post to the facts v. hysteria part.

According to up to the minute CDC figures, the US death toll from COVID-19 skyrocketed from 68 yesterday to (drum roll please) 69. And yes, Dan, we are living in the US - not Italy. You know the key difference? Our President shut down travel to/from China before any other country did. He took a lot of heat for it at the time (i.e. xenophobic, racist, the usual tripe) but he stuck with it, and thankfully we're in a much better position for it. And, but for an unfortunate single nursing home in Kings County WA where roughly half of the deaths have occurred, the current number would probably be even less, in the 30's or 40's.

As to Italy, they obviously have a problem in the northern part of the country. But look at the surrounding countries - Austria, Switzerland, France, Greece … small mortality numbers, France just got over 100, but the others are (were?) well below that, or even behind Kings County WA. So if you want to conclude "we're heading for Italy", please understand, that's hardly a definite. And the data to date from bordering countries strongly suggests otherwise.

I'm sure the numbers will rise. I'm far from certain this will even come close to matching the 2018 flu season, with that data in my previous post. Regardless, there are no "victory laps" to be run over this issue …. and if I ever do that on here, you have my permission to roast me alive.

There IS a hockey-related "victory lap" that's still out there, waiting to be taken, but I've passed on taking it prematurely already, so your guy (.899) gets one more shot at redemption next season.

Comment

Reality will sink in over the next 48-72 hours in this thread.
              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
              Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                Reality will sink in over the next 48-72 hours in this thread.
                It has all along to some degree. Read the shorter posts.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  So the AP is reporting it, but the Main Stream Media is hiding this fact. Sad.
                  Perhaps the reason the news isn't met with more fanfare is not some liberal conspiracy, but that it isn't the quick fix that will make this go away by April, as some hoped.
                  Thanks for finding the AP blurb, 'Watcher. And yes, I understand the timelines. I'm sure you're also aware this situation isn't the only effort underway to streamline effective treatment for the COVID-19 virus, with more aggressive and optimistic timelines.

I know we're all rooting for good news, on several fronts, soon. It would be nice, though, if the MSM spent some (proportionate) time on trying to give folks more reason for optimism. Last time I checked, our country also has a long-standing epidemic of drug abuse-related depression and suicide, and the number we'll probably never get - after all of this is done and dusted - is how many folks in recovery turned to despair and suicide after having to confront the tsunami of negativity and "existential threat" news.

I don't think the CDC will be able to track those numbers case-by-case - not everyone leaves a suicide note saying "I was doing great until COVID-19 pushed me back to old behaviors, so goodbye cruel world" - but I would bet a lot of money that suicides in the US for 2020 will see a huge jump back up, after some encouraging declines in recent years.

There are a lot of good reasons for a measured response to this, and that's just one of them ...

Comment

The thng I see is that a lot of people cannot recognize the impact yet if they are removed from where things are starting. My brother in law in NH, a democrat, also thinks this is overreaction. With me being closer to the starting point, we have seen the growth and so are further along the growth period by a couple of weeks.

The other thing is that we have not yet hit the critical mass of the dividing line when this thing moves from nuisance with many numbers, to a true public health issue with more reported deaths. Even here, we have just a coupe of deaths that seem tied to underlying health issues. So even here we are not at the point of scarce resources causing more able-bodied people to die. Now, the experience of the other countries strongly suggests we will reach that point, but even here we have not yet. So, it requires a bit of extrapolation.

I suspect that once it hits cummunities harder, and also leads to more death, that people's perceptions will change a bit more.

It's like knowing that a hurricane is moving by virtue of a radar, but if you're in Florida and seeing bright skies, you think the battening down of buildings is overkill.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Oh come now At his last "rally" he called it a "hoax"...you tell me who politicized it? (With all due respect) Anyway, there's been enough BS from both sides of the aisle...so now we need to do what has been necessary from the start...Be well everyone...
                      The President did not call the corona virus a "hoax" and promulgating that group think is politicizing the crisis!

Tell hubby you'll stop watching Maddow if he stops watching Hannity! The truth lies somewhere in the middle and the truth will set you free
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        The President did not call the corona virus a "hoax" and promulgating that group think is politicizing the crisis!

Tell hubby you'll stop watching Maddow if he stops watching Hannity! The truth lies somewhere in the middle and the truth will set you free
                        Dope.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Just to make this easier and spare everyone else the double-dose of your continued personal attacks, I hope you don't mind that I've pared down your post to the facts v. hysteria part.

According to up to the minute CDC figures, the US death toll from COVID-19 skyrocketed from 68 yesterday to (drum roll please) 69. And yes, Dan, we are living in the US - not Italy. You know the key difference? Our President shut down travel to/from China before any other country did. He took a lot of heat for it at the time (i.e. xenophobic, racist, the usual tripe) but he stuck with it, and thankfully we're in a much better position for it. And, but for an unfortunate single nursing home in Kings County WA where roughly half of the deaths have occurred, the current number would probably be even less, in the 30's or 40's.

As to Italy, they obviously have a problem in the northern part of the country. But look at the surrounding countries - Austria, Switzerland, France, Greece … small mortality numbers, France just got over 100, but the others are (were?) well below that, or even behind Kings County WA. So if you want to conclude "we're heading for Italy", please understand, that's hardly a definite. And the data to date from bordering countries strongly suggests otherwise.

I'm sure the numbers will rise. I'm far from certain this will even come close to matching the 2018 flu season, with that data in my previous post. Regardless, there are no "victory laps" to be run over this issue …. and if I ever do that on here, you have my permission to roast me alive.

There IS a hockey-related "victory lap" that's still out there, waiting to be taken, but I've passed on taking it prematurely already, so your guy (.899) gets one more shot at redemption next season.
                          Of course, I don't mind. I'm not surprised either, that you would run from the bulk of my post which points out you continue to engaging in the same behavior you have such a problem with. You are the person you rant against, just on the other side of the debate (and all because of what your own sources of 'media' tell you)...

Anyone concerned with the virus is panicking for pointing out the blueprint (Italy) for what might happen here if we don't take immediate and mildly disruptive action, but you are simply the intelligent, open-minded and moral authority when you compare the inconvenience of not being able to watch sports or a run on toilet paper to behavior in the London Blitz and the Cold War and cry authoritarianism when local government asks you to order take out instead of heading to a restaurant.

I am hardly panic stricken over the COVID-19 virus, your feeling that I am is simply a self-righteous projection allowing you to hop up onto your pedestal and preach. What I am willing to do is put my own self-interest aside for a small period of time if that is what is asked of my by scientists and government officials who do so from a point of mitigating risk and saving lives. You cant be bothered. More importantly, you can't be bothered quietly.

You conclude we're not heading for Italy - please understand that's hardly impossibility and no one finds your reckless claims of defiant behavior charming or admirable. If it doesn't happen here, it will be because of the so called overreaction from local governments and private governing bodies like the NCAA, NBA. You're welcome.

I'd almost believe you won't be back for a victory lap - but with your typical grace and excellence you declared (what, two weeks ago?) that you wouldn't be taking a victory lap about the goaltender debate and yet here you are attempting to take one without stooping to the level of taking one. We can't compare two countries, but we can compare two seasons/teams. Goalposts need not apply, as usual...

How Robinson turns out when his career is over, has absolutely nothing to do with my claims at the time that a rotation would best serve both Tirone and UNH. A good or bad goaltender following a wildly inconsistent and below average goaltender does nothing to change the latter even if one is pitifully desperate to win an argument two years after the fact by straying largely off the original topic. But kudos to you, I know that for some reason you NEED these 'wins'...
                          Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2020, 12:12 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

C'mon man, its only on video for the world to see. Ignore the article - I'm sure that is useless tripe - just watch it come from the man's own freaking mouth before you lecture anyone on 'group think'...

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...navirus-a-hoax

The reality is the virus could have been a god send to Trump. All he had to do was take it seriously, react in the best interest of the country as a whole and not in the interest of his own ego and this was a slam-dunk, look at me I'm a hero moment - no matter how it turned out. And he botched it...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              C'mon man, its only on video for the world to see. Ignore the article - I'm sure that is useless tripe - just watch it come from the man's own freaking mouth before you lecture anyone on 'group think'...

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...navirus-a-hoax

The reality is the virus could have been a god send to Trump. All he had to do was take it seriously, react in the best interest of the country as a whole and not in the interest of his own ego and this was a slam-dunk, look at me I'm a hero moment - no matter how it turned out. And he botched it...
                              I've already seen the video. He doesn't say the corona virus is a hoax.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I've already seen the video. He doesn't say the corona virus is a hoax.
                                Wow. Again, black is white, up is down, he could shoot some in the middle of NYC and his voters would say it was made up. They already do......

Enjoy your restrictions based on what's coming while you scream Live Free or Die. Your choice.
                                Last edited by Wayuphere; 03-16-2020, 01:56 PM.
                                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                                Just win.....

Comment

Working...
                                X