Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    If you can't take 4 points out of 8 then you don't deserve to be in the tournament.

Maine has to be the surprise of the season. Didn't see that coming!
    Maine fans will tell you their goaltending has been largely the reason for their success and I'd add they have some decent players in Fossier, Tralmaks amd Doherty (I dont really know their team that well just what I've seen). Nope..we blew it plain and simple and I hate to say that when on many occasions we did some excellent work. Could not sustain it when we needed to. Far from me to venture why...

Had some great wins couldnt get over that hump of locking down when we needed to coupled with the way it all shook out. Sorry but this fan is disappointed...
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-22-2020, 07:26 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Maine fans will tell you their goaltending has been largely the reason for their success and I'd add they have some decent players in Fossier, Tralmaks amd Doherty (I dont really know their team that well just what I've seen). Nope..we blew it plain and simple and I hate to say that when on many occasions we did some excellent work. Could not sustain it when we needed to. Far from me to venture why...

Had some great wins couldnt get over that hump of locking down when we needed to coupled with the way it all shook out. Sorry but this fan is disappointed...
      Yeah, if it works out that this team doesn't make it, which is all but a sure thing then I agree it's disappointing. I think the standings bear out that there is a lot of parity in the league. On paper, this team should have ended up in the middle of the pack IMO. Leadership issues, starting with bad untimely penalties, from the top down. Hate to say it but I think that's the case !
      Last edited by e.cat; 02-22-2020, 07:45 AM.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Our best bet is knocking PC out of the contest. As they have 3 games left. Basically if they can lose at least 2 games we would need two wins we would be tied with them and we hold the tie breaker. If they lose out then we would only need 1 win out of our 4 game's.
        So you're saying there's a chance …

PC and NU are both struggling down the stretch, but two with UVM should get NU enough to survive. PC losing to Merrimack was a shocker, and another non-win tonight could really create some pressure on the Friars. UConn also has four tough games left (as does UNH), so there are half-chances dotted all around the place. But if UNH can't buy a win, none of it matters.

A sweep of UMass Lowell next weekend would really make things interesting, pulling UML back to the pack struggling to make it into the playoffs. But with BC in their current form, anything short of a sweep of UML, and a split with UNH will make it very difficult to sneak through, unless PC and/or NU (or even UConn) find a way to go winless down the stretch.

Can any of those things happen? Sure.

WILL any of those things happen?

First, sweep UML and then we can talk.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

BU gettin' smoked at the hands of UCONN for a weekend sweep. Hmmmmm, sounds familiar!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            BU gettin' smoked at the hands of UCONN for a weekend sweep. Hmmmmm, sounds familiar!
            Why oh why, do we NEVER get the BU team that gets smoked by the likes UCONN and MC????
            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Why oh why, do we NEVER get the BU team that gets smoked by the likes UCONN and MC????
              Thought the same thing a Scott. 6-1 now. Unreal

Comment

Well PC dropping 2 to MC is a surprise.

At the same time what we see with UNH is if they just took care of business at home with UConn and BU how different the standings would be. In both those cases they didn't come out on the ice really ready to play. They actually started well with BU and at the first sign of an issue they folded like a pup tent.

I always thought that they would need 4 points out of the last 6 games. I still think that is the case.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  The hockey gods just dropped an enormous opportunity onto UNH's lap. UNH only 2 points behind PC, with two games in hand, plus an edge in the tiebreaker. And while UNH has BC on the last weekend, PC's last two games are (home) against #2 UMaine, which would be a big step up from the Merrimack Warriors, to whom MS7 and crew should express profound gratitude for greasing the skids beneath the Friars, who are suddenly looking like "that team" who might be the odd ones out - if it's not UNH.

If UNH can get even 3 points next weekend vs. UML, that would put a ton of pressure on PC ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    The hockey gods just dropped an enormous opportunity onto UNH's lap. UNH only 2 points behind PC, with two games in hand, plus an edge in the tiebreaker. And while UNH has BC on the last weekend, PC's last two games are (home) against #2 UMaine, which would be a big step up from the Merrimack Warriors, to whom MS7 and crew should express profound gratitude for greasing the skids beneath the Friars, who are suddenly looking like "that team" who might be the odd ones out - if it's not UNH.

If UNH can get even 3 points next weekend vs. UML, that would put a ton of pressure on PC ...
                    My people see it like this...

We are two points behind PC (one win) they have two games left we have four games

That said...we'd have to get some points...go 'Cats!!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yeah PC getting swept by Mc is another surprise....maybe more of a surprise than the UCONN sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Because we (BU) play better against the established schools. We seem to lose interest against many others. Example: 2 losses to UConn, losses to Sacred Heart and Merrimack. No disrespect to those schools intended. Personally I think it's a combination of factors. Blue chip high draft picks that tend to play at a higher level in two scenarios: 1) "backs against the wall" (playoffs, Beanpot, tournement) games, and 2) high-profile games (i.e., both Beanpot games - televised on three networks - NESN, NHL Network and TSN). It's what you get with the philosophy they have established. And in the games where they lose interest, that's where you need the leadership from the seniors...the guys who provide the year to year continuity....oh, wait...we don't have many of those...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          The hockey gods just dropped an enormous opportunity onto UNH's lap. UNH is only 2 points behind PC, with two games in hand, plus holds the edge in the tiebreaker. And while UNH has BC on the last weekend, PC's last two games are (home) against #2 UMaine, which would be a big step up from the Merrimack Warriors, to whom MS7 and crew should express profound gratitude for greasing the skids beneath the Friars, who are suddenly looking like "that team" who might be the odd ones out - if it's not UNH.
                          I hope y'all will permit me a brief side-track from our ongoing discussion of how/if our 'Cats might yet work their way into the HEA playoffs (where, if they qualify, will most likely wind up playing BC 4, and perhaps 5, games in a row. Yikes ...).

Many long-time UNH fans here on USCHO will surely remember a one-time prolific contributor posting as 'dabigbadcow', a 2003 UNH graduate who is now the head women's hockey coach at DivII Franklin Pierce University in Rindge. He was the inaugural head coach at FPU, and literally built the program up from scratch over the last 8 years, to the point where they were accepted this past season into the newly formed HEWHA (New England Women's Hockey Alliance), a DivI League (of sorts) formed because the DivIII schools no longer wanted to play DivII schools and DivII doesn't support a women's championship.

Today was the NEWHA Conference semi-finals, held at St. Anslem, where in the opener Long Island University, in its first season, shut-out #1 seed Sacred Heart 3-0, and FPU faced off against home-standing St. A's in the nightcap ... That game just ended in the 5th overtime after 147:24 minutes of play, the all-time longest DivI women's game EVER. Despite a heroic 79-save performance by FPU sophomore goal-keeper Emme Ostrander, the Ravens lost 1-2, ending their season at 21-11-0. I hope y'all will join me in congratulating Dave & his Ravens, who literally gave it their all and came up just a wee bit short. This'll be a game that none of the participants will ever forget, on the 40th Anniversary of the 'Miracle on Ice' no less ...
                          Last edited by jeteye1717; 02-22-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                            I hope y'all will permit me a brief side-track from our ongoing discussion of how/if our 'Cats might yet work their way into the HEA playoffs (where, if they qualify, will most likely wind up playing BC 4, and perhaps 5, games in a row. Yikes ...).

Many long-time UNH fans here on USCHO will surely remember a one-time prolific contributor posting as 'dabigbadcow', a 2003 UNH graduate who is now the head women's hockey coach at DivII Franklin Pierce University in Rindge. He was the inaugural head coach at FPU, and literally built the program up from scratch over the last 8 years, to the point where they were accepted this past season into the newly formed HEWHA (New England Women's Hockey Alliance), a DivI League (of sorts) formed because the DivIII schools no longer wanted to play DivII schools and DivII doesn't support a women's championship.

Today was the NEWHA Conference semi-finals, held at St. Anslem, where in the opener Long Island University, in its first season, shut-out #1 seed Sacred Heart 3-0, and FPU faced off against home-standing St. A's in the nightcap ... That game just ended in the 5th overtime after 147:24 minutes of play, the all-time longest DivI women's game EVER. Despite a heroic 79-save performance by FPU sophomore goal-keeper Emme Ostrander, the Ravens lost 1-2, ending their season at 21-11-0. I hope y'all will join me in congratulating Dave & his Ravens, who literally gave it their all and came up just a wee bit short. This'll be a game that none of the participants will ever forget, on the 40th Anniversary of the 'Miracle on Ice' no less ...
                            Congrats to Coach Stockdale, one of the most knowledgeable posters on here (and a great guy to boot) from the UNH "glory days", who's gone onto bigger and better things at FPU. Fantastic to see him enjoying steady success, and hard to believe the kid who graduated back when UNH last made the Frozen Four is now pushing 40. Not wishing ill on the current incumbent, or pushing 'Cow into a direction he might not want to pursue, but seeing him running the Women's program at his alma mater at some point would be something I think many old pals on this board would be excited to see happen. Keep up the good work!!

While on the topic of old bygone posters … it was fun seeing some of the old posters starting to seep back onto the board a few weeks ago, with the program finally starting to show signs of life ('cow's buddy Gibber among them). I'm convinced there is a huge amount of latent interest out there in the fortunes of the UNH program, and all that needs to be done is to ensure the (currently slow) climb back to relevancy continues and bears fruit, hopefully sooner than later. I think that's what's at stake at this time every season, and the coach (hopefully MS7) who turns it around will be a legend for the rest of us.

A few key wins this weekend and next would go a long way towards that.

Make it happen.
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 02-23-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

At the same time what we see with UNH is if they just took care of business at home with UConn and BU how different the standings would be. In both those cases they didn't come out on the ice really ready to play. They actually started well with BU and at the first sign of an issue they folded like a pup tent.

I always thought that they would need 4 points out of the last 6 games. I still think that is the case.
                              Based on last night JB is probably on the mark. PC let’s give them a split with Maine puts them up 4 points. Still have a hard time seeing this team get that total but maybe the week off will come at the right time.

That blown game against Maine in the last minute, a Yukon split, and W at Merrimack has you in 3rd. It’s good to see the conference right though just wish it was in our favor

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
                                Based on last night JB is probably on the mark. PC let’s give them a split with Maine puts them up 4 points. Still have a hard time seeing this team get that total but maybe the week off will come at the right time.

That blown game against Maine in the last minute, a Yukon split, and W at Merrimack has you in 3rd. It’s good to see the conference right though just wish it was in our favor
                                Want to believe anything could happen. Who on this board thought MC would sweep PC? (Thanks for that Merrimack btw..) Sure I know it's a huge get but it is possible. Is what it is. We will keep our fingers crossed.

If it doesnt happen its fuel for next season. Gonna hurt abit as 'woulda coulda shoulda' is always a tough pill to swallow. But we will cross that bridge if and when. Go 'Cats!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X