Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Cheated: (looked it up...) Downing, Saviano, Radja, Sislo, Thompson, DeSimone, Aikins and Fornataro (not necessairily in this order, but the last 10 including Butler and Goumas. Brett Hemmingway prob deserves to be in the last 10 list?

No doubt Potsy could have been had he stayed, and, now, who might be on track, Crookshank? Boy, did I miss out on some amazing players...
    Close. Need to substitute more recent B Hemingway and Micflikier for Saviano and Atkins. All well after the hay days of the late 90s early 2000s.

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

I'm posting my first comments on this site after many years of following. Been around the program since early 60s, watched many games outside before Snively. I have loved the back and forth, and decided to join the fun. My first thought is that Mike continues to move the program forward. This is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, and he needs to be given every opportunity to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by sth45yrs View Post
        I'm posting my first comments on this site after many years of following. Been around the program since early 60s, watched many games outside before Snively. I have loved the back and forth, and decided to join the fun. My first thought is that Mike continues to move the program forward. This is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, and he needs to be given every opportunity to succeed.
        Welcome!!! Keep coming back. Love the perspective about the 'marathon, not a sprint'. Thanks for the reminder that it's a definite work in progress. This season it seemed like we'd take some big steps (wins) forward...then a few steps back (losses we really needed to win). Growing pains, I guess! Hope you will continue to bring this perspective; it gets lost in the shuffle when disappointment sets in, and the 'wouldas, couldas, shouldas' that we (speaking for myself especially) often feel when things aren't moving quite fast enough. All that said, I think it's also ok to feel disappointment as a fan, when all we want to see is the team to be successful, and take part in things we haven't been a part of for awhile. Memories are nice, but memories don't win hockey games
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Me thinks that UNH really needs to figure out that hockey IS their bread and butter sport. The football team is nice, but if you are not in the final 4 every year (North Dakota State), what exposure are you really getting? Tough to turn your back after sinking $25Mil+ on the stadium, but hockey definitely gives more payback. Why cant they move some money around to increase the recruiting budget by 50% and give it a go? How much extra woudl that actually be in total dollars? Not sure how much the budget is, please enlighten me.

Need to put some asses in the seats, get a buzz going on campus and some media willing to give more coverage. They are the only game in town with Beer League+ now in ManchVegas. The time to ramp up is NOW, we are not on year 2, we are really on Year 3 + 2. The good recruits should be in the pipeline NOW to turn this ship.

Maybe we should frame this situation somewhere between what is happening now and WWWD - What Would Walshy Do!

Comment

Quick numbers for arguments sake. At $ 15 per ticket, a 4K avg ='s $60K per game in ticket sales. 5K avg ='s $75K and 6K ='s $90K. If you bumped the recruiting budget to get things going by $90,000, takes 6 games with the increase in revenue from 4K to 5K to pay it off, or 3 games if you can get 6,000 per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post
              Me thinks that UNH really needs to figure out that hockey IS their bread and butter sport. The football team is nice, but if you are not in the final 4 every year (North Dakota State), what exposure are you really getting? Tough to turn your back after sinking $25Mil+ on the stadium, but hockey definitely gives more payback. Why cant they move some money around to increase the recruiting budget by 50% and give it a go? How much extra woudl that actually be in total dollars? Not sure how much the budget is, please enlighten me.

Need to put some asses in the seats, get a buzz going on campus and some media willing to give more coverage. They are the only game in town with Beer League+ now in ManchVegas. The time to ramp up is NOW, we are not on year 2, we are really on Year 3 + 2. The good recruits should be in the pipeline NOW to turn this ship.

Maybe we should frame this situation somewhere between what is happening now and WWWD - What Would Walshy Do!
              Fantastic post. Please share your thoughts more often.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

No JvR in Flyers-Canes match up tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  No JvR in Flyers-Canes match up tonight.
                  Believe it was mentioned during the game last nite he was injured..oh my broke his right index finger:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/111395158

Ps...Bruins got @%%!! on that penalty then Bergeron...!
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Believe it was mentioned during the game last nite he was injured..oh my broke his right index finger:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/111395158

Ps...Bruins got @%%!! on that penalty then Bergeron...!
                    Could preclude him reaching 25 goals this season; now 19+21= 40 points in 66 games so far.
                    Last edited by Snively65; 03-05-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Welp 'Cat fans here we are in what could be our last weekend of the season. As always, hard to believe we are at this point, let alone facing elimination for the post season, but, what are you gonna do. Heading to BC today so if any of yous are there, do connect! Watching UMass battle UVM down to the last seconds last night gave me some hope. I know what we are up against. Just hoping we give it our all both games. Wishing the best to our women's team as well; hopefully they advance to the HE finals; it has to be a long time for them to make it to that game; for us, 2014. Anyhoo....Go 'Cats!!!!

Comment

Welp 'Cat fans here we are in what could be our last weekend of the season. As always, hard to believe we are at this point, let alone facing elimination for the post season, but, what are you gonna do. Heading to BC today so if any of yous are there, do connect! Watching UMass battle UVM down to the last seconds last night gave me some hope. I know what we are up against. Just hoping we give it our all both games. Wishing the best to our women's team as well; hopefully they advance to the HE finals; it has to be a long time for them to make it to that game; for us, 2014. Anyhoo....Go 'Cats!!!!
                        And, our women have a NC.

Will follow online at a conference this weekend. Still counting on three goals, 4-2 L tonight, 1-0 W tomorrow night to make eighth.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 03-06-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
                          Broken record alert but recruiting for consistent and pure scorers has been weak since approximately the Thompson, Sislo, Desimone era IMO. That team could score. Who remembers Thompson scoring late in the third at the Whitt to beat Maine at white out after Nyquist just missed somewhat of an empty net. I loved that team and era about ten ish year ago
                          Those were down years for those of us who were there for the late 90's/early 2000's; funny to look back at that narrative in hindsight now.
                          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

To bring the lack of scoring in to focus, Gildon is the leading scorer this year with 27 points. Looking historically over the past 20 years or so, this would usually place him about 6th or 7th on the typical team (even '99). Now he is at the top. In regards to goals, we havent had a 20 goal scorer since Grasso started as a freshman 9 years ago (well actually 2016/17, but feels longer).

Snively would not have been called Lively with this type of anemia. As the new front running, absent minded presidential candidate would say, "Come on Man!".

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                              To bring the lack of scoring in to focus, Gildon is the leading scorer this year with 27 points. Looking historically over the past 20 years or so, this would usually place him about 6th or 7th on the typical team (even '99). Now he is at the top. In regards to goals, we havent had a 20 goal scorer since Grasso started as a freshman 9 years ago (well actually 2016/17, but feels longer).

Snively would not have been called Lively with this type of anemia. As the new front running, absent minded presidential candidate would say, "Come on Man!".
                              Or "Dog face pony soldier!"

Get on your pony soldier and get a W Cats!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

It just occurred to me... this weekend (tomorrow for the quote on 3/7/10) is the 10 year anniversary of this amazing thread from which the quote in my sig was born:
                                https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...08#post4678708

Man on man, what a lot of fun things were back in those days when UNH would at least be good in the regular season.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X