Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

...which is the way that's clear? You got it. That's the new question. Have at it.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2020, 10:19 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

https://youtu.be/XVM-tFAdADg

https://youtu.be/4ruJ4kAGbLc
    Last edited by e.cat; 02-16-2020, 10:29 AM.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Apologies for tacking this epic screed on the very end of the last UNH thread.

Copied & pasted here just to generate some further discussion and feedback ...

Originally Posted by NCAA watcher
      Pregame, Souza said the Refs actually saved UNH from a second 5 minute penalty (was he referring to the Wyse hit?) so no complaints by him.

Originally Posted by HockeyRef
      Someone I know is keeping track as well (and thanks for this post e!) Gotta have points this weekend, and, we are ALL BC fans for the game on Thursday and a BU sweep this weekend. Coach Souza sounded despondent in his presser; we played well I thought last night but as he said, can't win without scoring and BU did what they had to do. Thought Robinson had a great game. Don't forget we played this game without Charlie and the Angus ejection (which Souza agreed with) didn't help. I liked the presence of Lucas Herrman...I think a lot of guys stepped up despite the outcome. Stayed out of the box (I think this was the first game in many that our capt. did not get a penalty and for the most part, officials let them play).

Serious question here: is MS7 trying to lead his team through a fiercely competitive field into the fringes of the HEA playoffs, or is he stumping for the HEA Officials' Benevolent Association's "Hip-Hip-Hurrah, May I Have Another, What a Swell Understanding Guy" award?

I mean … can any of you imagine Jack Parker - heck, Dick Umile - slumping all hangdog in to a pre-game or post-game presser, lamenting about how the refs not only nailed it on the two majors they called against your guys, but complimenting them on not calling a 3rd, and not saying a GD word about Verrier getting mugged, or the slew-foot incident last night?!?

If that happens up in Orono ME to Walshy and his boys circa 1991, match officials' car tires would be mysteriously slashed for their long ride back to Everett civilization. Or worse …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A

Instead, we get the despondent, beaten, self-pitying "we didn't deserve it" after last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idP5-vtkhBE

Man up, MS7. Sure, Friday night was a poor showing, BU wanted it more, your guys weren't ready, and that's on YOU and on them as well. But by all indications, your guys were ready and up for it last night, grabbed an early lead, got sandbagged by the one you insisted the refs "owed" you from being swell understanding nice guys to Wyse the night before, costing you your most dangerous attacking player (and the equalizer), then took away a go-ahead goal, saw you fall behind shortly after, and then predictably swallowed their whistles when it was convenient for them (and inconvenient for you and your team) to do so.

Even if in your heart of hearts you think the refs got mostly everything right, you've got to be the leader, and you've got to let the players know you have their backs. It's not "clever" to figure you're amassing referee "brownie points" by going nice when (right or wrong) their calls have contributed to you losing the most important game of the season. Look at what happened to BU after Monday night. EVERYONE in the building - including the same officiating crew, both nights - had heard all week about just how hard-done-by BU was with the call in double OT. So guess what - things "evened up" a little bit for BU this weekend.

Unfortunately, it came at the expense of your team and your program numb-nuts. So you go out and blow a gasket, and maybe - just maybe - some of that comes back to you next weekend against Lowell? Instead, it's another "well, my guys played better, but not good enough, and BTW yeah, they deservedly got Angus. No, I don't remember no slew-foot?!?"

Say what you will about Coach Umile, but he never would have thrown any of his guys (including Wyse) under the bus, and he ****ed sure would never have let the officials off the hook. Then it would be set up for an "us against the world" thing for the next two weekends - and I think we all agree 5-6 points out of 8 is the minimum required - and you'd like to think you'd have your guys breathing fire next weekend - which they're most assuredly going to need.

Back before Walshy was Walshy, and Grant was drawing in the more talented classes that got them over the top, Walshy was the master motivator, and he gradually brought his program up to the level where they could realistically start to chase top talent to get them to come to Orono to do something special. MS7 has gotten his program out of the competitive ditch his predecessor had left it in, yes, but as folks like 'Watcher and others have pointed out, it's not there where you can point to top-half of HEA finishes or regular trips to the Garden yet to top-end recruits. So, unless you're incredibly good at coaching players up, then you've got to scratch and claw for every last bit you can get out of your current guys, and grow incrementally through getting improved recruits, continue to coach them up, repeat, etc. etc.

BU is a more talented program than UNH right now, FACT. BU won deservedly and easily on Friday night. UNH had a shot to win last night. UNH needed that win - or at least a tie - and it should have looked that way and felt that way. And it didn't.

If I'm grading MS7 on this past weekend, he gets a straight D. It's only not an F, since his guys showed up and competed hard last night after a disheartening loss on Friday. To be clear, I like MS7 and I want him to do well. But this weekend was proof to me that there is still a long way to go, and in answering the question atop the last thread, right now, UNH is treading water.

JMHO.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Pregame, Souza said the Refs actually saved UNH from a second 5 minute penalty (was he referring to the Wyse hit?) so no complaints by him.

Someone I know is keeping track as well (and thanks for this post e!) Gotta have points this weekend, and, we are ALL BC fans for the game on Thursday and a BU sweep this weekend. Coach Souza sounded despondent in his presser; we played well I thought last night but as he said, can't win without scoring and BU did what they had to do. Thought Robinson had a great game. Don't forget we played this game without Charlie and the Angus ejection (which Souza agreed with) didn't help. I liked the presence of Lucas Herrman...I think a lot of guys stepped up despite the outcome. Stayed out of the box (I think this was the first game in many that our capt. did not get a penalty and for the most part, officials let them play).

Serious question here: is MS7 trying to lead his team through a fiercely competitive field into the fringes of the HEA playoffs, or is he stumping for the HEA Officials' Benevolent Association's "Hip-Hip-Hurrah, May I Have Another, What a Swell Understanding Guy" award?

I mean … can any of you imagine Jack Parker - heck, Dick Umile - slumping all hangdog in to a pre-game or post-game presser, lamenting about how the refs not only nailed it on the two majors they called against your guys, but complimenting them on not calling a 3rd, and not saying a GD word about Verrier getting mugged, or the slew-foot incident last night?!?

If that happens up in Orono ME to Walshy and his boys circa 1991, match officials' car tires would be mysteriously slashed for their long ride back to Everett civilization. Or worse …

Instead, we get the despondent, beaten, self-pitying "we didn't deserve it" after last night?

Man up, MS7. Sure, Friday night was a poor showing, BU wanted it more, your guys weren't ready, and that's on YOU and on them as well. But by all indications, your guys were ready and up for it last night, grabbed an early lead, got sandbagged by the one you insisted the refs "owed" you from being swell understanding nice guys to Wyse the night before, costing you your most dangerous attacking player (and the equalizer), then took away a go-ahead goal, saw you fall behind shortly after, and then predictably swallowed their whistles when it was convenient for them (and inconvenient for you and your team) to do so.

Even if in your heart of hearts you think the refs got mostly everything right, you've got to be the leader, and you've got to let the players know you have their backs. It's not "clever" to figure you're amassing referee "brownie points" by going nice when (right or wrong) their calls have contributed to you losing the most important game of the season. Look at what happened to BU after Monday night. EVERYONE in the building - including the same officiating crew, both nights - had heard all week about just how hard-done-by BU was with the call in double OT. So guess what - things "evened up" a little bit for BU this weekend.

Unfortunately, it came at the expense of your team and your program numb-nuts. So you go out and blow a gasket, and maybe - just maybe - some of that comes back to you next weekend against Lowell? Instead, it's another "well, my guys played better, but not good enough, and BTW yeah, they deservedly got Angus. No, I don't remember no slew-foot?!?"

Say what you will about Coach Umile, but he never would have thrown any of his guys (including Wyse) under the bus, and he ****ed sure would never have let the officials off the hook. Then it would be set up for an "us against the world" thing for the next two weekends - and I think we all agree 5-6 points out of 8 is the minimum required - and you'd like to think you'd have your guys breathing fire next weekend - which they're most assuredly going to need.

Back before Walshy was Walshy, and Grant was drawing in the more talented classes that got them over the top, Walshy was the master motivator, and he gradually brought his program up to the level where they could realistically start to chase top talent to get them to come to Orono to do something special. MS7 has gotten his program out of the competitive ditch his predecessor had left it in, yes, but as folks like 'Watcher and others have pointed out, it's not there where you can point to top-half of HEA finishes or regular trips to the Garden yet to top-end recruits. So, unless you're incredibly good at coaching players up, then you've got to scratch and claw for every last bit you can get out of your current guys, and grow incrementally through getting improved recruits, continue to coach them up, repeat, etc. etc.

BU is a more talented program than UNH right now, FACT. BU won deservedly and easily on Friday night. UNH had a shot to win last night. UNH needed that win - or at least a tie - and it should have looked that way and felt that way. And it didn't.

If I'm grading MS7 on this past weekend, he gets a straight D. It's only not an F, since his guys showed up and competed hard last night after a disheartening loss on Friday. To be clear, I like MS7 and I want him to do well. But this weekend was proof to me that there is still a long way to go, and in answering the question atop the last thread, right now, UNH is treading water.

JMHO.
        +1
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Back before Walshy was Walshy, and Grant was drawing in the more talented classes that got them over the top, Walshy was the master motivator, and he gradually brought his program up to the level where they could realistically start to chase top talent to get them to come to Orono to do something special.
          Walsh never did anything gradual. He got the job in April 1984, and by December, had recruited a top 5 NHL pick (Shawn Anderson), Jack Capuano away from a sure spot at BU, Bobby Corkum away from BC, Eric Weinrich away from BU, UNH and BC, Bruce Major away from NCAA Champs Bowling Green and North Dakota.

He was able to do that because he had proven his credibiliyty by five years as a recruiter, having brought talent to bring Michigan State from sub-500 to the NCAA tourney. When he got the job he was immediately able to get buy in from recruits that he was going places.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

JMHO.
            I'm glad you carried this over and I hope it's cool that I started a new thread. Loved that "Rock On" song by David Essex.. Anyway...Laughed out loud about your Godfather references in this (and other) threads as I love that flick. I have been known to use the 'horses head in your bed' comment in my classroom where appropriate. (You'd have to be there...) I hate to pile on Coach Souza; I know he wants UNH to be the best team they can be. Trying to be fair that he has to grow into that HC position. It takes some time to establish your self and while I have no clue about Walshy or Jackie Parker, I am sure they had learning curves on their own to overcome.

That being said...you have to come out swinging for your club. It's ok to own it when you feel your team just wasn't up to the challenge either. Story: after the Army game and Charlie was injured, he had plenty to say to the officials after the game (from what I heard; we left promptly to hit the road as the driving conditions were atrocious) I've seen him challenge them on the bench as well. I dunno...I do agree that the LAST thing I want to hear is that when you get kicked in the you know what's due to some calls (or non calls, like last night) you prob don't want to acquiesce to the officials. It's a two way street between coach and player. Coaches are charged with preparing their team for every single game. Players are charged with executing the game plan set up by the adults in the room. Sometimes they do not compete in the way you want them to; heck, this is the way it is for even the most winningest of coaches, no surprise here. But I'd keep it closer to my vest in public, that you are the reason they aren't prepared. Again...my opinion and I don't know jack about D1 coaching....
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2020, 10:41 AM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Walsh never did anything gradual. He got the job in April 1984, and by December, had recruited a top 5 NHL pick (Shawn Anderson), Jack Capuano away from a sure spot at BU, Bobby Corkum away from BC, Eric Weinrich away from BU, UNH and BC, Bruce Major away from NCAA Champs Bowling Green and North Dakota.

He was able to do that because he had proven his credibiliyty by three years as a recruiter, having brought talent to bring Michigan State from sub-500 to the NCAA tourney. When he got the job he was immediately able to get buy in from recruits that he was going places.
              It was still awhile before he got them over the top, but overall, I stand corrected.

I was friends with a close pal of Corkum, and vividly recall some discussions about BC's new coach.

Comment

Enjoyed your Field of Dreams clip on Moonlight Graham, HR. Quite poignant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  ...which is the way that's clear? You got it. That's the new question. Have at it.
                  Sorry to jump off of your post Ref but just a few thoughts. I walked out of Agganis last night without the depressed feeling that i have today. We played exceptionally well for 45-50 minutes. Still can't get those dirty in tight goals. The crowd was pretty quiet and if you could have ask, surprised that this supposedly crappy team was taking it to their boys. Consistency and timely scoring are what this team is missing. There were a lot of skilled players out their but none able to solve the sliding transfer from Yale.
                  And speaking of swallowing the whistle. With approx. 6:26 left in the third, as most had exited the BU defensive end, Valasic (sp) gave MacAdams the most egregious and obvious cross check to the back of his head. As my jaw dropped I could see Shea about 15 feet behind the play. He was barking at Valasic but apparently had swallowed his whistle. So much for protecting the players heads.
                  While everyone is right that we need some snippers and pure scorers, this can be a very exciting and fun team to watch. Still say the beach coaching is a very significant missing element to greater consistency and success.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Sorry to jump off of your post Ref but just a few thoughts. I walked out of Agganis last night without the depressed feeling that i have today. We played exceptionally well for 45-50 minutes. Still can't get those dirty in tight goals. The crowd was pretty quiet and if you could have ask, surprised that this supposedly crappy team was taking it to their boys. Consistency and timely scoring are what this team is missing. There were a lot of skilled players out their but none able to solve the sliding transfer from Yale.
                    And speaking of swallowing the whistle. With approx. 6:26 left in the third, as most had exited the BU defensive end, Valasic (sp) gave MacAdams the most egregious and obvious cross check to the back of his head. As my jaw dropped I could see Shea about 15 feet behind the play. He was barking at Valasic but apparently had swallowed his whistle. So much for protecting the players heads.
                    While everyone is right that we need some snippers and pure scorers, this can be a very exciting and fun team to watch. Still say the beach coaching is a very significant missing element to greater consistency and success.
                    +1 ATW. You hit it all in the right places...what's been missing...Shea...ugh. Can't believe he was on that game back to back. Not acceptable. Wouldn't happen if BU was playing NU back to back after the beanpot...but we don't hold those cards. Anyone who's coached anything past Tball knows that whatever you can't seem to accomplish all season long, bites you in the end. I've experienced it, did my best to coach it up, but when the big games came and went, I knew where to look for our downfalls. Happens. This is something this team was not able to do this season. Souza has lamented about their maturity. It's not always something a coach can change. But you know WHAT can change? The CULTURE around a program. UNH hockey is in a flux of change. We've seen some good things this season, and, like you say, a fun team to watch when they are doing what they are capable of. We'll see what happens next year when most likely we lose 2 (maybe 3?) defenders to graduation/big leagues. Every year should be better than the last? Keep on trucking. I'll see you at UML! Go 'Cats!!

Ps...no one (well can't speak for all) thinks UNH is a crappy team. We have shown that when we play with what you speak of we are dangerous (especially if you are looking past). We played very well at home this season which was a highlight to be sure. Beat some big teams. Key terms you used: consistency and timely scoring. Been the thorn all season and it's the main reason we risk being on the outside looking in. Can't help but be disappointed as a fan. (and I'm sure the players aren't thrilled about that prospect either!) Didn't get a single break this weekend, that's also very true. Hockey Gods really weren't paying much attention to our games I guess!
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2020, 12:54 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Now, for something completely different ...

With the high emotions and tension I've admittedly contributed to on this thread over the last few days (and arguably longer), it's given me the impetus to get a head start on a new project I've been tinkering with for the coming off-season, which I also mentioned briefly in passing to a fellow poster on the recently-closed UNH thread. Shortly, maybe even tonight, I will launch The Effingwoods Hockey Almanac on here, where I (and others) can sometimes explore non-UNH stuff which can be either (semi) serious news, light-hearted satire, or even the occasional epic offseason bits. In doing so, hopefully this will give my fellow UNH posters some breathing room to stay more on-topic. My sincere apologies for the distractions.

And to "celebrate" the launching of this new venture, for fans (and even foes) of all things WIS … without being too vague or overpromising, I wanted to mention here first that the EHA's first feature has been accelerated by recent events, when yours truly received an interesting tip over the last 36 hours. It's nothing "incriminating" per se, but it's fascinating (to me anyway), and pertains to a topic that's been developing over the last week or so. If true - and so far, the dots do seem to be connecting - it's at the very least a compelling insight into Hockey East that many of us are not afforded. And while it might raise more questions than it answers ... at the very least, fans of transparency will want to see how this all turns out.

As has always been the case with WIS, all sources will remain anonymous, and tips will remain 100% confidential. WIS operatives are continuing to work 24/7 to independently confirm the accuracy of this tip. See you soon on the "other side"!!

Comment

UNH's Steve Metcalf named new HE commish
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          UNH's Steve Metcalf named new HE commish
                          Good for Steve, congrats! Serious question - does HE HQ now get relocated to Portsmouth?

Comment

Now, for something completely different ...

With the high emotions and tension I've admittedly contributed to on this thread over the last few days (and arguably longer), it's given me the impetus to get a head start on a new project I've been tinkering with for the coming off-season, which I also mentioned briefly in passing to a fellow poster on the recently-closed UNH thread. Shortly, maybe even tonight, I will launch The Effingwoods Hockey Almanac on here, where I (and others) can sometimes explore non-UNH stuff which can be either (semi) serious news, light-hearted satire, or even the occasional epic offseason bits. In doing so, hopefully this will give my fellow UNH posters some breathing room to stay more on-topic. My sincere apologies for the distractions.

And to "celebrate" the launching of this new venture, for fans (and even foes) of all things WIS … without being too vague or overpromising, I wanted to mention here first that the EHA's first feature has been accelerated by recent events, when yours truly received an interesting tip over the last 36 hours. It's nothing "incriminating" per se, but it's fascinating (to me anyway), and pertains to a topic that's been developing over the last week or so. If true - and so far, the dots do seem to be connecting - it's at the very least a compelling insight into Hockey East that many of us are not afforded. And while it might raise more questions than it answers ... at the very least, fans of transparency will want to see how this all turns out.

As has always been the case with WIS, all sources will remain anonymous, and tips will remain 100% confidential. WIS operatives are continuing to work 24/7 to independently confirm the accuracy of this tip. See you soon on the "other side"!!
                            Great idea! As the barkeep says when things get too heated between patrons, "take it outside!" :-)

Comment

Good for Steve, congrats! Serious question - does HE HQ now get relocated to Portsmouth?
                              So … none of our usually opinionated posters looking to take a swing at this one?

Maybe an easier one … will the #2 guy in the AD's office get to maintain any of his UNH ties?

Comment

Working...
                              X