Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Looking forward to paying like $4000 for your next smart phone, are you?
    The only thing good about smart phones are the flashlights. Other than that they're dumb!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I was wondering the same thing!
      NCAA to offer an extra year of eligibility for Spring sports. Haven’t read much on this but I doubt this applies to hockey and basketball. Anyone read up on it?

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Originally posted by norbert View Post
        NCAA to offer an extra year of eligibility for Spring sports. Haven’t read much on this but I doubt this applies to hockey and basketball. Anyone read up on it?
        https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ibility-relief

"In an email to a large group of administrators and other parties working in college athletics, committee chair Dr. Grace Calhoun, the athletic director at the University of Pennsylvania, wrote that the committee will "also discuss issues related to seasons of competition for winter sport student-athletes who were unable to participate in conference and NCAA championships."

It's unclear what options, if any, will be considered for winter sports athletes. Because the season was nearly complete, there are significant logistical challenges. However, a source told ESPN that the committee members wanted to discuss the issue further."

Geno Auriemma is a big proponent. I'm sure its a coincidence his team had five seniors on it.
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Chuck,

Your posts in this thread are among the most selfish statements I have ever read. You are not the victim of COVID-19. You are not the victim of the cancellation of college and professional sports as a result of national and global response to COVID-19. You lament partisan, perpetually offended culture of society today and you continue to be the most partisan and most offended person on any number of topics you bring to this board. The world does not revolve around you and your fellow citizens are not required to react to issues they face in a manner that pleases you...

People have died from this virus (5,080 is not a number I sneeze at when the alternative is my personal entertainment) and more certainly will - many will become infected and many are at risk. The number of future deaths/at risk patiencts would have undoubtedly risen exponentially had common sense steps not (finally) been taken to slow the spread of this virus across the country. All you've expressed in your posts is that it might not effect you personally and as a result you don't care. Why don't you just throw out a number as to how many lives are worth your ability to watch/attend sporting events in your golden years? How many lives have to be prevented by shutting down large events around the country to make it worthwhile for all of us to have inconvenienced you so greatly?

These are largely preventable deaths - if the right steps are taken - so if you're going to casual toss around numbers in the 5,000s as an inconvenience than you should probably take a long look in the mirror. Its not up to everyone else to accept the same level of risk that you are willing to accept. And it is not your right to put them at risk because you are not concerned. Unlike the people making this decision, you have zero responsibility at stake. Its easy for you condescend to all of us - as well as the people who actually have to combat this virus and make difficult decisions they don't want to make - from your couch. And that is certainly the only way you can make yourself the center of a global situation...

Setting the more important health risks aside, lets touch on the issue of cancelled collegiate activities so important to this board. As you know I work in college athletics - what I have worked so hard for is now out the window. My student-athletes have lost seasons of competition. I have seen colleagues and their student-athletes lose their seasons on the eve of potential championship competition. As hard as it is for all of them, I have yet to see any handle this situation without maturity, class and empathy for those who are dealing with much worse...

In your first post, not only do you fail to recognize the sacrifice made by the athletes actually competing in the sports you demand you are allowed to watch as one of your 'liberties'. In your subsequent post you denigrate their sacrifice, express disdain for them and mock their ability to accept these decisions with grace as 'soft' behavior. You could learn a lot from them in how they've handled one of the most difficult situations of their young lives...

Your attempts to misdirect the conversation into risks of everyday life are laughable. Analogies to the flu or automotive deaths are entirely transparent. Yes, people die from both and do so every day. Using that as a rationalization to argue against making common sense efforts to minimize risk and prevent preventable deaths in other ways is disgusting, especially when considering how much effort has been put into lowering death tolls related to the flu and to driving, giving us the numbers we have now. Your making straw-men arguments are designed to win a debate, politically instigate and convince yourself its okay to be so careless, nothing more...

If you don't want people to play the victim, than stop playing the victim. No one is forcing you to drive an automated car and no one is attacking your rights and liberties by putting sports on hold.

If you don't like people playing the partisan sheep, than stop being so **** partisan. Perhaps drastic decisions could have been avoided if the COVID-19 virus was respected a serious concern from the start and we weren't subjected to partisan rants about how it was entirely a hoax, that things were fine and that it was all a deep-state creation to kill the market and bruise the president's ego. If we had handled it like adults, maybe you'd still be able to watch 20 year old kids work their asses off so that they could adequately skate around for your god-given, inalienable right to be entertained...

We've gotten to a point where these decisions have had to be made. One Utah Jazz player infected with COVID-19 means the entire league is infected if they keep playing (and who knows how many staff, fans, etc). The same is true for any collegiate athlete/sport, which means the likely and substantial spread through the rest of the citizenry as a result and eventually to people with significant risk. And I know you'd never request that after fulfilling their duty of entertaining you they be quarantined/isolated from the rest of the population, putting their lives on hold - you know, civil liberties and all...

These decisions are the only ones that could be made, for your benefit even if you deny it. In many ways the government exists to protect people like you from themselves (as well as everyone you might take down with you while you exercise your 'freedoms') - but assuming you know more than those schooled, trained and paid to do so, tell me, what is the worst thing that happens if you're right? You're inconvenienced for a couple of weeks/months? Now think about what is the worst thing that could happen if you're wrong...

You revel in this 'panic' because it gives you another opportunity to come to these boards and tell us how smart, tough minded and righteous you are. If you didn't, you'd stop watching the news that is gearing all its platforms towards telling you people are panicking. It is not panic to make decisions in the best interest of other people. It is not panic to take steps to prevent the preventable.

Five thousand deaths (and who knows how many more) might be a measly and easily dismissable number for you, but its easy for me to recognize my current good fortune in this situation. Despite the end of my season, and the pain of my student-athletes, I have no serious connection to the virus at this time (family, athletes, friends). Out of empathy, it is my experience, that the vast majority of those actually sacrificing their athletic seasons (after months and years of hard work) are disappointed, but willing to do whatever is deemed necessary to minimize the risk towards those seriously affected moving forward. And no one gives a rat's *** about your ability to watch on TV or eat popcorn in the stands, or your personal opinion on the viability of them sacrificing their season...
          Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
            [url]
            Geno Auriemma is a big proponent. I'm sure its a coincidence his team had five seniors on it.
            Only one of UConn’s five seniors is averaging more than 3.1 PPG, so...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Re global supply chain...

Peak of American manufacturing jobs was 1979. We haven't hit a peak of American manufacturing output, it is still going up. I work at a company that has been in sourcing since 2012/2013. Built a foundry in the US, BUT we aren't adding that many jobs. Wages in China are actually high been 20% wage inflation per year for more than a decade... So automate here or automate there, we choose here.

Problem the US has right now the Chinese are better (manufacturing) capitalist. Little manufacturing companies spring up, scratch & claw, make something and then figure out how to grow.

P.S. I am a libraterian, I believe in small government and freedom. I also believe in educating yourself and then using your brain. Turns out my life has been moderately (at best) inconvenienced by being smart about Covid-19... I find the indignation about being smart entertaining... During the London Blitz the British were smart to inconvenience themselves...
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post

Peak of American manufacturing jobs was 1979. We haven't hit a peak of American manufacturing output, it is still going up. I work at a company that has been in sourcing since 2012/2013. Built a foundry in the US, BUT we aren't adding that many jobs. Wages in China are actually high been 20% wage inflation per year for more than a decade... So automate here or automate there, we choose here.

Problem the US has right now the Chinese are better (manufacturing) capitalist. Little manufacturing companies spring up, scratch & claw, make something and then figure out how to grow.

P.S. I am a libraterian, I believe in small government and freedom. I also believe in educating yourself and then using your brain. Turns out my life has been moderately (at best) inconvenienced by being smart about Covid-19... I find the indignation about being smart entertaining... During the London Blitz the British were smart to inconvenience themselves...
                I source product both domestically and internationally. I have been going to China since 1992 and have made over 50 trips. All companies in China are under strict government control. They tell you what you can make, when and how much of it. You want to start a company? All banks are owned by the gov’t so a loan will come with a price. Also, best be connected to a member of the “party”. To say they are more capitalist is simply not true. Opportunists? Yes. They steal intellectual property and patents. They do not create them.
                Last edited by scoreboard; 03-13-2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                  I source product both domestically and internationally. I have been going to China since 1992 and have made over 50 trips. All companies in China are under strict government control. They tell you what you can make and how much of it. You want to start a company? All banks are owned by the gov’t so a loan will come with a price. Also, best be connected to a member of the “party”. To say they are more capitalist is simply not true. They steal intellectual property and patents. They do not create them.
                  I have been multiple times as well. Some of the IP theft depends on the industry, and there is plenty of IP theft elsewhere. Yes everything in China is under some level of government control. Capitalist want to work hard to build something they own to fill a need. Well these owners are building business they own to fill needs and working extremely hard. People costs go up they figure out how to automate. China is not Soviet style central manufacturing and production control. I don't like the government structure either or that they are master copiers, that doesn't mean these business owners aren't capitalist.
                  Last edited by JB; 03-13-2020, 09:39 PM.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Fantastic. Hopefully more companies will follow this path going forwards. Don't see how we can justify continuing down the path of putting huge, key chunks of our supply chain under the control of those who wish to do us harm, as pointed out as follows ...

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                    I source product both domestically and internationally. I have been going to China since 1992 and have made over 50 trips. All companies in China are under strict government control. They tell you what you can make, when and how much of it. You want to start a company? All banks are owned by the gov’t so a loan will come with a price. Also, best be connected to a member of the “party”. To say they are more capitalist is simply not true. Opportunists? Yes. They steal intellectual property and patents. They do not create them.
                    Bingo. This is not how business partners interact with each other.

We've been fed a fallacy of "this will force China to become more free and capitalist" for far too long, and with administrations on both sides of the aisle, until now. The Hong Kong riots were an ominous foreshadowing of what has since followed. And to their eternal shame, the NBA and far too many other corporate entities still crawl into bed regularly as Chi-con apologists.

If China was ever going to transform into a good, mutually beneficial actor on the world stage, on its own volition, it would have happened already. It hasn't. So it's time to provide the further incentives to bring business back to the US. Puerto Rico used to do significant manufacturing in the pharmaceutical industry. They are begging for a chance to become a relevant part of the US again. Why not rebuild that infrastructure where there is some legacy, and get us out from under the control of those who would harm us? Not going to happen overnight, but a win-win situation, no??

I'll check back after the weekend, guys. Much life is left to be lived, I was pleasantly surprised tonight about the general spirit of folks wanting to get out and socialize at restaurants and bars. On the flip side, some ongoing abhorrent panic-stricken behavior at local supermarkets, but when the MSM bombards you 24/7/365 with Doomsday Part 876, it's hard to not let it affect your behavior.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I have been multiple times as well. Some of the IP theft depends on the industry, and there is plenty of IP theft elsewhere. Yes everything in China is under some level of government control. Capitalist want to work hard to build something they own to fill a need. Well these owners are building business they own to fill needs and working extremely hard. People costs go up they figure out how to automate. I don't like the government structure either or that they are master copiers, that doesn't mean these business owners aren't capitalist.
                      They are capitalists in the respect they want to make money but not in the way we think of a capitalist. An American capitalist is less gov’t intrusion.They are not your average Joe just starting up a business. To be be successful you need a government connection. Also, the gov’t has final say over your business not you. I have been in factories when they’ve had their rolling blackouts and had to stop production, Unlike Americans, they would not dare bash their government over the internet. Something USCHOers don’t have to worry about.
                      Last edited by scoreboard; 03-13-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        I'll check back after the weekend, guys. Much life is left to be lived, I was pleasantly surprised tonight about the general spirit of folks wanting to get out and socialize at restaurants and bars. On the flip side, some ongoing abhorrent panic-stricken behavior at local supermarkets, but when the MSM bombards you 24/7/365 with Doomsday Part 876, it's hard to not let it affect your behavior.
                        This is what happens when you have 24 hour news channels. Something needs to be news and emotion sells. What is worse? Social media where rumor sells, it is worse that the 24 hour news.

As to the Chinese stealing patents... Plenty of history in the US of dirty tricks to steal IP, Ford and interval wipers, GE and Tesla's patents, etc.

In that conservative sprit of personal responsibility, shame on the companies that gave their secret sauce to Chinese partners. They knew China wasn't going to enforce patent laws. That has been known for decades. Yet they gave away their secret for cheaper manufacturing. Now they want the "nanny state" to protect them, reap what you sow.
                        Last edited by JB; 03-13-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                          They are capitalists in the respect they want to make money but not in the way we think of a capitalist. They are not your average Joe just starting up a business. To be be successful you need a government connection. Also, the gov’t has final say over your business not you. I have been in factories when they’ve had their rolling blackouts and had to stop production, Unlike Americans, they would not dare bash their government over the internet. Something USCHOers don’t have to worry about.
                          I am not sure democracy and free speech and capitalism are all required at the same time.

Note several of our factories choose to go low power when electric loads on the grid are high. Typically on super hot summer days. The grid service things like hospitals first. We do it by choice rather than have it forced on us randomly. Those factories are in the US...

Comment

I am not sure democracy and free speech and capitalism are all required at the same time.

Note several of our factories choose to go low power when electric loads on the grid are high. Typically on super hot summer days. The grid service things like hospitals first. We do it by choice rather than have it forced on us randomly. Those factories are in the US...
                            Exactly, your company chose to do that. Good for them. The lights just didn’t go off suddenly without your company’s knowledge.
                            Last edited by scoreboard; 03-13-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Love all this hockey talk! 😁
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                Love all this hockey talk! 😁
                                The Chinese National Hockey team stinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X