Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Where Do We Go From Here....

Chuck, well said on so many fronts. If you thought about the risks we face EVERY day, people wouldn't leave the house. Many of the people crying close the schools, stay at home, are the same ones driving 85 in their Prius because I am "helping" the environment.

Life is one big lottery. Everyone wants to win the "lottery" and we do, every day, statistically speaking. There is a money lottery, the athletic 7 ft tall lottery, a 36-24-36 version, 1 in 20 million cancer one, the list goes on. Now we are talking about the 5,806 in 7.5 BILLION lottery and we have to shut down the world.

Remember Thy History - In 1976, there was a swine flu outbreak that was the next pandemic. A vaccine was rushed thru to solve it, and was forced on the military. The end result? 1, yes 1 (ONE) death attributed to the that flu and untold more deaths of people who took the untested VACCINE.
    Last edited by Whalers; 03-13-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      'Watcher, I beg to disagree. Every time someone shuts down something, things that are part of everyday life, that is altering my everyday existence, and the choices I get to make.
      So, some individual deciding you can't watch NCAA hockey "alters" your life, but having uniformed people actually spreading a disease that will cause thousands of deaths is not something you want to alter?

But this time around, we're literally seeing a few people catch a cold, and the rest of us are getting thrown into isolation, even when we don't have any symptoms.
      You're use of the word "literally" to misstate a fact -- as the Fox newsers have done -- calling this a cold just shows that you are not content to rationally look at this. If you truly are agnostic and just a liberatarian, then why does it bother you too much? I suspect its because you have a political agenda driving your thoughts more than a principled thought process.

No one - not one person -- under the age of 50 has died from this in the US, yet we're now closing schools. This all just flows from the same folks who now cancel school when there's an inch or two of snow on the ground, or a layer of ice on the roads. Whether it's attributable to an extremely overcautious groupthink mindset, OR because those folks worry incessantly about the next ambulance chaser coming down the pike with a personal injury lawsuit, I dunno. Maybe both??
      Or maybe they are looking at facts from other countries, and can actually forecast what will happen without action. When you go to a hockey game and the goalie gives up 2 goals in the first 10 seconds, do you also say "what is everyone worried about, its only two goals." You want a preview of what would come without drasitc measures?

17:08 GMT - Italy hits one-day record with 250 new deaths
      Italy has recorded its highest one-day death toll yet from cases of the new coronavirus, according to official data.

There were 250 deaths recorded over the past 24 hours, taking the total to 1,266, with 17,660 infections overall, a rise of 2,547 since Thursday evening.

You think the NCAA is caving in to lose billions, just because of some peer pressure? Maybe they are not panicking but making smart decisions>

Regardless, now too many regular folks are delving further and further into panic-driven actions, like buying out grocery stores, and creating shortages of some staples. And every time someone - whether it's our President or folks on this forum - try to talk sense and urge folks not to delve into panic, it comes back in the other direction in waves of "you are a -ist".
      That you call the President talking "sense" when everyone says otherwise, and he keeps chaning his story about containment, suggests you are looking at this through a political, not logical view.

But now we're only hearing the downside, sometimes from the usual suspects, and "caution"-driven fear and panic rules over any effort to inject a sense of balance into the reality of the situation.

I'm sorry to repeat this, but I will. As a people, we've all just become so, so collectively soft.
      Sometimes what people without information see as "panic" is really just rational decisions by more informed people. The fact that you call produnt responses a "panic" shows the double standard you are employing. Let them live their lives, just like you want us to let you run yours.

So, i summary, like your discussion of other issues related to politics, you tend to get jacked up and repeat Right wing talking points (Pocahontas, Greta, etc) rather than ever addressing the facts. And no, linking to babylonlee and a debunked non-scientist web site from the 70s about global warming isn't what I cann a rational perspective.
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-13-2020, 02:33 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
        Chuck is a pedantic bore with slightly better language skills that Trump.
        Your only claim to fame is taking swipes at other posters. I've never quite figured out who you root for but you always seem to be rooting against UNH.
        Last edited by e.cat; 03-13-2020, 03:13 PM.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

We all need to keep in perspective that the coronavirus is not a death sentence. The panic going on with the cancellations, the toilet paper and food buying and general "we are all going to die" is so far out of proportion to reality. The vast majority of people wont even know they have it. Of the percentage that do get the test and find out they are infected, 99.8% will survive, UNLESS you fall into one of the high risk categories, where the percentages are 15-20%. Do I, or one of my loved ones, want to be in one of those categories? No. But those are the ones who need to take the precautions. If you have blonde hair and blue eyes, can you go in the sun all day unprotected? No, you take pre-cautions. Hook up with the town pump without protections, no, you take pre-cautions (and probably a pennicillin shot).

Take a deep breath. 99.999999999999996% of us will be here when this is over.

PS: I think Chuck was correct on Pocahontas.
          Last edited by Whalers; 03-13-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Your only claim to fame is taking swipes at other posters. I've never quite figured out who you root for but you always seen to be rooting against UNH.
            That’s UHN.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

It is math. It is also looking at the lessons from the two real hot spots, China and Italy. Both ran out of hospital beds and equipment.

Remember Italy has more doctors and hospital beds per capita than the US.

Your analogy of the London Blitz is actually spot on. Protect smartly and keep living best you can.

London: under ground away from the bombing at night, best you can during the day

US: social distance to slow the spread, use the technology we have to continue best you can... Note I am sitting in my office at work.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

UNH’s Olympic-sized rink set to be scaled down:
                https://tnhdigital.com/2020/03/13/un...e-scaled-down/

McDonnell cleared to return for 2020 football season:
                https://tnhdigital.com/2020/03/13/mc...otball-season/
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                  Did you listen to or watch the Rose Garden address? Chuck's language skills are far superior to President Trump's.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Did you listen to or watch the Rose Garden address? Chuck's language skills are far superior to President Trump's.
                    I stand corrected!
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                      Chuck, well said on so many fronts. If you thought about the risks we face EVERY day, people wouldn't leave the house. Many of the people crying close the schools, stay at home, are the same ones driving 85 in their Prius because I am "helping" the environment.

Life is one big lottery. Everyone wants to win the "lottery" and we do, every day, statistically speaking. There is a money lottery, the athletic 7 ft tall lottery, a 36-24-36 version, 1 in 20 million cancer one, the list goes on. Now we are talking about the 5,806 in 7.5 BILLION lottery and we have to shut down the world.

Remember Thy History - In 1976, there was a swine flu outbreak that was the next pandemic. A vaccine was rushed thru to solve it, and was forced on the military. The end result? 1, yes 1 (ONE) death attributed to the that flu and untold more deaths of people who took the untested VACCINE.
                      Nice to see there are unafraid, independent, clear-thinking folks out there.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      You're not fooling anyone but yourself. But that is your right...

You're the softest, partisan among us. Kudos for already laying the ground work for your victory lap. If 100,000+ don't die you were right and any response was meaningless? I could just as easily argue that 4 million would have died if we'd let you attend the Frozen Four and now we've saved all those lives. Lol...

I have nothing to apologize for because I'm not panicking. I haven't seen any panic (we certainly shop at different grocery stores). I see intelligent (read educated in this field) people making proactive decisions to prevent the serious spread of a virus that could effect the most vulnerable among us at minimal invasion to the rest of us. And yes, I'm able to do that even though I might brush it off rather easily as a 30-something in excellent health.

I also see you playing partisan and breathlessly espousing over and over that your liberty is at stake, while making sure to hammer home the point, that anyone who succumbs to this disease is simply not your problem. The reality is you have been at worst, minorly inconvenienced - you just wanted something to complain about.

You are the easily offended, soft, perpetual whiner you despise.
                      I'm not offended or whining, Dan. I offer a different viewpoint, and you offer yours. It's called debate; suck it up and deal with it. I don't accuse you of whining or being offended if you happen to disagree with me. I might disagree with 'Watcher on a lot of things, but it never devolves into name-calling. But with you, it seems I can always count on you to pile on after the adults in the room have already chimed in. You could probably learn from that … but my money is on the likelihood you probably won't.

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                      This may be the single nicest thing Uncle Jack has ever said about me. Thanks!

FWIW I find it funny how our President got hammered weeks ago for shutting down travel to China - something that's now seen as having been a critical positive step in protecting the US - and has also been advocating non-stop for 4-5 years now to bring manufacturing back to this country from places like China. Any of you globalists out there, hands up, admit you got this wrong, and the President continues to get that one right … show of hands, please??

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

McDonnell cleared to return for 2020 football season:
                        https://tnhdigital.com/2020/03/13/mc...otball-season/
                        This was a nice piece of news that's come in decidedly under the radar.

Comment

But this time around, we're literally seeing a few people catch a cold, and the rest of us are getting thrown into isolation, even when we don't have any symptoms. No one - not one person -- under the age of 50 has died from this in the US, yet we're now closing schools. This all just flows from the same folks who now cancel school when there's an inch or two of snow on the ground, or a layer of ice on the roads. Whether it's attributable to an extremely overcautious groupthink mindset, OR because those folks worry incessantly about the next ambulance chaser coming down the pike with a personal injury lawsuit, I dunno. Maybe both??
                          Literally NOT a cold. Who has been thrown into isolation and where are these isolation places?

This is different than cancelling school for snow/ice, which if a bus or two tragically crashed the absolute worst case scenario would be <100 deaths. The CDC web site says we are currently at 41 corona virus deaths and this virus is just getting started.

Almost twenty (20) years ago, we literally were under coordinated attack from a foreign enemy on our home soil, and thousands of people were killed in the blink of an eye. There was some panic - what else might be coming next? - and it was warranted, even if the follow-up attacks never came to fruition. We (US) recovered and rebounded quickly, and that served as a shining example of what this country still can be … if we let it be.
                          Ask an injured veteran or the survivors of those killed (2 this week) how well we recovered and rebounded.

But now we're only hearing the downside, sometimes from the usual suspects, and "caution"-driven fear and panic rules over any effort to inject a sense of balance into the reality of the situation.
                          Better safe than sorry. Be prepared. We are not. The administration should have added the president of Ventilators-r-Us to the Rose Garden CEO parade to tell us how he was ramping up production.

I'm sorry to repeat this, but I will. As a people, we've all just become so, so collectively soft.
                          Agreed.

Comment

FWIW I find it funny how our President got hammered weeks ago for shutting down travel to China - something that's now seen as having been a critical positive step in protecting the US - and has also been advocating non-stop for 4-5 years now to bring manufacturing back to this country from places like China. Any of you globalists out there, hands up, admit you got this wrong, and the President continues to get that one right … show of hands, please??
                            Looking forward to paying like $4000 for your next smart phone, are you?

Comment

Looking forward to paying like $4000 for your next smart phone, are you?
                              Overstating things a little bit, no? Once you get away from the coastal metropolises, there are still plenty of parts of our country where folks would welcome the jobs. Those are the places that elected our President Trump. Some travel/shipping costs would be reduced, and the reliability of the chains would become more resilient, no? If I had to pay a few hundred dollars more for my tech to keep it in the US, sign me up. It's really a no-brainer, especially in light of recent events.

If you still want to use global supply chains to approximate current cost structures … why not Africa instead? They could use the jobs, my guess is the cost would be similar to China, and most importantly - most (if not all) of the countries across Africa aren't ideologically opposed to our way of life like they are in totalitarian Communist China?

Comment

Overstating things a little bit, no? Once you get away from the coastal metropolises, there are still plenty of parts of our country where folks would welcome the jobs. Those are the places that elected our President Trump. Some travel/shipping costs would be reduced, and the reliability of the chains would become more resilient, no? If I had to pay a few hundred dollars more for my tech to keep it in the US, sign me up. It's really a no-brainer, especially in light of recent events.

If you still want to use global supply chains to approximate current cost structures … why not Africa instead? They could use the jobs, my guess is the cost would be similar to China, and most importantly - most (if not all) of the countries across Africa aren't ideologically opposed to our way of life like they are in totalitarian Communist China?
                                Yes. Hence the

Wages and labor burdens would increase and I suspect the quality would go down. You have a few hundred more, many do not.

All that dormant African manufacturing infrastructure has been keeping me up nights.

Comment

Working...
                                X