Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for members

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
    I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much interaction between members like there used to be only a few short seasons ago. What's changed?
    Wait for it.........
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
      I miss the good old days
      Wait for it........
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        This board has been dying a slow death for 10 years.
        All together now......

Its All RIT's Fault!
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Re: The death of the forum

Originally posted by soccermaniac919 View Post
          It certainly doesn't help when the team you support sucks. Look at all the teams having "down" years, and the corresponding absence of threads dedicated to their teams. Seems that once your team goes into a funk, the posting momentum is lost forever.

Also, and probably more influential, the number of posters whose sole intent is to create flame-fests and ridicule others' opinions. There are/were a bunch of them from Lake Forest, Utica, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Potsdam & Elmira who collectively drove a number of us off the board. For each new opinionated, combative poster that joined, a more rationale poster would leave.
          I disagree. People on here loved the vitriol. (Which seems to be the case in a political sense across the board as well, right now.) Threads would blow up when there was a hot flame-fest to witness.

My take is that we're now an insular group here- all of us aging, with very little recruitment to the board- and people tend to re-prioritize Life as they age. Sports just don't matter as much to us these days. We all have much bigger fish to fry as we bury our families and prepare for our own dirt-naps.

Ergo, less impetus to pay attention, or to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I disagree. People on here loved the vitriol. (Which seems to be the case in a political sense across the board as well, right now.) Threads would blow up when there was a hot flame-fest to witness.

My take is that we're now an insular group here- all of us aging, with very little recruitment to the board- and people tend to re-prioritize Life as they age. Sports just don't matter as much to us these days. We all have much bigger fish to fry as we bury our families and prepare for our own dirt-naps.

Ergo, less impetus to pay attention, or to post.
            I spent 2+ hours scouting our next opponent for my sons travel team. I did have the Plattsburgh game up in the background, but have yet to go to a game and have only watched a handful. Mostly because my weekends are traveling 2-3 hours one way for hockey...and never when/where Plattsburgh is in town.

While I somewhat agree with Fish on the "flamefest", just like with all social media its given a platform for a lot of people to give their "opinions", and while everyone is entitled to them, backing them up with facts and stats is something that most people dont grasp on here. Anyone can give an opinion, but if you dont substantiate it with facts and or stats it doesnt carry much yet those are the ones who normally feel entitled to post and cause flamefests. At least with Fish he can normally back his flamefests up with logical thoughts (for the most part right Fish). And while we may not agree, it will at least make you think. Then you get the snowflakes who dont like being told their opinion makes no sense, and because it's the internet they HAVE to be right...and if you tell them otherwise they will run away pouting kicking and screaming....sadly much like today's society....
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              I spent 2+ hours scouting our next opponent for my sons travel team. I did have the Plattsburgh game up in the background, but have yet to go to a game and have only watched a handful. Mostly because my weekends are traveling 2-3 hours one way for hockey...and never when/where Plattsburgh is in town.

While I somewhat agree with Fish on the "flamefest", just like with all social media its given a platform for a lot of people to give their "opinions", and while everyone is entitled to them, backing them up with facts and stats is something that most people dont grasp on here. Anyone can give an opinion, but if you dont substantiate it with facts and or stats it doesnt carry much yet those are the ones who normally feel entitled to post and cause flamefests. At least with Fish he can normally back his flamefests up with logical thoughts (for the most part right Fish). And while we may not agree, it will at least make you think. Then you get the snowflakes who dont like being told their opinion makes no sense, and because it's the internet they HAVE to be right...and if you tell them otherwise they will run away pouting kicking and screaming....sadly much like today's society....
              Good post, Champs, but we haven't had a haven't had a decent squabble for years, either...

Getting old!

Comment

Re: The death of the forum

Originally posted by soccermaniac919 View Post
                It certainly doesn't help when the team you support sucks. Look at all the teams having "down" years, and the corresponding absence of threads dedicated to their teams. Seems that once your team goes into a funk, the posting momentum is lost forever.

Also, and probably more influential, the number of posters whose sole intent is to create flame-fests and ridicule others' opinions. There are/were a bunch of them from Lake Forest, Utica, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Potsdam & Elmira who collectively drove a number of us off the board. For each new opinionated, combative poster that joined, a more rationale poster would leave.
                When writers become readers........

Comment

It doesn't help when people show up and do things like share information on a huge topic like the retirement of Bob Emery, months before anyone else knew or had the guts to say it themselves, and they just get shouted down by the same handful of people left here who obviously had zero information of their own but felt qualified to pop off anyway. Then after being proven completely wrong still wouldn't own up to it. With that sort of treatment why would anyone bother to share good information or a contrarian opinion? You buried yourselves and continue to do so even though none of you are capable of realizing or admitting it. But whatever, now back to your worthless circle crank.

Comment

LOL, this is reason people left the boards...So you got a scoop, want a medal? I've had like 100 plus in my time of the boards: which is 17 years more than you

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                      LOL, this is reason people left the boards...So you got a scoop, want a medal? I've had like 100 plus in my time of the boards: which is 17 years more than you
                      The reason this board is growing moribund (IMO) is that young people have so many more options now...

Hell, if Tinder and Instagram had existed in 1990, I'd have **cked myself to death by 1993, and would have never budgeted time to talk about college hockey.

(Remember land-lines, and actual husbands???)

We still have each other to bicker-with, and that's fun enough. When this board is officially dead, most of us will be in the same boat.

I'm happy that there's still some interest here, until there won't be any interest anymore.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X