This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    True enough. But a Maine stumble wouldn't be a shock.

This team has benefited greatly from a perfect storm at BC. Maine went from 31 to 15 overnight as a result.

That was 3-card-Monte circumstance, but it could hold up if Maine runs the table, or nearly does.

Peeps, this Maine team isn't any better up-front than the other recent ones. We all know that. It's been about the soft schedule, the general parity, but mostly about Swayman.

Still, if the cards fall, Maine might get a bid, and I'll be in Albany to see them if that happens.
    Watching NU... speed kills. So Breen, Morrissey, Gould, and Dallas need come in. All small. But all fast.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      The NCAA doesn't care. It gets paid no matter what. And it can tell the hosts "Hey, we gave you local Big 10 teams!"

If Maine does what it should the next four games the Bears could be atop Hockey East on Miracle Day. That doesn't mean they'll win the title - other teams will have multiple games in hand - but home ice is almost guaranteed. But Maine has to beat UConn twice to get there. Two wins in six years...
      If Maine gets home ice I would favor them to win against any of their plausible opponents except for maybe Providence. If they were to go on the road I could only see them having a shot at Tsongas or Agganis, and possibly Conte if they can keep up the magic. Home ice will be huge, and it's in their grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        If Maine gets home ice I would favor them to win against any of their plausible opponents except for maybe Providence. If they were to go on the road I could only see them having a shot at Tsongas or Agganis, and possibly Conte if they can keep up the magic. Home ice will be huge, and it's in their grasp.
        I think you worry to much. I think we are well suited against any team in hockey east.

Comment

Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          Watching NU... speed kills. So Breen, Morrissey, Gould, and Dallas need come in. All small. But all fast.
          Can Red coach speed?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Fossier got a Dean Smith award and 20 members of the team got Academic achievement awards. Congrats to those guys
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Can Red coach speed?
              Well he did last week. I mean Maine did a good job of closing the gaps, chasing the puck, and had good team speed. NU was better at passing and moving the puck cleanly but Maine got there to break it up and was actually good on the boards.
              They can do it, there's no room for error now. At this point it's up to the team. Not sure how much Red will help.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Can Red coach speed?
                Oh, I thought you were supposed to take speed, not coach it

Yeah why not, just coach the speedsters to go get the puck and move it with speed
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Maine can't finish. They never have under Red.

Averaging <2.5 GPG would seem to put them in No-wheres-ville, but they're certainly in the conversation right now, which is kinda amazing.

If this team is going anywhere, it'll be because of the excellent goal-tending and the very decent D.

They get a bid, they have a shot at the FF. I actually believe that. But the getting-in will the hard part. Maine is only a couple of mis-steps from dropping completely out of the PW picture.
                  Let’s hope the mis-step message is front and center on the coaches and players minds. Sounds like based on what I am hearing on this board that UMaine has the talent to get it done this season. No excuses, hard work doesn’t take talent
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

The NCAA doesn't care. It gets paid no matter what. And it can tell the hosts "Hey, we gave you local Big 10 teams!"

If Maine does what it should the next four games the Bears could be atop Hockey East on Miracle Day. That doesn't mean they'll win the title - other teams will have multiple games in hand - but home ice is almost guaranteed. But Maine has to beat UConn twice to get there. Two wins in six years...
                    They needed help from Providence to have any chance of winning hockey east. Second is the best case scenario at this point.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Bottom line "IF" they can get Home ice for the 1st round that has to be a added bonus to the season.

Comment

"Home ice is almost guaranteed."??? Maine isn't catching UMass. Not catching Lowell - they've got a game in hand. We're "tied" with BC right now, but they have not one, but two games in hand. That's three teams that will clearly finish the season ahead of Maine. BU is only one point back and has a game in hand. UHN is only a point back. And UConn is only two points back, has a game in hand, and will face da Bears for two this weekend - which means the status of just those two teams could look a LOT different in a week's time. Guaranteed? I'm too busy to look at all the upcoming games in the league, but I don't think they're even guaranteed a top 8 finish.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                          "Home ice is almost guaranteed."??? Maine isn't catching UMass. Not catching Lowell - they've got a game in hand. We're "tied" with BC right now, but they have not one, but two games in hand. That's three teams that will clearly finish the season ahead of Maine. BU is only one point back and has a game in hand. UHN is only a point back. And UConn is only two points back, has a game in hand, and will face da Bears for two this weekend - which means the status of just those two teams could look a LOT different in a week's time. Guaranteed? I'm too busy to look at all the upcoming games in the league, but I don't think they're even guaranteed a top 8 finish.
                          What he said was if they win their next four games they are nearly guaranteed home ice. He didn't say anything about how it stands right now.

Comment

UMass has 2 with Lowell.

Lowell has 2 with UMass, 2 with NU and 2 with UNH.

BC has 2 with NU, 2 with UNH and 1 with BU.

I think that things are pretty much up in there air right now.

Comment

If after games on 22 February they have 28 points then yes, they'll likely be in first place with home ice virtually guaranteed. If they lose or even tie any of the next four games all bets are off - both conference and nationally. The margin is razor thin.

Comment

50-1 odds to win the national title, however

https://***********/twolinepass/stat...657479680?s=21

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X