X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Yep. Replace Cornell with St Cloud and it'd be exactly the same.
    Maine was in Albany the year before as well (2006). UNH, Michigan State, Harvard and Maine. Maine defeated Michigan State in final game and went to the Frozen Four. My wife and I were there and the attendance was very low. It was called the Times Union then and was home ice to the River Rats I believe.

Comment

All the hard work of the past month and the accompanying fan excitement is for naught if Maine can't find a way past UConn. The Black Bears are 0-3-1 in the last four and have only beaten the Huskies twice in eleven games over six seasons. In a conference where only three points separates third place and ninth, anything less than a sweep and four points will be a disappointment.

Comment

All the hard work of the past month and the accompanying fan excitement is for naught if Maine can't find a way past UConn. The Black Bears are 0-3-1 in the last four and have only beaten the Huskies twice in eleven games over six seasons. In a conference where only three points separates third place and ninth, anything less than a sweep and four points will be a disappointment.
        Believe of those two games one was at Fenway and the other was courtesy of a really nice Nolan Vesey goal in overtime. Not a great track record at all. I hope I’m wrong but see a split.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Right now I have Maine as the 4 seed in Albany playing Cornell, with UMass and Clarkson in the other game.
          Just curious, what would it take to get Maine placed in the Allentown regional?

Selfishly hoping because it's less than a half hour from me.

Comment

It looks like Maine will finish the night at 13 in the pairwise. Thank you Pedo State, Brown and UMass. If BU wins the Crockpot on Monday night it will lift Maine to 12.

Right now I have Maine as the 4 seed in Albany playing Cornell, with UMass and Clarkson in the other game.
            I think Maine is in Albany if they get in. If Northeastern and BC also get in, they'll find a way to keep them in Worcester. They'll probably send Lowell to Allentown or out west. That's with the teams currently in if the tournament started today, but I see Providence clawing their way back into the field.

Comment

I'm more concerned they lose a game to VT. I can see them being up for this weekend and pressing CT. Then thinking it's in the bag for VT and getting burnt.
              Not sure if red can keep them focused.

Comment

It looks like Maine will finish the night at 13 in the pairwise. Thank you Pedo State, Brown and UMass. If BU wins the Crockpot on Monday night it will lift Maine to 12.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/ncaapwcr.php

Comment

Anybody know when Westerlund is coming back?

Comment

I can understand not beating PC, PC teams have been good to great since Red took over but UConn, give me a break.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                      Just curious, what would it take to get Maine placed in the Allentown regional?

Selfishly hoping because it's less than a half hour from me.
                      When you're a 3 or 4 seed it is all a matter of pairing with the 1 and 2 seeds. Maine gets Cornell because the Big Red can't play Quinnipiac and avoids Allentown because Ohio State is a much better attendance draw there. The NCAA will want Maine's considerable fanbase in either Worcester or Albany if at all possible. Considering the potential field, Maine will only end up in Allentown if there are a) two #1's and b) a #4 from the same conference and c) Maine is also a #4. Right now, the best chance for that would be if North Dakota and Denver or Duluth are #1's and Western or Omaha sneak in (or get the autobid) and the NCAA is forced to place Maine there.

It could also happen if BC and UMass are both #1 and seeded in Worcester and Albany and Maine is a #4. Possible also if BC and UMass are #2 and Maine is a #3.
                      Last edited by ticapnews; 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

When you're a 3 or 4 seed it is all a matter of pairing with the 1 and 2 seeds. Maine gets Cornell because the Big Red can't play Quinnipiac and avoids Allentown because Ohio State is a much better attendance draw there. The NCAA will want Maine's considerable fanbase in either Worcester or Albany if at all possible. Considering the potential field, Maine will only end up in Allentown if there are a) two #1's and b) a #4 from the same conference and c) Maine is also a #4. Right now, the best chance for that would be if North Dakota and Denver or Duluth are #1's and Western or Omaha sneak in (or get the autobid) and the NCAA is forced to place Maine there.
                        OSU's draw the last time they were in Allentown was about 12 - give or take

Comment

Good interview of Doherty...
                          https://929theticket.com/in-the-seats-with-tim-doherty/

Evidently this is his final season even though he didn’t play any games his freshman year at Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            Maine was in Albany the year before as well (2006). UNH, Michigan State, Harvard and Maine. Maine defeated Michigan State in final game and went to the Frozen Four. My wife and I were there and the attendance was very low. It was called the Times Union then and was home ice to the River Rats I believe.
                            Yup. And the Harvard game was epic. Maine trailed (I think) 4-1 going into the 3rd, Frank Doyle replaced Jimmy, stood on his head, and Maine made a frenzied comeback to win in regulation. Probably my favorite game ever, aside from a couple in '93 and '99.

This Maine team bears little resemblance to that one. I believe the PW misrepresents them right now. If they don't stay hot, they'll sink like a stone.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-09-2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                              OSU's draw the last time they were in Allentown was about 12 - give or take
                              Nobody showed up there. That Regional was a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Yup. And the Harvard game was epic. Maine trailed (I think) 4-1 going into the 3rd, Frank Doyle replaced Jimmy, stood on his head, and Maine made a frenzied comeback to win in regulation. Probably my favorite game ever, aside from a couple in '93 and '99.

This Maine team bears little resemblance to that one. I believe the PW misrepresents them right now. If they don't stay hot, they'll sink like a stone.
                                That was 2004.

Comment

Working...
                                X