This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

Speaking of futility, anyone want to wager on when the baseball team will get its first win? My over/under is 13.5 losses before winning.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      Speaking of futility, anyone want to wager on when the baseball team will get its first win? My over/under is 13.5 losses before winning.
      Going to be a very long spring and season for Maine Baseball.

Comment

A Boston College win tonight eliminates Maine from contention from the Hockey East regular season crown. Maine will be able to finish no higher than second. The Eagles could finish no lower than second.

Comment

Big Maine fan who just found these boards, oddly enough grew up in the Boston Area but my Dad and I would always circulate the Boston area hockey East rinks when Maine was in town while I was growing up; we even managed to make the Frozen Fours in Boston and Milwaukee. He had a friend who was at UM during the ‘93 run and spent a lot of weekends in Orono.

Been a fun season to watch on paper and it’s awesome to see some excitement return to the program. Me and the old man will be at BU/BC Saturday but we’ll be sure to find a barstool beforehand where we can get NESN for the 4:30 puck drop.

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          A Boston College win tonight eliminates Maine from contention from the Hockey East regular season crown. Maine will be able to finish no higher than second. The Eagles could finish no lower than second.
          What exactly is the perfect storm we’re rooting for this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by J33H View Post
            Maine's maximum is 29 points, so no one can get above that. Boston College (and no one else) can equal it and Maine will win the tiebreaker. If any other team gets to 29 Maine loses.

What we'd like:
            Maine sweeps Providence. Maine=29 points.
            Merrimack wins tonight. Boston College ties BU on Saturday. UNH sweeps BC next weekend. BC=29 points.
            UMass gets swept by UConn this weekend. (The UMA-UVM game would then be irrelevant) UMA=<29 points
            Lowell does no better than a split vs UNH. Beats UConn. Lowell=<29 points
            UConn sweeps UMA then loses to Lowell next weekend. UC=28 points
            The BU-NU series becomes irrelevant in this scenario.

Maine and BC finish tied for 1st, Maine wins the tiebreaker. Maine hosts #8 Northeastern or Boston University.

Comment

• Originally posted by J33H View Post
              Big Maine fan who just found these boards, oddly enough grew up in the Boston Area but my Dad and I would always circulate the Boston area hockey East rinks when Maine was in town while I was growing up; we even managed to make the Frozen Fours in Boston and Milwaukee. He had a friend who was at UM during the ‘93 run and spent a lot of weekends in Orono.

Been a fun season to watch on paper and it’s awesome to see some excitement return to the program. Me and the old man will be at BU/BC Saturday but we’ll be sure to find a barstool beforehand where we can get NESN for the 4:30 puck drop.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Always nice to have new faces.

Comment

Have a buddy who can't make the trek to Providence for the game on Saturday, so I have an extra ticket if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                  Have a buddy who can't make the trek to Providence for the game on Saturday, so I have an extra ticket if anyone is interested.
                  Tempting but I can't go

Packed house at BC tonight. Lots of fans cleverly disguised as empty seats.

Eagles lead 1-0 after 80 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    Going to be a very long spring and season for Maine Baseball.
                    Been that way for a while. I remember when baseball was the flagship there.

Oh well, Time marches on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Been that way for a while. I remember when baseball was the flagship there.

Oh well, Time marches on.
                      Oh I know, go every spring no matter what the team is....not the same is 4-sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        Oh I know, go every spring no matter what the team is....not the same is 4-sure.
                        You are the No1 black bear fan. Being one of the ten fans sitting in the bleachers on a cold miserable day.... For sure!!
                        Last edited by NorthMike; 02-28-2020, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                          You are the No1 black bear fan. Being one of the ten fans sitting in the bleachers on a cold miserable day.... For sure!!
                          Hahha on that, don't know about No1, all the crew here are imo...but I would be guilty to say I do bleed BLUE...!!!! And it is cold, wicked cold at times that it is warmer in November for a Maine football game...and 10 fans, close but there's a "little" more then that....hahahaa again....Go Maine Hockey this Saturday and beyond....!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Hahha on that, don't know about No1, all the crew here are imo...but I would be guilty to say I do bleed BLUE...!!!! And it is cold, wicked cold at times that it is warmer in November for a Maine football game...and 10 fans, close but there's a "little" more then that....hahahaa again....Go Maine Hockey this Saturday and beyond....!
                            So I guess we want UMass and UNH to win for home ice reasons.

Comment

Maine can clinch a playoff spot with a UNH loss to Lowell. A UConn win over UMass also keeps second place within reach. However, if Lowell and UConn both get a win or a tie in their games, they pass Maine and knock the Bears down to 5th in Hockey East. So if your priority is just getting Maine into the playoffs, go Lowell! If your priority is getting Maine to second overall (a long shot to be sure) then go UConn! If your priority is getting Maine home ice, then go UNH and UMass!

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Maine can clinch a playoff spot with a UNH loss to Lowell. A UConn win over UMass also keeps second place within reach. However, if Lowell and UConn both get a win or a tie in their games, they pass Maine and knock the Bears down to 5th in Hockey East. So if your priority is just getting Maine into the playoffs, go Lowell! If your priority is getting Maine to second overall (a long shot to be sure) then go UConn! If your priority is getting Maine home ice, then go UNH and UMass!
                                Well I won’t speak for everyone... but priority in my opinion should be home ice. Then you can more than likely pick up a couple wins and some momentum heading to Boston. This would continue to build up the Maine hockey resurgence. Maine fans need a good hockey east quarterfinals in Alfond.

Comment

Working...
                                X