This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    FISHMAN*81 is one of the biggest UMaine sports fans around...he tells it like it is...and some like it and some don't.
    Well said
    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
    Just win.....

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Lots of us have been around before the Alfond was built. Yet somehow you can't be a good fan unless you constantly sing the praises of the team? This years team was both frustrating and fun. They beat some good teams, lost to some teams they should have beaten but I think for all of us they exceeded expectations. While the world is in turmoil Maine hockey is a welcome distraction. I think their are folks( me included ) who are hard on the team at times. We long for the days of glory but even then we ******ed at things we thought should have gone different. Right now I'm just hoping we have a hockey season next year. Like to think I'll be back whining about losing and having fun if they once again exceed expectations. Be healthy fellow Maine fans.
      No one is saying you need to constantly sing the praises. Losing to teams like St. Lawrence was frustrating and the team and especially Red deserves criticism for playing down to opponents. But you don't need to be poopy pants about every single thing. After the BC sweep Fishy was crying about how many goals they scored instead of being happy for a bright spot in the middle of years of misery. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're a "good" fan.
      I'm not saying that the last 8 years have been good, I'm not saying Red is a good coach. I'm just saying that you don't need to fill up your Depends every time something slightly positive happens. I would say you're generally negative about the team, but you're not throwing temper tantrums when they win and don't scream "look at me I was right" when they lose. You and most other fans on here are actually level headed and call it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Lots of us have been around before the Alfond was built. Yet somehow you can't be a good fan unless you constantly sing the praises of the team? This years team was both frustrating and fun. They beat some good teams, lost to some teams they should have beaten but I think for all of us they exceeded expectations. While the world is in turmoil Maine hockey is a welcome distraction. I think their are folks( me included ) who are hard on the team at times. We long for the days of glory but even then we ******ed at things we thought should have gone different. Right now I'm just hoping we have a hockey season next year. Like to think I'll be back whining about losing and having fun if they once again exceed expectations. Be healthy fellow Maine fans.
        I'm pessimistic that next season will happen as well. I think there's a < 50-50 chance that the campus will even be open for the Fall semester.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear27 View Post
          Just because you're old doesn't mean you're a "good" fan..
          What it means is a lot of us have been following the team for a long time. We are still following the team and hoping for good results. We read everything we can about the team, follow recruiting etc. I think thats the definition of a fan.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear27 View Post
            No one is saying you need to constantly sing the praises. Losing to teams like St. Lawrence was frustrating and the team and especially Red deserves criticism for playing down to opponents. But you don't need to be poopy pants about every single thing. After the BC sweep Fishy was crying about how many goals they scored instead of being happy for a bright spot in the middle of years of misery. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're a "good" fan.
            I'm not saying that the last 8 years have been good, I'm not saying Red is a good coach. I'm just saying that you don't need to fill up your Depends every time something slightly positive happens. I would say you're generally negative about the team, but you're not throwing temper tantrums when they win and don't scream "look at me I was right" when they lose. You and most other fans on here are actually level headed and call it like it is.
            I'm guessing that you're a younger fan than most of us old geezers, and it's good to have the perspective of young-bloods who haven't been biased by past results... Dinosaurs such as myself happily wallowed in Maine's prominence/dominance for years and years, and I (for one) do feel butt-hurt by the Red Era.

My point (again) was this: Maine was only in the mix by dint of a weekend sweep at BC, which gave them an incredible 15-spot jump in the PW. I have never seen anything like that before, and I pay attention. If you care about stats, note that Maine was like #23 in the KRACH, which many of us find far more credible.

This season was a flash-in-the-pan for Red, and I don't want to see him extended on the basis of it. That would make no sense, IMO. His track record clearly indicates that he hasn't earned that, and likely never will.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-24-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              This season was a flash-in-the-pan for Red, and I don't want to see him extended on the basis of it. That would make no sense, IMO. His track record clearly indicates that he hasn't earned that, and likely never will.
              If I may chime in, I too don't think that this past season warrants an extension for Red, and next year is the true make or break season for him. If they do replicate a year like the one we just saw, maybe an extension could be worth giving. But we will have to see what happens.

The thing I worry about is that Red could be our Don Cahoon, and his replacement could end up being John Michiletto. Red is not going to be winning any national championships, but you could also do much worse than him. Maine is, nationally, a solid, middle of the road team. Certainly not world beaters, but the program's situation could be much worse than where it stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                I'm pessimistic that next season will happen as well. I think there's a < 50-50 chance that the campus will even be open for the Fall semester.
                Trump says we'll all be back to work by Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                  Trump says we'll all be back to work by Easter.
                  I'll be back at work in a couple of days, trying to manage 2 people sharing the same ventilator, and in multiple rooms.

All the while, FEMA has 20K vents in stock, which aren't available to NY as of now.

Trump is a bigly stable genius, ain't he?
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-24-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    The thing I worry about is that Red could be our Don Cahoon, and his replacement could end up being John Michiletto.......
                    Or it could be a Greg Carvel.

Comment

Assuming we have a season, won't Red be a lame duck coach nest season? Tough to recruit as a lame duck?
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If theres no season does that mean Reds current contract would be done,?

Comment

Larry Mahoney not holding back in his article about the future of Maine hockey. He dismisses the AD's excuses as to why Maine hockey hasn't been better under Gendron. Lays out AD's alternatives for the future of Gendron. Basically, he says Gendron deserves one more year and then reassess his performance. Maine is trending upward but it's incremental according to Larry. Finishing 15th in the pairwise is an improvement but does not measure up to Gendron's claims of prominence when first hired. If Doherty does not return, Tralmaks is the only returning forward with more than 9 goals in a season!

Comment

I think the real question is how long does Red want to keep coaching? Maine’s best case scenario would be that Red will retire from the head coaching position after the 20-21 season and they appoint a coach in waiting a la New Hampshire did with Umile a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                              I think the real question is how long does Red want to keep coaching? Maine’s best case scenario would be that Red will retire from the head coaching position after the 20-21 season and they appoint a coach in waiting a la New Hampshire did with Umile a couple of years ago.
                              That's a possibility. Only Gendron can answer that question.

Comment

So, I was converting the 1991 NCAA semifinal between BU and Clarkson yesterday and after the game completed I checked the tape to see if there was another game on it. There was, one I had no idea I had on tape: the 1993 NCAA Championship between Maine and LSSU. The tracking/quality is not the best, but I converted it and uploaded it to my Google Drive anyway. If there is a better copy out there let me know so I can use the space for another game.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X